Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Amplifiers for the LFR speakers
SBrown #374545 04/27/12 10:58 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Ok, I have been running these two mono's for over two hours playing around 69 or 70. Reference is too loud for my room which is 82 and NO heat, nothing. Room temperature?

I will really be liking these units in the summer,whoohoo!

SBrown #374551 04/28/12 12:05 AM
S
stevej Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Thanks for all the info guys. We had a grandaughter that was born on Wed and our daughter called right after my last post this morning and had to rush to the hospital. The new baby has some posible heart problems so we have been there all day. But looks like it is not going to be as serious as we first thought. So makes this audio stuff not quite as important.
Anyway, yes I have already ordered the LFRs. Not opposed to used stuff, but I have been burnt on Ebay in the past. Not saying I would not go that route. The first ones you mentioned have now gone on the bidding instead of the buy it now so will see how it goes.
Looks now like the Outlaws may be the best option after the response from Sbrown.
I have read some reviews and thought that maybe the Emotiva problem may have been fixed, but if I went that route would take the advice and wait until time for the speakers to order that.
Thanks again for the replies. Will let you know what I decide.

stevej #374552 04/28/12 12:11 AM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Best wishes for your grandaughter, Steve.

stevej #374553 04/28/12 12:12 AM
shareholder in the making
Steve, best luck to you and yours. Glad to hear that it's not as serious as you first thought. Hang in there.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #374554 04/28/12 12:19 AM
S
stevej Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Thanks for the well wishes. It is our youngest daughters first. The hardest part was seeing our baby so upset. But like I said, looks like it will be ok. We know more tomorrow once all the tests are back.
Thanks again.

stevej #374558 04/28/12 12:48 AM
S
stevej Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
dakkon, the second amp you mentioned on Ebay was sold at 5 this afternoon. Was not home in time. I will keep an eye on the other one and see how the bidding goes. Would like to stay under 2000.00 total for the amps.

stevej #374561 04/28/12 01:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: stevej
The new baby has some posible heart problems so we have been there all day. But looks like it is not going to be as serious as we first thought.

Hope the tests come out well...

So makes this audio stuff not quite as important.

I agree, having spent 6 years in the military you learn about priorities..

Anyway, yes I have already ordered the LFRs.

Let's make sure you get the correct amps for your budget that will give you the maximum performance.

Not opposed to used stuff, but I have been burnt on Ebay in the past. Not saying I would not go that route.

I have gotten burnt on ebay before as well. However, all of my used audio transactions have gone quite smoothly.

The first ones you mentioned have now gone on the bidding instead of the buy it now so will see how it goes.

Darn, that's to bad, the seller had a buy it now for 1,000$....

Looks now like the Outlaws may be the best option after the response from Sbrown.
I have read some reviews and thought that maybe the Emotiva problem may have been fixed, but if I went that route would take the advice and wait until time for the speakers to order that.

Honestly i am not sure if Emotiva has gotten their problems fixed or not...

Just wait until Mark finds this thread, he is going to be sooo jealous.... It's gona be GREAT... grin

P.S. Steve, how many total channels of amplification do you need? do you have a 5 channel setup, or is this going to be strictly a 2 channel system?

Last edited by dakkon; 04/28/12 01:27 AM.
dakkon #374564 04/28/12 01:32 AM
S
stevej Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Hey dakkon, I retired from the army. 28 years.
I have a 7.1 setup. Using an Onkyo 3007. I will use it with my amps. I really only need amps for the LFRs. I was just thinking about using an additional amp for my 180 if I went with the monoblocks. Then use the Onkyo for the surrounds. But all I have to have is the 4 channels for the LFRs.

stevej #374568 04/28/12 01:57 AM
Steve, your understanding is incorrect in part. As Andrew pointed out about a month ago, there is no "equal amplification" requirement. The max power ratings(if different amplifiers are being used for the back drivers and the fronts)can vary widely, as long as both are sufficient for the required sound levels. Andrew suggested that the amplification for the back drivers would be sufficient if it was about 60% of that available for the fronts. The important factor was that the gain(a fixed factor)was equal for the fronts and backs so the intended front/back balance could be maintained. This would be the case if a HT receiver or separate amplifier with identical channels(and say a 100 watt or more maximum output capacity)was used. If a setup with different amplifiers with different gains was used, some level control to correct for the different gains would have to be used.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #374571 04/28/12 02:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: JohnK
If a setup with different amplifiers with different gains was used, some level control to correct for the different gains would have to be used.

John, i e-mailed Andrew about this.. At the time there were 3 different amps that i was looking at, the variation in the gains were 0.6DBW from the amp that i already had. Andrew said that .6DBW would an acceptable deviation, but identical gains would be ideal.

The amps that i will be using have different power ratings.. The amp for the fronts is rated for 600W @4ohm, and the rear channels will be powered by am amp with a rating of 500W@4ohm.

Where have you been John? it seemed like you disappeared......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup