Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
2 registered (wschwartz, MarkSJohnson), 96 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12710 Members
11 Forums
22685 Topics
400510 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17696
pmbuko 16225
SirQuack 13311
CV 11062
MarkSJohnson 10680
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 43 of 60 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 59 60 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#303967 - 04/30/10 12:51 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: CatBrat]
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
My god, that's what I always hear in my mind when I read/hear "New York City."

#303968 - 04/30/10 12:57 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: Ken.C]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
@Ken: ha! Cool.

"I have achieved hivemind with Ken. His resistance is futile."

- medic8r of Borg

#303981 - 04/30/10 01:39 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: medic8r]
ClubNeon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Western Maryland, USA
Somewhat on topic for your thread. My creative heroes talk about drugs.
-Chris

#309934 - 06/09/10 01:54 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: ClubNeon]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Here's a great article on the many aspects of patient non-compliance/non-adherence. In layman's terms - why don't people take the medications that are prescribed for them? Also, why do they sometimes too trusting of anything sold at a nutrition store?

#309938 - 06/09/10 02:09 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: medic8r]
Ken.C Offline

Amen, brother. I'm sort of the opposite. I don't trust supplements, but I do trust medications.

#309944 - 06/09/10 02:46 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: Ken.C]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
I didn't read the article, but I think patient non-compliance relates to pervasive consumerism.

Since individuals rarely have to pay for the full cost of office calls, they tend not to fully comprehend the value of the service. Most people inherently believe that "you get what you pay for" and since they do not perceive that they are paying for the professional advice, they justify ignoring it. Conversely, they DO have to pay "retail" for supplements, so they tend to justify that expenditure as valid.

Personally, I'm pretty much with Ken. If I'm going to engage health care professionals, why would I pay for their knowledge and then ignore it?

#309950 - 06/09/10 03:13 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: tomtuttle]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
The only medication I have ever taken regularly are pills for cholesterol. Actually, my bad fat levels are great but I am low on the good fats, the mono- and poly-unsaturated fats I think. I don't think my Doctor was very impressed with me when she explained this all out to me, sat there waiting for my reply with her usual stern look and then I replied "Whoohoo! More Peanuts!!"

In any case, it took me forever to get into the routine of taking a daily pill. Not because I don't value their worth or I don't value the advice of my doctor, I am simply a horribly forgetful person. Plus, they are supposed to be taken before bed as the body produces the enzymes or something or other that I am low on while you sleep. Quiet often, I stay up too late and I barely make it to the bed, much less remember to take a pill. Now that I am in the routine, it's more second nature but it took me months to become good at it.

Short version, not everybody lacks comprehension. Some of us just suck at breaking routines.

#309952 - 06/09/10 03:26 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: medic8r]
sonicfox Offline
aficionado

Loc: Davenport, Iowa, USA
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
Here's a great article on the many aspects of patient non-compliance/non-adherence. In layman's terms - why don't people take the medications that are prescribed for them? Also, why do they sometimes too trusting of anything sold at a nutrition store?

Thanks for this article, JP. My dad is a supplement junky. Whenever I get sick, he asks what type of supplements I'm taking. When I tell him only a multivitamin and an extra Vitamin C, he says, "well, apparently they're not the right ones". I get SO frustrated! In fact, I'm seem him get sick FROM supplements mainly with rashes and stomach problems.

Anyway, here's a funny story. He got sent a supplement in the mail he claimed he didn't order. Well, he previously ordered it and was sent another one on their auto-ship program. When I asked him if they informed him he was going to be enrolled in the program, he said he didn't remember. Then I asked him what the supplement was for, and he said, "I think it's for your memory...but, I don't remember". We both got a good laugh out that one!

I gotta hand it to my dad though...he's almost 82 and has never had any serious health issues. He's still very active, but I don't credit it to supplements.
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD

#309953 - 06/09/10 03:29 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: sonicfox]
Ken.C Offline

Sounds like my grandmother. She'll take just about anything or do just about anything that says it'll keep her healthy. Or at least if Dr. Weil says it will.

On the other hand, she's 81 and healthy as a horse, as near as we can tell.

#309954 - 06/09/10 03:35 PM Re: J.P.'s office [Re: sonicfox]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

That's a good story!

Supplements can be helpful for some, but they are certainly not cure-alls. There's a lot of snake oil out there.

Page 43 of 60 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 59 60 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.