Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Information: Axioms & Klipsch - Similar Sound
#26818 12/08/03 06:02 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hawkson101,

HGP is an Axiom owner who happens to live here in Austin.

BTW, I went and listened to HGP's setup yesterday and I was impressed. As his SVS was not hooked back up (he'd recently had the carpets cleaned), we listened to his setup of M60's, VP150 and QS8's without the sub.

I was hoping to hear it set up this way to determine the mid and bass capabilities of the M60's. I am trying to find a set of speakers that will reproduce the nuances found in a vinyl recording in direct analog mode (no subwoofer).

I was very pleased to find extremely detailed highs, a midrange that easily discloses nuance and a bass that speaks volumes.

I believe I may have found my speaker choice. The good thing about it is that the setup I am looking at purchasing (before custom finish) is half of what the best price of the Klipsch Reference setup I was considering.

Now it looks to be a decision as to which surrounds to get...The QS8's are very impressive (and heavy too).

I am a fan of direct radiating speakers (as that is all I have ever had), but with the experience I had yesterday, I am torn between the M22ti's and the QS8's.

I currently live in a rent house and really do not want to put 6 or more holes in the walls for the bracket for each QS8. Too bad the stands for the QS8's are not taller. At 36" plus the additional height of the speaker, they would barely rise above my SVS 20-39 PC+ in that specific corner. Decisions, decisions....

Any impressions of QS8's vs M22ti's?

Thanks for being patient with me...as my wife says "Your hearing is too good..."

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#26819 12/08/03 10:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
For surrounds, stick with the QS8. If you are going to do 7.1 it's a different story. Then the sides should be the QS8 but the rears should be direct firing (at least that seems to be the general consensus). But in a standard 5 speaker setup get the QS8. You won't be disappointed.

#26820 12/09/03 01:47 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I love my QS8's. And I agree with Zarak.

My opinion remains that the only reason to get direct radiating surrounds is if you are serious about discretely encoded 5.1 channel music (DVD-A, SACD, etc.). If you are going to be using the surround channels primarily for movies and synthesized music modes (matrixed, dsp modes, etc.), I'm not sure you can do better than the QS8's at any price.

I was *this* close to buying Klipsch speakers, and am delighted that I bought Axioms instead.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020