Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New TiVo--what do you guys think?
PeterChenoweth #294885 03/03/10 05:32 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
I just find it hard to believe that paying for TV shows via iTunes or other can be as economical as getting them all-ish over the cable/satellite pipe for a flat rate/month.
My other issue is that it's not possible to legitimately get auto racing without paying for cable or satellite. Yes, you can see the 3 races that get shown per year on broadcast, but that ain't enough to really understand what's going on with a championship.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #294888 03/03/10 05:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I pay roughly 88.00 months for everything including HD channels, minus the movie channels, the ones that run only old movies, Also, it includes rental for HD-PVR cause I was stupid enough to believe they were coming up with a new model in just a short while. Wrong choice.

Neither my wife or I watch a lot of TV, I think. I threw the nine regular shows that I could think of into a spreadsheet and added up the 1.99 for SD and threw in some in HD for 2.99. I'm already at $96.00 a month based on an episode/week times 4 weeks.

So for the luxury of watching when I want (which the PVR mostly lets me do anyways) I'm already over what I paid before and that's without accounting for any random, spur of the moment programming I might choose on top of it.

The web page mentions a "season's pass" choice which might be more economical but I think I may watch less TV than many people so I can't imagine how this would be economical for a more avid watcher.

Definitely a cool device though that I wish I could justify owning. It does many things besides TV, as has been pointed out.

Last edited by Murph; 03/03/10 06:05 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Ken.C #294905 03/03/10 07:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I just find it hard to believe that paying for TV shows via iTunes or other can be as economical as getting them all-ish over the cable/satellite pipe for a flat rate/month.
My other issue is that it's not possible to legitimately get auto racing without paying for cable or satellite. Yes, you can see the 3 races that get shown per year on broadcast, but that ain't enough to really understand what's going on with a championship.

I don't disagree. The cost model isn't quite there yet. But it's also highly dependent on what and how many shows you watch.

I know people that pay $50-$60-$80+/month to watch four or five shows a week. Shows where the "Season Pass" via iTunes (or whatever) would be $12-$15 per show. So paying $60, $80, $100 for every episode of the half dozen shows you watch is actually less than paying $60-$80/month for the 3/4 months each "season" runs.

But of course, if you watch four-dozen different shows, all the time, or just like to channel surf, then an ala-carte model doesn't work so well.

And absolutely, sporting events are a problem. Though I think they'll figure it out. NFL Sunday Ticket works, as do Pay-Per-View events. But no, until you can just click a few buttons and watch that race or game that's occuring right now, it won't work.

It's getting there, however. I noticed our AppleTV had many of the Olympic events broken down into individual programs. So if you wanted to watch just figure skating, you could buy the Ladies' Short Program, or the Long Program, or Men's practice, or the whole season pass for all of the men's or women's figure skating events, etc. They didn't have it for every event but they had several of them. But it was the day after the event actually aired, making it less useful. Had those events been live, that would have been quite nice to just "buy a ticket" to those individual events. Rather than having to sit through the 4-hour block of NBC's programming just to get to the 30 minutes of event that I cared about, for example.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #294939 03/03/10 11:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,044 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup