Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My EP500 saga
BlueJays1 #268661 08/08/09 10:59 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Right now the channel levels are all at 0 and I still have to put the volume past 12 0 clock Im not kidding. When I emailed axiom to see if this is normal (which I knew it wasnt just wanted to see what they said) JC came back and said they lowered the gain control. Its like I have to crank it past 12 with ME RIGHT NEXT TO IT IN A SMALL BEDROOM just to notice it. And if I crank it all the way it still doesnt shake my room but the bass that comes out on some parts only is a little distortion present. Something is wrong because my EP175 was actually louder. I am going to compare it to another sub and with another amp. I can watch I whole movie with the volume ALL THE WAY UP if it isnt an action movie. Even an action movie on full volume only has a little distorted parts and it doesnt even shake the small room a little. I am watching The Hulk right now with the volume ALL THER WAY UP and it doesnt even shake my small bedroom. Yup something is wrong somewhere. I always had the volume on the EP175 all the way up which leads me back to the amp.

Last edited by th3at3rguy; 08/08/09 11:33 PM.
th3at3rguy #268670 08/09/09 01:12 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I thinks its been the amp all along thats why my EP175 sub volume was up all the way all the time and at plus three on the channel level. And even then it still was not loud enough thats why I got the 500 and still a problem.

Foobarred #268671 08/09/09 01:18 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My new Oppo player has direct analog output at 5.1 can I just plug the sub out put into the sub? For that test?
 Originally Posted By: Foobarred
If you want to test the EP500 and eliminate that as a problem here's something you can try:

If you have an iPod or other MP3 player get yourself a 3.5mm to RCA adaptor cable. Turn the volume ALL THE WAY DOWN on the MP3 player. Set the gain/volume on the sub to about 1/4-1/3 of maximum. Make sure the sub is OFF then plug the MP3 player into the sub using the cable. I typically connect the left channel but I don't think it really matters. Turn on the sub and MP3 player then play a song with some good bass in it. Slowly turn the volume up on the player.

You should be able to turn the volume up pretty high on the MP3 player with the sub set at 1/4-1/3 but increase it slowly. With an EP500 you should be able to FEEL the bass from it. Especially in your small room.

If the EP500 works fine then it's an issue with your receiver's subwoofer line-level pre-out. IF you still get very little output with the MP3 player cranked up you can try turning up the EP500. If you need to get past 1/2 with the EP500 before you really feel it slamming then there's probably a problem with the EP500.

th3at3rguy #268673 08/09/09 01:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: th3at3rguy
Right now the channel levels are all at 0 and I still have to put the volume past 12 0 clock Im not kidding. When I emailed axiom to see if this is normal (which I knew it wasnt just wanted to see what they said) JC came back and said they lowered the gain control. Its like I have to crank it past 12 with ME RIGHT NEXT TO IT IN A SMALL BEDROOM just to notice it. And if I crank it all the way it still doesnt shake my room but the bass that comes out on some parts only is a little distortion present. Something is wrong because my EP175 was actually louder. I am going to compare it to another sub and with another amp. I can watch I whole movie with the volume ALL THE WAY UP if it isnt an action movie. Even an action movie on full volume only has a little distorted parts and it doesnt even shake the small room a little. I am watching The Hulk right now with the volume ALL THER WAY UP and it doesnt even shake my small bedroom. Yup something is wrong somewhere. I always had the volume on the EP175 all the way up which leads me back to the amp.

Those channel levels you speak of are very important. You will have a channel level for each of your speakers and subwoofer. If they are all set to 0, go into the subwoofer channel level in your receiver and increase it from 0 to +2 (the receiver manual will be of great reference). Then play around with the 500 volume knob and see if you notice any difference beginning at the starting position to the 12 0'clock position and beyond if need be. If there is a noticable difference and it is not satisfactory enough increase this setting to +3 or +4, try again and come back to us with your thoughts.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #268678 08/09/09 02:43 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
You can connect the Oppo directly, you should be able to do the same test there. Only thing you need is the subwoofer. My living room is about 20X20 with another 10x6 hallway leading to the door (about an 8' ceiling). With the EP500, I could *NOT* watch hulk at full volume. It literally would have knocked down some pictures on the wall. So something is quite wrong. Make sure you tell Oppo that you have small speakers and that sub is active.

BTW, out of curiosity, are you setting the SACD preference to DSD or PCM?

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Hansang #268680 08/09/09 02:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
th3at3rguy did mention that axiom has changed the sensitivity of the amp. The 500 just might need the singal/voltage increased from the receiver to get it set up properly. I do not think he has tried this yet.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
th3at3rguy #268690 08/09/09 05:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My new Oppo player has direct analog output at 5.1 can I just plug the sub out put into the sub? For that test?

Yes, you can do that, and it is a really good test as it eliminates all other variables. But start with the volume knob on the EP500 all the way down. Bring it up gradually. Running a full line level, like the outputs on the back of a player, is the same as having volume turned all the way up (-0 dB) on a receiver.

The Oppo does have it's own volume control too. Make sure it is at 100%.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, just hook the Left of the stereo out of the Oppo to the sub. That way you won't have to full with the cross over settings in the player. You should just be able play a CD, and hear the bass portion of the music coming from the sub.

Last edited by ClubNeon; 08/09/09 05:18 AM.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
BlueJays1 #268746 08/09/09 08:01 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
When I try and do this the bass gets distorted instead of louder so I really cant.
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House

Those channel levels you speak of are very important. You will have a channel level for each of your speakers and subwoofer. If they are all set to 0, go into the subwoofer channel level in your receiver and increase it from 0 to +2 (the receiver manual will be of great reference). Then play around with the 500 volume knob and see if you notice any difference beginning at the starting position to the 12 0'clock position and beyond if need be. If there is a noticable difference and it is not satisfactory enough increase this setting to +3 or +4, try again and come back to us with your thoughts.

th3at3rguy #268747 08/09/09 08:03 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I am starting to think I do have a problem with the Sherwood R772. It has 2 sub modes, normal and subwoofer Plus. It has been at sub plus the whole time because when I put it to normal the sub doesnt work at all. It did the same thing with the EP175.

th3at3rguy #268758 08/09/09 09:45 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I finally was able to listen to another EP500 (older model) and it sounded alot better. Im wonder why they changed it I think the older version sounds better. I might ask for an older amp and send them back this version. It sounded better for movies and music his whole living room shaked during demo. His gain was at like 10 0 clock and it blew mine away all the way up.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters