Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Paramax speakers
Listener #268033 08/03/09 07:06 PM
devotee
devotee
wow I just read the http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/460/RipOff0460439.htm

It basically describes exactly the story I was told. Too funny.

PeachTree 65se, PeachTree D5 and SVS SB1000 - Stereo
M80s, M22s, SVS PB3000

Listener #268042 08/03/09 08:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There's a very similar type scam going on around here where a guy in a meat truck stops at the corner and goes house to house. The first time he stopped at my house he says, "hey I was supposed to deliver this meat to the people (points at house across the way) but I guess they're on vacation in Hawaii. So I don't want to go back with a truckload of meat or my boss will be mad, I'll cut you a hell of a deal on what I have"...

"First of all", I told the guy, "that there is my parents house, and I'm pretty sure they aren't in Hawaii. Secondly I'm a vegitarian (which isn't true, but I figured if he could bullshit me I could do the same right back to him), so I'm afraid I wouldn't be interested in any meat you might have no matter how low the price".

The guy said thanks and left. I noticed the same truck at least 3 times after that first incident... but they never came back to my house. I wonder if they listed my address as 'vegitarian' in their data banks? Lol

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #268049 08/03/09 09:15 PM
G
buff
buff
G
Thats interesting I had a similar meat truck stop by my house in quincy. The truck had a Columbia, Mo address

M80,VP150,QS8,ERD-1,XPA-2,XPA-5,UMC-10,PS3,XBOX360,Dish VIP622,PB13 Ultra,Panasonic PT-AE3000U
gmeyer #268055 08/03/09 09:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't think the meat trucks are quite the same scam. I've never bought from them, nor do I plan to, but I know people who have. They say the meat is as good or better than other pieces they've bought for the same price. I think they're just bulk sellers of meat. They could probably do without the creative marketing stories, but then I wonder if people would take more offense to a door-to-door meat salesman vs. someone which happens to have an unclaimed product which may go bad if he can't get rid of it.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #268068 08/03/09 10:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm more put off by the story. Pointing to my parents house & telling me they're in Hawaii means you've lied to my face the very first time you met me & opened your mouth. So I have no use for you.

The meat may or may not be of good value. If you like to buy your meat in bulk it may be worth a shot. But I like to pick and choose my cuts of meat myself.

So no they may not be the con artists these White Van guys are, but its still underhanded in my book. They are playing off of your sense of getting something cheap in both cases, which to me is unethical. Give me the real poop when you want to sell me something and I'll respond a lot better.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #268073 08/03/09 11:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This thread really comes down to the business practises of the companies involved. There are people/businesses out there that only want to sell you something ONCE, knowing full well what they are selling is garbage and you'll never give them your business again, but they made a quick buck which is all they care about. Other companies want your business down the road as well, so they'll do everything to make you feel confident in dealing with them.

On a slightly different note, I really would like to see the gov't crack down on telemarketers as well. Some of these people are rude and obnoxious to say the least, when you don't want whatever they're selling. One window installer/seller calls up and asks me if I want new windows installed....when I say "I don't need any", he actually says to me "why not?"......so I politely asked him if he was a fack'n moron with no understanding of the English language.

I've been approached by the dreaded "white van" three times that I can remember and the approach is nearly always the same. I'm wondering if somebody wrote a "Handbook for White Van Speaker Sellers" for these guys....

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #268092 08/04/09 02:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I hate to admit it, but I did a one week stint as a telemarketer back in my early 20's. I was trying to sell magazine subscriptions to people who already had subscribed to some magazine or another. I had a list of people who had a current subscription and I was supposed to try to sell them a 6 magazine bundle at a discounted price. What sucked is that there wasn't a variety of magazines to choose from, it was just the same old 6 magazines you had to push on these poor people.

Plenty of people sounded interested, but when they asked if they could swap out some of the one's they had no interest in for something they might like better, I had to tell them it was just the 6 I'd mentioned. So most people declined. But I couldn't let them off easily (here's the trick most people don't know), you see we were monitored, and we had to keep these people on the phone as long as possible because supposedly the longer you keep someone on the phone, the more likely they are to buy what you're trying to sell. So if they said, "no thanks", then we had to keep pressuring them until they had said 'no' three times. It's a federal law if you're a telemarketer that once the customer has said 'no' three times, you have to hang up. So if you ever get a telemarketer that you don't want to talk to, just say, "no, no, no"... and they will have no choice but to get off the phone with you.

But not many people know this, so they would always keep on talking even though I'd know they weren't interested. There were so many times I'd be sitting there wishing the person would just say 'no' three times so I could let them go, but we weren't allowed to hang up before they had said 'no' the three times. So there I'd be talking to some irate individual who didn't want the 6 stinking magazines I was trying to push on them, and all I wanted was to hear them say 'no' three times so I could stop bothering them.

Needless to say, after I recieved my first check I immediately quit, I hated having to harrass people needlessly. I didn't like telemarketers harrassing me, so I felt bad doing the same to someone else. But finding out that saying 'no' three times forced them off the phone sure came in handy!!!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #268096 08/04/09 03:07 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
 Quote:
the longer you keep someone on the phone, the more likely they are to buy what you're trying to sell.

Unless you're a jerk like I pretend to be sometimes. If I'm not pressed for time, I've got no problem playing the game and feigning interest just to use up a telemarketer's time. After all, the longer s/he's on the phone with me, the less time they have to annoy someone else in a less playful mood.

pmbuko #268100 08/04/09 03:29 AM
local
local
Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse!

Micah #268102 08/04/09 03:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
just say, "no, no, no"...

Or just say "thanks, but I'm not interested" and hang up. Most of the poor bastards that get these jobs probably couldn't find anything else, and you do what you have to when you have bills to pay. I have yet to meet a person who enjoyed working as a telemarketer.

I never get any callbacks. I also don't get many telemarketing calls any more. They must have a deadbeat file somewhere with my number in it by now.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters