Re: Myths & Facts About Crossovers
JBall #362362 01/01/12 09:36 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Originally Posted By: JBall
what war?

Part of the article explains bad and good crossovers and various other design aspects. The bad crossover in the picture is from an Axiom M3 outdoor speaker, which is close to $400 and has a crossover that looks like it came from a $50 Sony bookshelf. The other is how Axiom runs their midrange full range which causes distortion and breakup whichs can lead to that harsh or bright sound.

The other portions of the articles or "war" is how some
manufacturers only want to do there own DBT there way only, Axiom doesn't want to submit there products to 3rd party shootouts even if they follow a strict DBT. Familiarity bias is a way for Axiom to chose there speakers as the better speakers or "similarly good". Which makes it out that Axiom can't be beat. But the only ones in that DBT are Axiom employees who know the Axiom sound and pick them everytime.

The other part of the series of articles is cabinet bracing. Axiom says you don't need bracing were other "serious" speaker manufacturers try to make the most inert cabinets possible. Axiom was never mentioned in any of these articles. Its just they usually do the exact opposite of what good speaker manufacturers do.

gtpsuper #362363 01/01/12 09:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: gtpsuper
But the only ones in that DBT are Axiom employees who know the Axiom sound and pick them everytime.

The other part of the series of articles is cabinet bracing. Axiom says you don't need bracing were other "serious" speaker manufacturers try to make the most inert cabinets possible. Axiom was never mentioned in any of these articles. Its just they usually do the exact opposite of what good speaker manufacturer do

I took part in a DB test involving Axiom and B&W speakers. I don't work for Axiom.

As for bracing, I've never heard anyone from, or representing Axiom say that bracing wasn't important, only that excessive bracing is not required. All speakers would weigh hundreds of pounds if you wanted a completely inert enclosure.

Time to move on gt....

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #362365 01/01/12 10:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guess I'm one of the lucky few that has an amazing set of speakers from a company that does the exact opposite of what "good" speaker manufacturers do...

Maybe they only got mine right?

-David
terzaghi #362368 01/01/12 10:24 PM
S
old hand
old hand
S
Hey gt, obviously you have an agenda here. I researched speakers for about 2 years before I purchased Axioms. Guess what helped me make my choice? Audioholics reviews. So obviously either this publication can not be trusted or they have their own agenda now. The reviews by non other than the guy now bashing them. So I am done with that publication because they are now showing how biased there reviews really are. So why don't you take your agenda elsewhere because I am sure I am not the only one sick of your posts.

stevej #362369 01/01/12 10:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I value the opinions of the reviewers at 6 Moons. http://www.6moons.com
6 Moons has been bashed on this forum before, I think for being more artistic than scientific. But they have
Click to reveal..
listened
to lots of speakers. Expensive speakers. The M3's and the M80's were loved by these guys. That means something to me.

My M3's and 80's sound great.

M3 and
M80
gtpsuper #362370 01/01/12 10:44 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: gtpsuper
Originally Posted By: JBall
what war?

Part of the article explains bad and good crossovers and various other design aspects. The bad crossover in the picture is from an Axiom M3 outdoor speaker, which is close to $400 and has a crossover that looks like it came from a $50 Sony bookshelf. The other is how Axiom runs their midrange full range which causes distortion and breakup whichs can lead to that harsh or bright sound.

The other portions of the articles or "war" is how some
manufacturers only want to do there own DBT there way only, Axiom doesn't want to submit there products to 3rd party shootouts even if they follow a strict DBT. Familiarity bias is a way for Axiom to chose there speakers as the better speakers or "similarly good". Which makes it out that Axiom can't be beat. But the only ones in that DBT are Axiom employees who know the Axiom sound and pick them everytime.

The other part of the series of articles is cabinet bracing. Axiom says you don't need bracing were other "serious" speaker manufacturers try to make the most inert cabinets possible. Axiom was never mentioned in any of these articles. Its just they usually do the exact opposite of what good speaker manufacturers do.

I seriously doubt that cheesy crossover is from any Axiom product. Perhaps they were referring to another online speaker company. There are many companies out there. Perhaps you have an axe to grind with Axiom and assume its meant for them.

Interestingly enough about the fullrange mid, I found from my own experience on my M60v2s that when I play them at very high output levels during parties, the midrange driver gets overloaded. My solution was to run the M60s on "small" crossed over at 80Hz. The end result is much cleaner sound overall so I don't see what all the fuss is.

Other than Axioms complete failure of an amp, their A1400, which is now recalled, and their presumptuous attitude on AVS and here about their speakers being "similarly good" to the most extravagant designs, I don't have too many bones to pick with them. Heck I own a Mac and Apple claims their computers are the best in the world...

JBall #362371 01/01/12 11:27 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Cheesy Crossover read post #39 http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/lou...cabinets-4.html

Unless Gene is a lier.

You paid $1060 for a pair of towers that you realize that the midrange gets overloaded but your OK with that? Really?! What happens if someone wants to play there M60s in 2.0 stereo, you can't set them below 80hrz? Even though they have a 40hrz freq response.

gtpsuper #362373 01/01/12 11:43 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Charles, you have called down the trolls upon us.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters