Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Finally bought some
davidsch #363965 01/17/12 02:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
All pros and cons arguments aside, I really do love the look of exposed tubes.

I've long been tempted to try and build one just for the fun of it. End result though would likely be that my shaky electronic skills would end up with my house on fire.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
lucv13 #363974 01/17/12 04:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Luc, I think your tube amp looks very cool. Tubes make it appear to one's friends that one has gone completely insane over the hobby. If I could afford a 200 watt tube amp, I'd have tubes.

My only concern about the China connection is that there may parasites living under that carpeting and boring beatle larva in that pretty wood. Well, that and having that the inexplicable compulsion to wipe yourself exculsively with your left hand and use only one sheet of toilet paper.

Looking forward to hearing what you think and how much fun you're having.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #363984 01/17/12 05:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In related news, Bed Bath & Beyond just recalled metal tissue boxes because they were radioactive. The brief radio news story did not mention where they were manufactured. Perhaps making due with one sheet is a good idea after all?

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #364061 01/18/12 05:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I got a flyer in the mail from Bed Bath & Beyond and saw the ad for those tissue boxes.

"Blow your nose and get a third eye."

Almost sells itself.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Murph #364062 01/18/12 05:42 AM
lucv13 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Radioactive!!! Where can I find a gieger counter shocked Ordered the amp this morning from Hong Kong - it's the same amp pictured but different tubes (upgraded)The amp itself still came in under $200 + shipping and I expect duty to be around $50

Output Power 15 watts x 2 in Class A Push and Pull circuit design
Output Tube EL84 / 6P14 x 4
Frequency 5Hz-70KHz
Driver Tube 6N3

Was a little wary about ordering from China but a member from a different forum is quite happy with his product ordered from the same company so I though I'd take a chance

davidsch #365488 02/02/12 04:25 AM
lucv13 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My little integrated tube amp arrived from Hong Kong today, it was well packaged and got an unexpected bonus, the ebay seller marked it as gift so there were no extra duty charges. He did indicate that he would mark it as a gift in his ebay ad but I guess I never noticed.

This is my first tube amp so I was a little surprised that there were no instructions of any kind included, however it is pretty straight forward. The tubes came in a neatly packaged box and were numbered to match the amp.

I remember reading somewhere that it isn't a good idea to touch the tubes with bare hands due to leaving any kind of residue so went to the kitchen to grab a tea towel and installed the tubes. Was going through a little apprehension here as they were quite stiff to install. Connected the new Axiom M3s and a new LG BD player that I purchased to use as a CDP - plugged in the amp and crossed my fingers whistle

Loaded in a Harry Chapin CD and everything works, the sound was nice and clean there didn't seem to be anything abnormal so I turned down the volume and left the room to let the amp burn in for a couple of hours.

When I returned I loaded up some Billy Joel and crawled into bed it was 1pm (remember I work nights) the bedroom system sounds great, I thought as I drifted off to sleep...

Last edited by lucv13; 02/02/12 04:26 AM.
lucv13 #365490 02/02/12 04:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Excellent, Luc. Glad you got the amp.

Yes, you don't want to touch the tubes with your bare hands. Gloves work best as you can better grip the tubes, which makes pushing them into the sockets a bit easier. I find holding them near the base is somewhat easier.

I'd give the amp a good 5 to 10 minutes for the tubes to warm up before playing music.

I'm not sure if the amp requires biasing, or not. Let me check the pic again. . .

hmm, I can't really tell. Any small holes on the side(s) of the amp, for sticking mulitmeter leads into?

Last edited by St_PatGuy; 02/02/12 04:39 AM.

St_PatGuy #365493 02/02/12 05:47 AM
lucv13 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Excellent, Luc. Glad you got the amp.

Yes, you don't want to touch the tubes with your bare hands. Gloves work best as you can better grip the tubes, which makes pushing them into the sockets a bit easier. I find holding them near the base is somewhat easier.

I'd give the amp a good 5 to 10 minutes for the tubes to warm up before playing music.

I'm not sure if the amp requires biasing, or not. Let me check the pic again. . .

hmm, I can't really tell. Any small holes on the side(s) of the amp, for sticking mulitmeter leads into?

I'm not sure, will have to check tomorrow when I get home from work. The M3s sound good but they sort of feel like something is missing in the midrange or highs - will A/B test them this weekend against my Atoms. Was thinking maybe I should have gotten the M2s but looking at the specs the M3s are easier to drive, mmm I don't know, I really liked the sound of the Atoms when I was running a vintage 25wpc Marantz in the bedroom.

I guess I'll play around this weekend, worst case scenario I can move the Axioms to the 7.1 HT system If I find the Atoms sound better and/or I still have 10 days left on the 30 day demo

Last edited by lucv13; 02/02/12 05:49 AM.
St_PatGuy #365602 02/03/12 04:45 AM
lucv13 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Checked the amp this morning and didn't see any place to insert a multimeter lead. I did spend a little more time with the M3s this morning listening to different CDs and concert DVDs and they do sound sweet. Hooked up the Atoms to compare and found that the M3s have a cleaner sound with the Music Angel, the Atoms will be returning to their rear surround duties in the HT.

The M3s have found their new home...

lucv13 #365603 02/03/12 04:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Cool, must be self-biasing then.

Enjoy the amp and your M3s, Luc!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic