AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
2 registered (Ken.C, mapatton), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22877 Topics
404360 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17775
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11200
MarkSJohnson 10886
Meanwhile On Facebook

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36533 - 03/09/04 09:45 AM PLIIx vs Neo 6 vs Stereo
EAR Offline
enthusiast

I've been using my new Yamaha VX-R2400 for a while and on a for what it's worth basis wanted to pass along my impressions of the various surround modes. I have a 7.1 channel setup. Not Axiom, but very good speakers.

After listening to a lot of music on CD's, I find that I like the Neo 6 a tad bit better than the PLIIx, however, I'm finding that Straight Stereo, which takes all the DSP out of the signal path is far superior to either, and I'm finding that I'm gravitating to doing almost all my music listening in that mode. While the surround modes do give some ambient sense, they seem to reduce/fuzz the performance soundstage, and some fine detail seems obscured. Straight Stereo brings it back, and the increase in front soundstage and audible resolution more than compensates with the slight ambience loss.

I'm also finding that when watching TV, I seem to like the Neo 6 cinema setting. In this case, the surround does seem to work giving me more of a 'being there' feel and the overall sound seems more natural. The PLIIx is also good in this respect, but tonally a bit different- I happen to like the Neo a tad bit better, but both are better than stereo on TV.

#36534 - 03/09/04 07:21 PM Re: PLIIx vs Neo 6 vs Stereo
joema Offline
local

Loc: Nashville, TN
I have an RX-V1400 (almost identical to the 2400), and I also prefer straight stereo mode on some stereo material. However on others I like 7-channel stereo mode, which is theoretically very artificial but it sure sounds good. On other material PLII sounds best.

Try some of the material Dolby recommends for evaluating PLII, and see how PLII vs stereo works for that: http://www.dolby.com/tech/co.br.0102.PLIIDemo.pdf

#36535 - 03/10/04 10:52 AM Re: PLIIx vs Neo 6 vs Stereo
twodan19 Offline
aficionado

Loc: Pembroke, Massachusetts
my preferences for music is plxII, with the music setting, and for tv the movie setting. this is on an rvx1300.
dan

#36536 - 03/10/04 12:37 PM Re: PLIIx vs Neo 6 vs Stereo
DJ_Stunna Offline
aficionado

Loc: Baltimore. MD. USA (but born a...
I only listen to music in stereo. I generally do not like tampering with the signal more than I have to, but when I watch movies, I always use DSP modes (I don't do any critical movie watching, so I wouldn't care if it took out some detail. My main goal is musical reproduction).

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.