C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
There were a lot of crappy movies before the current generation. For each of the good ones you remember, there were ten that did nothing to challenge or entertain the viewer. And I'll take entertaining over challenging anytime. Most of the times when people try to be artistic it just comes across as pretentious and annoying. It's just as hard to make an entertaining movie that works as it is to make a thinking man's movie that works. If you can pull off both at the same time, then, well, you're a miracle worker. PT Anderson and Darren Aronofsky fall short of that for me, but I don't really have anyone else to offer up in their place. Also, count me in the group of people who don't appreciate Hitchcock. Blame my short attention span, but I've never been absorbed into one of his movies.

Re: Receiver recommendations
CV #294916 03/03/10 07:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah Charles I’m not a Hitchcock fan, movies or TV either. I was more of a Rod Serling person. Also looks like my liking of older movies is different from audiosavant. I liked it when the good-guys were good and the bad-guys were bad and the good-guys killed the bad-guys w/o any moral ambiguity. Not that I don’t mind a complex story but it’s just, as you point out Charles, to often they come across as pretentious.

The other thing I like about older movies, often very older, is the dialogue and that they were more character driven. Not that I don’t mind a good action movie but I’ve seen enough car chases to know how they go. “G-Force” is the only recent movie with a car chase I liked because it was a little different. This really shows up in the anime I prefer which have less action and more character interaction like in “Death Note.” Now there’s a show that puts Hitchcock to shame IMO.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
CV #294917 03/03/10 08:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
"To...nights stawry, is about a man with a shawt attention shpan"

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #294929 03/03/10 09:56 PM
devotee
devotee
Don't get wrong guys, I LOVE modern films. And ones that just seek to entertain also. Nothing wrong with mindless fun, but...

Music and film are things I care deeply about. And as an art form, film has everything that I love. Visuals, sound design, music, lighting, etc., so it's somewhat sacred to me. I just enjoy craft and quality. Whether it's a popular film or a mainstream blockbuster. Or conversely, a Top Ten pop song or a symphony. Either way, they should be of high quality and not insult your intelligence.

And films that are pretentious and "artsy" for their own sake are just as annoying to me as something that is utter garbage like Transformers (you can actually feel your IQ going down while watching Michael Bay movies). Time is precious, why waste it on mediocre crap?

I know people sometimes say about critics: "Movie/music reviews are just opinions and are no more valid than my own." Uh, unless you know the medium, no. They are informed opinions by (if they are a legitimate critic) people who know an artist/director's work, the history of film/music and can discuss film/music from a technical and artistic aspect. And even if they disagree, there are subtle points that can be learned by both the pros and cons.

That's why Citizen Kane is still being studied in film schools, because it's a work of art that withstands the test of time and takes the medium seriously and is entertaining. Good work sustains, ie. The Beatles, Stanley Kubrick, Monty Python, Mozart, Picasso, etc.

And Grunt, I'm not just into the subversive/anti-hero stuff, lol. I love the old John Ford films and John "motherhumpin' Wayne pilgim! I grew up in the late 60's/early 70's, so I was raised on the "good guys wear white" paradigm.

I'm also with you on the 30's/40's black and white film noir stuff. Hard boiled, two-fisted Raymond Chandler, pal. James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart... And don't even get me started on the dames from back then! Va Va Voom!!! I can't stand where "beauty" has evolved to for a lot of mainstream people. Fake tits, bad plastic surgery, ugh. The barbie doll cookie cutter stripper look. I'll take a buxom burlesque chick from the 50's any day over Pam Anderson wannabes. But I have digressed a bit haven't I? Thinking about "Bettys" does that to me... ;\)

But if you want to know who is kicking America's ass this century in film making, it's the Asians. From anime to revenge and horror films, the Asians are doing the most cutting edge and original stuff right now imo.

If you haven't seen the Korean film 'Old Boy' yet, you really, really should because if you like brilliant film making, it's one of the best movies ever made. Beautifully shot, great soundtrack, acting, script and direction with a story that will blow your mind.

But please watch it in it's original Korean language, it's much better...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

Adrian #294932 03/03/10 10:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I love the Clockwork Orange movie. I used to hate musicals, but as my tastes matured, I recently bought Fiddler on the Roof and like it as well. But, alas, I'm not a big fan of Hitchcock, nor most (all?) of the black and white stuff.

CatBrat #294937 03/03/10 10:56 PM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I love the Clockwork Orange movie. I used to hate musicals, but as my tastes matured, I recently bought Fiddler on the Roof and like it as well. But, alas, I'm not a big fan of Hitchcock, nor most (all?) of the black and white stuff.

If I vas a vich man, dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dooo...

Love that musical!

It's funny, I used to freaking hate musicals, but as I'm getting older, I'm starting to really dig them. Especially seeing them live and in person.

Of course, being a rock and roller, my favorite two musicals are Rocky Horror and Hedwig.

Hmmm, transvestites and musicals...

Oh noz! I wonder if I'm turning teh gay!

But hey, I suppose it's okay to be a "little" gay, no?

Cue Ethel Merman: "There's no business like show business!"

But having said that, Andrew Lloyd Webber is the Michael Bay of musicals...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #294954 03/04/10 02:30 AM
D
old hand
old hand
D
In my day, a tranny was a transmission, not a freak!

darcman #295091 03/04/10 10:26 PM
veteran
veteran
Without offending people, I must be so bold as to suggest if you don't like Hitchcock, you don't like film/cinema (at least as an art-form, vs movies as an entertainment vehicle).

I would also recommend Oldboy, but be forewarned, the film scores rather high on the disturbing scale.

Craig_P #295099 03/04/10 11:16 PM
So what Craig_P and audiosavant are saying is that movies as an art-form cannot be subjective?

<sprays accelerant over a match>

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #295101 03/04/10 11:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I refuse to watch "boring" TV. For me that is Crime dramas, Police stories, Doctor stories, Medical fix-em-up stories, boring black and white movies (including Alfred Hitchcock), TV sitcoms.

I enjoy artistic and the unusual, though.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters