Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: iPad!
Ken.C #289029 01/28/10 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I'm reserving judgment until the thing ships.

Reports say you cannot even do the simple task of browsing the web and listening to music. That is just lame. They better tweak this thing before it comes to market but I doubt it. It also doesn't have an oled screen that some might prefer. Whats going to happen is Apple knows people will pay a premium for an inferior product (from what they expected) anyways because of the apple branding. Then they will come out with a version 2 a year later that will fix some of these issues.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #289030 01/28/10 05:32 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
 Originally Posted By: CV

12. The name iPad...o.k.ok, its funny, I like it...insert joke here__________________

Hey, no cop outs. We need actual jokes.

You know apple always screws early adopters. Version 2 will be called MAXiPad.

Somebody probably has already photoshopped a maxi pad box with an apple logo on it....lol \:D

There's already a MadTV skit for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

Seriously though, it looks like a neat product but not at that price point. Seems like it's a lot to pay to surf the net. Even surfing was sluggish in the demo, likely due to the weak CPU. Not sure I'd want to do a lot of typing using the onscreen keyboard either.

BlueJays1 #289031 01/28/10 05:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with the missing features list making this a serious disappointment from a company known for bringing innovation.

Unless you have vision problems, there is no reason to buy this over a regular Touch or iPhone.

True it will cost you half as much in data and contract fees over a two year period, As calculated here, but that is because it does not have a phone. If you are OK with no phone, then get an iPod touch, then you have zero costs after purchase.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
BlueJays1 #289032 01/28/10 05:41 PM
shareholder in the making
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I'm reserving judgment until the thing ships.

Reports say you cannot even do the simple task of browsing the web and listening to music. That is just lame. They better tweak this thing before it comes to market but I doubt it. It also doesn't have an oled screen that some might prefer. Whats going to happen is Apple knows people will pay a premium for an inferior product (from what they expected) anyways because of the apple branding. Then they will come out with a version 2 a year later that will fix some of these issues.

Perhaps you can't listen to music from Pandora (which I think is what they're really talking about in the ones I've read), but you most certainly can listen to it with the iPod app--just like on an iPhone or an iPod Touch.

Further, OLED screens simply aren't available in that size for any reasonable amount of money.

Some find that the user interface and general experience is worth any supposed premium they're paying for the product.

Still, I'm not buying one, not because of this, but because I simply don't see a reason to drop $500 on anything like that. Or even $200.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #289036 01/28/10 06:35 PM
N
veteran
veteran
N
I don't need to buy one. As far as I know of, I don't have any digital leakage. Yet.

Don't die with a clean shop!
NDinUSA #289045 01/28/10 07:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: NDinUSA
I don't need to buy one. As far as I know of, I don't have any digital leakage. Yet.

Yeah, but what about after you press "memo pause".

Edit: Isn't this avatar annoying?

Last edited by CatBrat; 01/28/10 07:15 PM.
CatBrat #289055 01/28/10 08:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Absolutely not. I Love that avatar.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
BlueJays1 #289071 01/28/10 10:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: Listener
I was actually waiting for this thing for quite a while, but I doubt I'll end up getting one. There are a few missing features which kill this thing for me.

1. No front facing camera(No camera at all) so can't use it with skype.
2. I wish it could stream music to airport express to control my HT.
3. No Flash support.

4. No OS X
5. No Multitasking (making this device lame!)
6. No USB Ports
7. No SD or MicroSD slot
8. Crappy battery life
9. Expensive
10. A little big for portability (not the biggest issue I have)
11. No HDMI
12. The name iPad...o.k.ok, its funny, I like it...insert joke here__________________

Reminds me of Bose... hey it looks nice and will probably be easy to use but it is missing a lot of basics, comes with a hefty price tag and will have a lot marketing behind it. Now go buy me! \:o

I think too many people were expecting this to be the Jesus Pad -- come done from on high to save us all from our tech deficiencies. This device is not a replacement for your much more capable laptop or desktop computer.

Look, this device is version el numero uno.
People panned the first iPod -- "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame." You know what's happened since then.
People panned the first iPhone -- WHAT?! NO COPY/PASTE? You know what's happened since then.
Everyone and their geek brother is panning the iPad -- (I'll spare you the examples). Yep -- you know what's going to happen.

I am intrigued by it for sure, but I will withhold hard judgements until I've actually help it and used it myself.

pmbuko #289085 01/28/10 11:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
IMO there is some major oversights with this device as noted above for what it is trying to accomplish. More serious than not having wifi on a MP3 player(pointless feature on that device IMO). But I know what you mean, you do not want to be an early adopter with Apple products especially with their portable devices.

I guess I have to look forward to Microsofts Courier or something else similar . Maybe MS will show some innovation and not just release a glorified and more expensive Microsoft Zune HD with a product name relating to feminine hygiene. I won't hold my breath, there no better. ;\)

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
CatBrat #289092 01/29/10 01:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
 Originally Posted By: NDinUSA

Yeah, but what about after you press "memo pause".

Edit: Isn't this avatar annoying?

What is it....Gumby with constipation?

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hambrabi, rrlev), 1,074 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup