Which route would you chose? SVS PB13-ULTRA or the EP800, thoughts? Is the EP800 worth the $575.00 extra?
Doubtful that you would be unhappy with either one. I was down to Axiom vs SVS as well and chose Axiom for several reasons. Here they are in no particular order; take from them what you will:
1. The EP800 shaves off a huge 10 inches of depth. For me, the less protruding into the room the better.
2. The EP800 plays deeper, down to 12Hz (PB13U down to 16Hz), which is important to me for movies.
3. The EP800 is linear down to 15Hz (PB13U linear down to 20Hz).
4. In sealed mode, the SVS does not remain flat while the EP800 stays flat down to 15Hz.
5. I'm partial to sealed subs. Although port noise very rarely occurs with ported subs, the possibility nonetheless exists. With a sealed sub, I know it will never happen.
I don't recall why, but at the time the difference in cost for me would've been roughly $250-$300, so it was worth it for me to go with the EP800. Honestly I haven't regretted it; whether movies or music, the EP800 has been a stellar performer.