Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Re: Non-HT/audio products I like
1sweetspot #388765 01/25/13 08:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: 1sweetspot
Got a sweet deal on a slightly used Rancilio Silvia espresso machine from a seller on Kijiji. Matches perfectly with the Rocky grinder I bought a few weeks ago. Then sold my Saeco Via Venezia to a co-worker not as far down the rabbit hole as I am.

He's happy as can be and I am in espresso heaven! I have some of the Santa Lucia Costa Rican beans Josh from Transcend coffee brewed to win the National Barista Championship. Now to start pulling some godshots...good-bye sleep!

Nice combo. I also have the Silvia & Rocky, have had 'em for a few years. I went this route because I thought I might hack it w/ a PID at some point. However, I can't stomach the cost. THEN, I saw the ZPM on Kickstarter and funded it last year. Let's just say I'm still waiting for one of SEVERAL Kickstarter projects to actually ship to me. Though my Pebble should be in a month or so.

http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com/collect...e-glossy-finish

CV #388767 01/25/13 08:34 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
TAM, I spent a couple hours looking at Nespresso products after your posts in the other thread. I am terribly tempted. Damn you. smile

Do you know the place of manufacture for any of the other models? It looks like you must have the separate frother (Aeroccino or something?). I was looking at the Lattissima Plus because of the integrated, automated milk feature.

Are you guys buying pods directly from Nespresso?

I'm going to be sorry I asked all of this, but hey, Mother's Day is coming sometime, right?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
CV #388770 01/25/13 09:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You have to buy the pods directly from Nespresso.com or Nespresso boutique stores (which you might have a hard time finding). My experience is orders arrive within 48 hours. I'm still on the "welcome pack".

The ONLY negative (and its a small negative) is that you are locked into buying their capsules.

You can buy the machines bundled with the Aeroccino (though those machines take up more counter space). Or you can buy them separately. I steam and froth my milk manually.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
CV #388771 01/25/13 10:05 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
If you want a Pixie (lame name) get the package deal with the frother - you will automatically save $50 on the combo. I think that these separate units are better than any single machine ( I reseached a lot on this) unless you go way, way up in price (+$1000). I've heard that some of their other models are being outsourced to China but I can't be certain. Mine is definitely made in Europe.

I got mine for a steal. The combo is $300 in Canada & rarely go on sale. When I bought mine, Nespresso had a $75 credit ($100 in the US go figure) on buying their pods. On top of that, Home Outfitters (none locally here) had a 25% Off Coupon, so my daughter picked me up one for $225 in Victoria - despite what they say, Future Shop would not match that so they lost a sale. So overall I got it for about $150.

Buy the pods from Nespresso. You can get them from Amazon but they are double the price as the seller has to buy them from Nespresso & resell them at a higher price. I got 250 pods for $170 (no tax as it is food & free shipping) that should last me most of this year. Nespresso pods are a quality product, last forever in their aluminum foil packaging & worth what you pay for them IMHO...

TAM

CV #388772 01/25/13 10:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nespresso coffee is sourced from all over the world (India, Colombia, Brazil etc) and the pods are ALL made in Switzerland. The pods are decent, much better than I expected. The machines are made in Switzerland and China. Either way not a big deal. However, I would avoid their entry level machines (like the U) because when I went by them In Sears they looked cheap. There is a night and day difference in build quality and aesthetics between that model and the Citiz (which I believe is two models up from entry). The Citiz is one low profile, sleek machine. In black, eye candy as well. So when you move up the chain, you are getting better quality for sure.

Another rarity I found is the quality of packaging and product literature that comes with the Citiz. They didn't cheap out here either. Such a well thought out, engineered and executed product.

-Max Payne
CV #388776 01/25/13 11:58 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Thanks, gentlemen. Appreciated.

What is the functional difference - if any - between the Aeroccino 3 and Aeroccino Plus? Are their milky parts dishwasher safe?

I don't have the lingo, but do you pull single shots or long shots from your pods? i.e. if I were used to getting a double, would I need to use two pods?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
CV #388779 01/26/13 12:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There are capsules strictly for espresso shots and for the longer shots (lungo). My machine came with some nice literature, almost reads like a menu that tells you all about the different coffee capsules and what type of shot to pull with them (espresso, lungo) and whether they recommend using them with milk based drinks (cappuccino, latte). I usually use two pods. One espresso shot per capsule back to back. I NEVER reuse the same capsule twice. At least on the machine I use, you can also manually adjust the volume of the shot to your liking. Then for a cap, I use 3rds. 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, 1/3 milk foam. A dry cap is a stiff milk foam, a wet cap is just that, the foam on top is more "loose". Then I like a slight sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

These machines are so easy to use, even a child could make their own.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #388780 01/26/13 12:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
[quote=J. B.]...
Once I get low on the starter pack I might try modding the capsules to use with my own coffee.

grin You're my kinda guy. Why use something the way it was intended when you can mod it.

If you do go that route, find a good local roaster. I don't often use this term, but a good fresh roast blows everything else out of the water.

I've tried fiddling with a cheap espresso machine and was not happy with the results. I'm on the fence as to the value of a good espresso machine for the number of times I'll use it.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
CV #388781 01/26/13 12:30 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I have the 'Plus' which is a stand alone frother on its own removable electric base - it is ingeniously designed with the 2 different frothing heads held in only by magnetism making it easy to clean & change heads. I believe that the '3' is the same thing but is integrated into a receptacle in a different model.

I make only cappies so I pull a long shot (lungo) on a normal pod that is intensity rated at least 8 of 10 in Nespresso's line of coffees. I ordered a mixture of 8, 9 & 10s - they are all the same price. They have several 'lungo' pods available with a little more coffee stuffed into them but they are rated only at 7 or lower but I've never used them.

You get 16 pods included with the machine so that you can sample the different flavours. For me the highest intensities make a very nice cappy even though they are designed for a single shot - great 'crema' that is best shown in a clear glass cup...

TAM

CV #388782 01/26/13 12:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
After trying all the the ones in the welcome pack which has like 200 capsules, the Ristretto, Arpeggio, Roma, Indriya and Rosayaba capsules are my favorite. Rosayaba is the only medium intensity (6) espresso that I like. The rest on the list are 8+. I only use the lungo button to heat up my cup with hot water before I pull the shot.

-Max Payne
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020