Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
4 registered (Serenity_Now, wilwom, CV, Lampshade), 127 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12712 Members
11 Forums
22686 Topics
400525 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17696
pmbuko 16225
SirQuack 13311
CV 11062
MarkSJohnson 10681
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375999 - 05/13/12 02:06 PM Any Mechanical Engineers out there?
dakkon Offline
connoisseur

I am trying to do some beam calculations..

I am building a pergola in the back yard, and need to calculate what size of square pipe steel to buy.... The span is 24', and the load will be a vine. This load weight has been approximated to a couple hundred pounds. The span will have a 3" contact point end. For cross beams i am using 5"X3"X1/4" angle iron, with the 5" side angled down.

Right now i am thinking of using 1/8" square pipe steel for the 24' runs, with a width and height of 4"X6" and a length of 288". I have calculated that this choice can handel 14.57lb/in.. However, i am unable to determine the amount of deflection, this is due to my lack of conceptual understanding... This is the part that i am stuck on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#376012 - 05/13/12 06:09 PM Re: Any Mechanical Engineers out there? [Re: dakkon]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
You can compute deflection with beam tables, but this is generally only if your particular scenario is in the table. You need two properties of the beam and material itself, the modulus of elasticity (E), and the moment of inertia about the axis of bending (I). I can be computed based on the dimensions if not tabulated somewhere, and E is based on the material. A list of deflections equations (Delta x max) is at the available link.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/DA6-BeamFormulas.pdf

However, it may be difficult to find your particular configuration, you need to decide if the ends are fixed or pinned, the number of spans, loading conditions etc.

May not produce desired results.

Other alternative methods are double integration, work energy methods, and software. The beam tables are the easiest if you have the correct scenario.

However- if you have a 3-dimensional structure things may be completely different depending on how it is all bolted, welded or connected.

That's probably the only somewhat helpful information I can really provide as I don't really have a structural engineer mindset.

Maybe someone with construction experience with the particular materials and end goal can provide better help.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.