Print Thread
Rate Thread
I don't know which is worse...
#27103 12/07/03 08:03 PM
Reed Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I don't know which is worse picking out a receiver or trying to get good quality cables without spending as much as I did on the receiver! I started this endeavor to put together a great HT about a month ago. After hours and hours of research I came down to Axiom as the best value out there. Kind of weird not having heard them, but my local stores are crap so I don't have anything to compare to. I finally made the trip to a big name, higher end store yesterday to piece things together and make final decisions on components. There I listened to systems which have been compared to Axiom and was pleased. If the Axioms sound almost as good, they really are a huge bargain.

After fretting over it for a long time and wanting a 10+ year receiver (that does not limit my potential) I finally bought an HK 7200 for 1/2 the MSRP through an online certified HK dealer. That was after having been on the showroom floor 30 minutes earlier with a salesperson trying to sell it to me for MSRP! :-)

Then came the cable search, having read posts on this topic on this board and others I thought it would be a quick step. NOT! Spent hours last night sifting through the different specifications / brands / prices / etc. Finally I was going bug-eyed and finally came back to bluejeanscable as recommended by others in this community! As for speaker wire I think I will go with Axiom up front and cheaper hi def monster out back. I don't want to even think about it any more.

The really funny part though is I still haven't ordered my speakers. Planning on getting around to that in the next couple of weeks, still arguing with myself over the sub and fronts I want. My wife thinks I'm nuts and now many of you probably do too for having bought my receiver and cables prior to my speakers, but hey, I wasn't planning on any of this untill spring anyway (budget wise) but I got to the point at which I just couldn't wait any more.

So as for my sub:

HSU STF-3?
or
SVS PB1?

Really could use help here..... does anyone know how to compare these two other than the basic specs. Does one sound more hash, more musical, more smooth? Does one blend with system better?

Re: I don't know which is worse...
#27104 12/07/03 09:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
as far as cable goes. dont even bother with the monster. the home depot stuff will be fine. i think parts express sells some stuff called sound king or something thats decent as well. I dont know if i would even bother with axiom cables up front. besides the fact that they look good and are terminated nicely.

Re: I don't know which is worse...
#27105 12/07/03 11:57 PM
local
local
In reply to:

As for speaker wire I think I will go with Axiom up front and cheaper hi def monster out back. I don't want to even think about it any more.

Based on others recommendations and my burgeoning stack of research, I would recommend two other solutions:
Easy way
Hard Way

In reply to:

but hey, I wasn't planning on any of this untill spring anyway (budget wise) but I got to the point at which I just couldn't wait any more.

I'm fast approaching the same weakness myself. Must remain strong!

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 726 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup