Print Thread
Rate Thread
QS4 surrounds
#31674 01/22/04 07:11 PM
allenh Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Need some advice. Looking at purchasing set of qs4's to complete my 7.1 setup.I currently have a set of Polk rm6500 sattelites, 2 in front, 1 center, and 2 rear surrounds. Am I better off putting the qs4's as rear surrounds, and moving the Polk sattelites to the side surrounds, or using the qs4's as side surrounds and leaving the polk's in the rear? Also any issues with hanging the qs4's on the wall or mounting them from the ceiling, since if I use them as side surrounds, that is what will be necessary since my family room is open on one wall to the kitchen. Pls email to allen.hecht@bankofamerica.com. Also, has anyone purchased "seconds" from the axiom store? If so, what condition are they in?

Re: QS4 surrounds
#31675 01/22/04 07:24 PM
aficionado
aficionado
HI Allen
welcome to the Axiom board! I'll try to answer some of your questions here but there will be others that'll do a better job on your specific QS4 question. As far as ordering factory seconds, don't worry about it. The consensus on the forum among people who've order, say there is very little, if anything wrong with their speakers. It is never anything that would affect the sound/operation of your speaker, but is going to be something cosmetic - usually a small nick on one surface. You will likely have to look over the speaker very closely to ever find anything - if you do.

As far as setup of your speakers, if you do buy the QS4, they'd go better on the sides, rather than in the rear. In fact, a 7.1 setup is generally thought to be better with omni/bi-polar speakers to the side and direct radiating to the rear. But I (and others too I'm sure) will caution you as to the reason for adding the extra 2 speakers. If it is to enjoy 7.1 sound for movies, it may not be worth the extra cost. One member here, Spiffnme, added the 2 rear speakers a while back and said he wished he'd saved his money and not bothered. There are so few DVDs that are encoded with 7.1 that it's not really worth it. However, if you're adding the QS4s to use for movies, and then switch to the direct-radiating for 5 channel music (SACD or DVD-Audio) that might be a good idea. A lot of purists like the direct-radiating sound for rear speakers with multi-channel audio, not a dispersed sound as from the QS4. But the QS4 would give you superior surround sound for movies. So it really comes down to what you're using the extra speakers for.

"Chickens don't clap."
#31676 01/22/04 07:33 PM
allenh Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
sid, I will be using them much more for movies/tv, than anything else,with a little music mixed in. I actually just purchased an HK avr525 receiver, which makes toggling back and forth between back and side surrounds as easy as going to a setup screen. Is there a way to mount the qs4's from some type of ceiling mount? Like I said, I only have 1 side wall to play with, since the other side is open to the kitchen. hanging from the ceiling would allow me to point them towards the back of the room. Thanks!

#31677 01/24/04 04:26 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Order the FMB and mount it to the ceiling. The QS series has a mounting bolt in the back and works really well with the bracket. But it does leave it rather close to the cieling, about 2" away. I tried it briefly to see how it would work and opted for a wall mount position just to drop it down a little bit more. I had mentioned that they need to add a longer center screw and 2-4" adapter for the middle of the bracket just for ceiling mounting when I ordered my brackets, Maybe they will add this in the future if the need is there.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,044 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup