C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Oh, and here's one more, since I've replaced some of the ceiling tiles above the theater area. I only bought one set of 20 because I didn't know how they would look, but I'm happy enough with them that I'll get some more and expand the coverage. They're the 1" thick fiberglass ones on Amazon.com. There are probably better options out there, but in the searching I was doing, I wasn't finding them. Do you think I should get some 2x2 sound diffuser panels as well and mix them in? I probably don't want absorptive panels over the entire area, right?

Re: CV's Subterranean Adventure
CV #407271 09/17/14 05:10 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ouch. We decided we wanted someone else to come and finish the kitchen for us, so I had a place from just up the road come look at the situation and give us an estimate. Granted, there are a couple of wrinkles that would make it a little difficult, but I wasn't expecting a $10k estimate. The whole reason we went with IKEA cabinets to begin with was to avoid spending $20k on just the kitchen portion of the renovation, but after the custom doors and fronts, another $10k on top of that would put us pretty close to $20k. So we'll have to look at other options. Any of you want to come do all of the work for us?

CV #407274 09/17/14 11:21 AM
Nick is your man. But the alligators need to be well fed.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
CV #407275 09/17/14 11:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I know it's easy to say when you are far away but if I were close, I'd gladly come help out with anything except seam filling. I shall never do that particular job again. If there is a hell, I expect that's all I will be doing there.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CV #407299 09/18/14 06:43 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ha ha, thanks, guys.

One good thing. I decided to finally give up on the apron sink for the kitchen. It would have take some real finagling to make it work, since IKEA doesn't make a cabinet that will work for the sink I bought without modifying it. I also didn't double-check the plans well enough when I had the design done, so they left the cabinet doors too tall for the sink cabinet, and those plans went to Semihandmade, who made my custom doors and fronts. So to make this sink work would have required either cutting the cabinet down and building supports for it, or buying a new base cabinet for it, as well as cutting down the doors. I really like the look and size of the sink, but I'm finally ready to let that slight preference go and get a drop-in to simplify everything.

I was looking at something along the lines of this one: Kohler Vault K-3821. Thoughts? I mean, I'll try to find another brand that isn't so expensive. I still like stainless steel for it, especially with the oven being the only other stainless steel in the kitchen at this point. It seems like it would be odd not to give it a sibling.

We may be going with cultured marble for the countertop. My dad was pleased with the shower and vanity countertop he had done for his bathroom, so I'm willing to hear them out. Here is a page with some photos:

Columbia Cultured Marble - Kitchen Showcase

I'm not sure if I'll go darker or lighter than the floor, but I'm pretty sure I want a good contrast.

For the bathroom, I was considering a wall-mount sink to keep it feeling more open, as well as just a mirror instead of a medicine cabinet, instead just relying on some floating shelves to keep handy what I use. But I'm back and forth on that. I'm at the point where I just want to keep things moving forward.

I bought a waste can for my bathroom, and I was surprised to see it was made in Canada. Umbra Garbino

CV #407304 09/18/14 11:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Since we do a lot of complaining, I like when I get to point out exceptional service to keep it fair.

As an FYI, we purchased a Silgranit kitchen sink from Blanco and while we are happy with the sink, we are even happier with the unusually pleasant service we have received post sale.

Our sink developed a hairline crack along the bottom that we brought to thier attention to see what would happen. It didn't leak but it was noticeable and we wore concerned it would grow. They asked for pictures both from above and below which was fair enough.

I should point out that this was over 6 years after the purchase so we fully expected them to tell us we must have done 'something' wrong and fight us on the warranty. However, in a matter of days, a new sink arrived at our door.

Twice since, we had an issue with the stoppers not being watertight. The new ones just didn't fit perfectly in the new sink. Both times, we had a new stopper in a matter of days. The second time they apologized as they were realizing that the rubber gasket used was defective from thier supplier for a while and assured us they had corrected it and sent us two new stoppers via next-day delivery.

It's rare to see a company stand behind thier products so well these days so I thought it's worth mentioning since you provided the opportunity. If they have a product you like, I recommend them for peace of mind.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #407311 09/18/14 06:39 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Good to know! I was actually looking at one of their sinks since I like the black look, too.

CV #407467 09/27/14 08:45 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Remind me what brands of home theater seating you've liked the most. Or normal theater seating if it's available for purchase by ordinary consumers. I'm going to check out one store this weekend, but I'm afraid they'll be asking more than I'll want to pay.

CV #407473 09/27/14 05:53 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Just like food the best is always...free.
We just lucked out, were given a like new love seat and sofa which went into our living room.
This was perfect timing as the love seat (screen room) and recliners (previously in the LR)are no longer commercially available (they are awesome and they match).
I know its not relevant here, just got exited and had to share.
But seriously, looking around for like new seats might save you a pile of cash.

brwsaw #407543 10/07/14 06:16 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
But seriously, looking around for like new seats might save you a pile of cash.

I like the theater seats at one of the local theaters, and I actually messaged them a while back to see if they could add some more to their order for the new theater they're building. They said they actually had plenty of extras from the existing theater, since they decided to give more leg room between rows. He said he could sell them to me at $150 per seat, which seemed like a steal, but the guy of theirs who was supposed to contact me never did, and subsequent messages never got another response. Which I suppose is fine, since they don't really go with the color scheme I have going, but still, that was before I'd decided on colors, so it would have informed my choices.

In any case, every time I look through craigslist for seating in the area, it's never anything I want. I'd better start looking more seriously, though, so I have something to sit on when it gets to the point that I can move my system downstairs.

Hopefully I'll have some new pics to post soon. The interior doors are finally being installed. I need to catch the guy before he puts the trim around the bathroom and bedroom doors, to make sure the gaps are filled with insulation and/or caulk so I can limit sound transmission where possible. I'll also get custom door sweeps and whatever else I can do to make a good seal.

Page 20 of 41 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 40 41

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters