Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Rear ports of M60
Ken.C #312347 06/28/10 05:57 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
What Ken said.

The speakers are just revealing more short comings when the volume is turned up. This is a trait I have exclaimed about the M60. It sounds more like the M80s when the volume is increased but when the volume is low the M60 is reasonably laid back and poor recordings are acceptable on them.

I recently listened to a set of Monitor Audio speakers. On my M80s and many other speakers Dianna Krall has a very noticeable sibilance on her discs. On the Monitor Audio RX-8(?) she had no sibilance what so ever, but to me this made her seem lifeless. The highs were subdued, yet still there, not very lifelike IMO. I commented on this to the salesman and he agreed and mentioned how he wished they wouldn't overdrive everything live and then said I need to listen to the gold series much more open and lifelike as I was describing.

Different speakers for different sound preferences.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Ken.C #312352 06/28/10 06:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
the silk dome tweeters can make a HUGE difference... i auditioned a pair of boston acustics that were their top end model, they were using a titanium tweeter, they sounded alright, but like your saying the highs were just to bright for me... next i auditioned a set of Dynaudio speakers.... with a silk dome tweeter... the Dyn's sounded WAY better to me, and thats what i ended up buying. It was ALL because of the tweeter, so like someone before said, maybe the m60's just aren't for "you" or aren't for you anymore.. maybe you would be happier with a pair of ERT-8.3's..

one has to keep in mind this hobby is VERY subjective... you can show a bunch of charts to someone, but at the end of the day, EVERYONES ears are different, so no matter what the numbers say.......

on the M60's one thing you might try... get a piece of tissue paper and some scotch tape, and tape a piece of tissue paper over the tweeter, see if that does anything... I do realize this is not the most scientific approach, but I'm sure you have these items lying around the house, and it would only take 5 minutes.. worth a shot right?

dakkon #312355 06/28/10 06:13 PM
J
J
It's not so much the material of the tweeter, it is how it is implemented. I have heard some titanium tweeter speakers that are quite laid back, the M3 for example.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
dakkon #312356 06/28/10 06:15 PM
J
J
Originally Posted By: dakkon

on the M60's one thing you might try... get a piece of tissue paper and some scotch tape, and tape a piece of tissue paper over the tweeter, see if that does anything... I do realize this is not the most scientific approach, but I'm sure you have these items lying around the house, and it would only take 5 minutes.. worth a shot right?
He already has, see his post a few back. He liked what it did.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Ken.C #312359 06/28/10 06:19 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
It's the mastering, not the quality of your FLACs. Not a whole lot you can do about that, unless you have a great deal of pull with the band and/or label.

Actually the music I've been listening to this morning is Steely Dan Gaucho, a 96kHz/24bit version and it is recorded exceptionally well. I understand that music can be well done or a big mess...I have some of both from compiling my music library for years.

"Real Gun Control Is Hitting What You Aim At" - can't remember
edmondwolfman #312360 06/28/10 06:23 PM
Oh fine. wink

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
edmondwolfman #312361 06/28/10 06:26 PM
If you're listening to Gaucho and it sounds bright, then it's very likely your room in my opinion.

Yes, different strokes for different folks and we all hear differently from each other. Most (though certainly not all) that call Axioms bright are using poorly-recorded material.

But to feel that a well-known, excellent recording sounds bright... I'm really guessing it's your room.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #312363 06/28/10 06:28 PM
I'm still not sure why you don't want to try turning down the treble 2dB.

Can you just try a throw rug temporarily to see if that helps? Even if it won't work as a long-term solution?

dakkon #312364 06/28/10 06:31 PM
the silk dome tweeters can make a HUGE difference... i auditioned a pair of boston acustics that were their top end model, they were using a titanium tweeter, they sounded alright, but like your saying the highs were just to bright for me... next i auditioned a set of Dynaudio speakers.... with a silk dome tweeter... the Dyn's sounded WAY better to me, and thats what i ended up buying. It was ALL because of the tweeter

Dakkon, when the speaker manufacturer, driver manufacturer, crossover, electronics and the room are all different, how can you say that the difference was the tweeter...period?

Quote:
one has to keep in mind this hobby is VERY subjective... you can show a bunch of charts to someone, but at the end of the day, EVERYONES ears are different, so no matter what the numbers say.......

Agreed...

dakkon #312370 06/28/10 06:46 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
the silk dome tweeters can make a HUGE difference... i auditioned a pair of boston acustics that were their top end model, they were using a titanium tweeter, they sounded alright, but like your saying the highs were just to bright for me... next i auditioned a set of Dynaudio speakers.... with a silk dome tweeter... the Dyn's sounded WAY better to me, and thats what i ended up buying. It was ALL because of the tweeter, so like someone before said, maybe the m60's just aren't for "you" or aren't for you anymore.. maybe you would be happier with a pair of ERT-8.3's..

In a previous post I stated that earlier I had actually taken a shop towel and tri folded it and taped over both tweeters, left and right and that knocked out quite a bit of the shimmer that seems to get to me. It was a lot more than just tissue grin

"Real Gun Control Is Hitting What You Aim At" - can't remember
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020