Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Raising M80's off the Floor
alan #348639 05/19/11 05:22 AM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Thanks Alan I'll do that. I appreciate the easy push-on connectors...when I first ordered Axioms I bought the M60's and one speaker had a faulty tweeter...it was easy to replace...but I ultimately upgraded to M80 and I'm not looking back. Since removing the Bose module I've enjoyed a greater sound stage and openness that I heretofore had missed. I am very pleased now.

Hi John, I've read good things about the Naxos recording with Johanos. I've now subscribed to Rhapsody. I listen to many versions of a wide repertoire but it isn't complete by any means. It's always a "shot in the dark" when one buys a recording based on other's reviews. I liken the Gliere 2nd to Kalinnikov in terms of style & structure although Kalinnikov is more rigid while Gliere had a freer composition style...they're both very idiomatically Russian. For Kalinnikov I have Jarvi's Chandos 1st & 2nd...a pretty energetic recording & the Kuchar recording on Naxos...this recording has too much reverb and the sound is muddled and distant but the performance is very good. I enjoy Jim Svejda very much...his reviews and presentations are always interesting and add to my enjoyment. I seem to listen to the music being presented with different ears when presented by him and his voice is terrific for classical radio. It would be great to have access from the KUSC archives of all his work over the years... Since I am local I listen most mornings to the station on my way to work. L.A. used to have three classical stations (when I was a kid). Then it was down to two and now only KUSC. Internet streaming has broadened everyone's access to the world and I often listen to BBC 3 and various other stations across the USA and internationally.

Captain4105 #348641 05/19/11 05:46 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yes, BBC Radio 3 is probably my favorite internet stream. I assume that you're aware of the Classical Webcast site?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #348795 05/20/11 07:36 AM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Yup! That's exactly the site I use to guide my internet selections while at work...a kind of a centralized clearinghouse for classical streaming. I'd also say that the European streams, for the most part (UK excepted) are more conservative and traditional in their program selections than those in the USA which present more modern and contemporary works along with the traditional classics. But I do enjoy trying to figure out what the Germans, French (and occasionally the Australians) etc... are saying about the pieces played. Since I lived in England for a couple of years I am used to the "Queens English" so no problem there. But even the British have a curious musical vernacular that can throw me off occasionally and they are unabashedly pro- British in their musical selections.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters