AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
3 registered (Kevin1, MarkSJohnson, Ken.C), 108 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22824 Topics
403212 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17740
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11139
MarkSJohnson 10831
Meanwhile On Facebook

A very fond farewell party last night . . . we miss you Noreen!

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375999 - 05/13/12 02:06 PM Any Mechanical Engineers out there?
dakkon Offline
connoisseur

I am trying to do some beam calculations..

I am building a pergola in the back yard, and need to calculate what size of square pipe steel to buy.... The span is 24', and the load will be a vine. This load weight has been approximated to a couple hundred pounds. The span will have a 3" contact point end. For cross beams i am using 5"X3"X1/4" angle iron, with the 5" side angled down.

Right now i am thinking of using 1/8" square pipe steel for the 24' runs, with a width and height of 4"X6" and a length of 288". I have calculated that this choice can handel 14.57lb/in.. However, i am unable to determine the amount of deflection, this is due to my lack of conceptual understanding... This is the part that i am stuck on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#376012 - 05/13/12 06:09 PM Re: Any Mechanical Engineers out there? [Re: dakkon]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
You can compute deflection with beam tables, but this is generally only if your particular scenario is in the table. You need two properties of the beam and material itself, the modulus of elasticity (E), and the moment of inertia about the axis of bending (I). I can be computed based on the dimensions if not tabulated somewhere, and E is based on the material. A list of deflections equations (Delta x max) is at the available link.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/DA6-BeamFormulas.pdf

However, it may be difficult to find your particular configuration, you need to decide if the ends are fixed or pinned, the number of spans, loading conditions etc.

May not produce desired results.

Other alternative methods are double integration, work energy methods, and software. The beam tables are the easiest if you have the correct scenario.

However- if you have a 3-dimensional structure things may be completely different depending on how it is all bolted, welded or connected.

That's probably the only somewhat helpful information I can really provide as I don't really have a structural engineer mindset.

Maybe someone with construction experience with the particular materials and end goal can provide better help.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.