Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Getting Stupider and Stupider....
BobKay #341533 03/10/11 03:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: BobKay

I can't do the math to figure out what number that would be in Canada, but it would be higher. Apparently, all of their numbers are higher.

Because of the imperial to metric conversion and our rising dollar no doubt.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
BobKay #341537 03/10/11 04:02 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Originally Posted By: BobKay
A friend of mine (47) is just winding up his 7 year tenure as homedad.

He has a PhD in molecular biology from Harvard.

He has a theory about IQ and parenting.

For each child you raise, your IQ will drop 1 point per year for all 18 years. That's 36 lost points for two kids.

I can't do the math to figure out what number that would be in Canada, but it would be higher. Apparently, all of their numbers are higher.

Our dollar is too now! laugh

CatBrat #341540 03/10/11 04:11 PM
devotee
devotee
You gotta keep that brain limber hoss! Use it or lose it.

I met a very famous songwriter/producer named Jerry not too long ago (when he was living here in Atlanta) and I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon at his home studio. He was so sharp and vibrant. Still gets up everyday and works harder than most people a third his age!

Best of all, he still creates and listens to music with incredible passion. He's also witty, hilarious and quite profane. Chain smokes freaking filter-less cigarettes and has a beautiful wife a lot younger than him. wink Of course, he is filthy rich. I bet that helps a bit with the quality-of-life-living thang. grin

I truly felt like I was the old man in his presence!

But he inspired me immensely. If he can muster such wide eyed wonder and enthusiasm at his age, what the hell do I have to bitch and moan about? I'm only 48! I'm just starting to grow up.

You have to have passion. I realize that life has a way of kicking the $hit out of you though. I also realize that I'm very lucky that I do what I love for a living. Most people do not have that luxury. So I will work until I drop dead or can't. The idea of retiring sounds ludicrous to me. That would be death in my world!

It's getting harder to focus attention in a world that is becoming fast, shallow and overstimulating (in all the wrong ways).

Listening to music (really listening) is a luxury these days.

Learn to unwind and relax. Yoga, wine, herb, meditation, etc. Whatever works for you.

As much as I love material things, they are useless without friends, family and love. These things are essential to a healthy lifestyle.

And so is music, woodworking, cooking or whatever. I think the act of creation (whatever your "medium" may be) is divine.

And always keep reading and learning.

I think the moment you stop learning is the moment your brain starts to atrophy.

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #341541 03/10/11 04:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ditto, like, totally.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
audiosavant #341547 03/10/11 04:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: audiosavant

It's getting harder to focus attention in a world that is becoming fast, shallow and overstimulating (in all the wrong ways).

Indeed. And if you don't put your attention to "hot" topics, you feel behind. Even if you're learning incredibly.

I think there's a very interesting correlation between the compression of music albums and our newly "compressed culture."

Compressing music takes the dynamics out -- drums become muted, other sounds are more emphasized. Nuance, attention, depth, detail, and subtlety all get lost. So they are right now in a mass-marketed culture.

Enjoying a well-recorded album may be the best reminder of the truest form of human expression, focus, and interpretation. It is for me!

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
audiosavant #341550 03/10/11 04:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: audiosavant
I think the moment you stop learning is the moment your brain starts to atrophy.

The moment you stop learning, you start dying.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
MarkSJohnson #341554 03/10/11 05:26 PM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
...I can work in my woodshop for hours and hours, forgetting to even eat.

Lolz. That's me in the recording studio!

Mark, I'm seriously envious of your woodworking endeavors. I would love to learn that beautiful art. I can see that being a great way to unwind.

Building and creating stuff is such positive energy.

If society ever fails, your skills will be much more practical and useful than mine, that's for sure!

One other thing, if you can unplug (for a bit) from corporate media, I think that will really help to un-clutter your brain meats. smile

And as much as I loves the internet, it's also a time wasting, brain numbing pursuit if you don't take a break every once in a while (as he types on an internet forum). grin

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

JohnK #341577 03/10/11 06:32 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yeah, Mike; you can really get rusty on chess when you don't play much. If you want a bit of a reality test, you can download the Tarrasch GUI and Rybka engine for free here . The most recent Rybka version is the world computer champion with a strength around 3300. The older version included free is "only" about 3000(my favorite 3rd move is resign).

Thanks John! I have a few freinds who also like to play, but as with anything nowadays, time is difficult to find.

audiosavant #341579 03/10/11 06:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, buy yourself and Joyce a couple of nice bicycles and do some riding this year, aside from clearing your mind, it's relaxing, enjoyable and doesn't feel like excercise although it is. Take Buddy with you too!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Ya_basta #341596 03/10/11 08:33 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
The moment you stop learning, you start dying.

Actually, going through the dying process is quite educational.

Unless you get hit by a bus or are shot in the head and die instantly. Then you learn nothing.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup