Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
2 registered (St_PatGuy, MarkSJohnson), 121 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12807 Members
11 Forums
22692 Topics
400672 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17698
pmbuko 16227
SirQuack 13311
CV 11066
MarkSJohnson 10696
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#360617 - 12/10/11 08:20 PM Headphones reccomendation?
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'd like to get my dad some headphones for Christmas. He needs the full size over the ear type to use in the computer when he can't blast his new Bose speakers (yeah I know). I'd like to keep the price around $60 or so. Any suggestions?

#360621 - 12/10/11 08:57 PM Re: Headphones reccomendation? [Re: terzaghi]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Porch,enjoying Bombay Sapphire
Spend about $15 bucks more and swing for the Shure 440 pictured on the far left. Places like Amazon usually have the cheapest prices.

It's not perfect, but there really isn't any "perfect" headphones in this price range. It's a really good sounding headphone though and a great introduction to good sound. It's closed so it does a decent job at blocking outside noise as well. If your dad is used to Bose, he will find these to be very detailed in comparison, with nice punchy and snappy bass. They are very clean sounding throughout the midrange.

http://graphs.headphone.com/iconGraph.php?graphID=2811

The biggest con is the clamping force that you can experience on the head, it lessens over time.

They are also low impedance and it stays fairly constant, with no major swings in impedance. They are just fine driven by portable devices and plugged straight into your computer. Not having to worry too much about the output impedance of the source the headphones are plugged into.

http://graphs.headphone.com/iconGraph.php?graphID=2818

You can read a plethora of reviews on Amazon (both the good and the bad).

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU

-Max Payne

#360624 - 12/10/11 09:43 PM Re: Headphones reccomendation? [Re: BlueJays1]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Thanks, I knew you would respond with good advice.

#360635 - 12/10/11 11:27 PM Re: Headphones reccomendation? [Re: terzaghi]
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
On that clamping thing, do you wear glasses? I've found my AKG DJ41s unuseable because of the clamping thing over the glasses.

#360636 - 12/10/11 11:39 PM Re: Headphones reccomendation? [Re: Ken.C]
oldskoolboarder Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Menlo Park, CA
I LOVE my Shure 840s. Despite the size, I prefer to take them on travel w/ me because of the complete sound isolation (seems to drown my kids just fine...) and comfort. The 440's are sure to be a good, younger brother.

#360637 - 12/11/11 12:07 AM Re: Headphones reccomendation? [Re: oldskoolboarder]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Hmmmm.. Good point ken. My dad does wear glasses I wonder if that is a deal breaker?

#360652 - 12/11/11 10:33 AM Re: Headphones reccomendation? [Re: terzaghi]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Porch,enjoying Bombay Sapphire
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Hmmmm.. Good point ken. My dad does wear glasses I wonder if that is a deal breaker?

Comfort is a possible issue with any headphone and user dependent. When I was talking about clamping, it wasn't pressure around the ears but a feeling of pressure on the head. It lessens over time with use or you can extend the headband more, and wear them a bit loose which all but eliminates it. Another good idea is find something they can fit on in the first couple of weeks when your not using them so it speeds up the break in process on the comfort.

There are also 2 different pad options you can buy for the 440. The Shure 840 pads which are bigger and more comfortable and the Shure 940 velour pads with are lush.

-Max Payne

#361348 - 12/19/11 11:10 PM Re: Headphones reccomendation? [Re: BlueJays1]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

I got the Shure 440's in today for my dad. Let me say that I'm definitely going to have a hard time giving these things to him. I made the mistake of trying them out and they sound fantastic...

I'd like to get myself a pair in the future.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.