Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Denon 3803 - speaker level calibration, Avia, etc.
#37711 03/18/04 07:21 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I just received the rest of my system yesterday - Denon 3803, QS8s, VP-150 to go along with my M60s. It was like Christmas! Also, a couple of weeks ago I picked up the Avia DVD and watched it about all the way through. Once I decided on the Denon I started reading a downloaded copy of the 3803 manual, so I felt reasonably confident in setting up the system. After finally getting my hands on everything and getting all connected, I went through all the setups including the speaker levels using the trusty Radio Shack analog sound meter. My question is this: for setting speaker levels, what the hell do I need the Avia DVD for? Just to verify what I’ve done with the receiver test tones? I only had a limited time last night to play with my new toys. I shoulda stayed home today. From what I could see, with the Denon the only way to set speaker levels is to select either auto or manual test tones and go ahead and make your settings with the test tones blaring away. What do I do with the Avia DVD, switch it in and do a quick compare with sound levels? What do they got, beautiful more melodic test tones? I’ll be ready for more tweaking tonight. Gotta get that remote programmed. I’ve got a fine selection of remotes on the coffee table (TV, DVD, VCR, cable, RCVR). I think they’re mating when I’m not looking.

As a side note, the first DVD I popped in was Lord of the Rings. The sound was great of course, a whole new experience from 2-channel stereo, and the picture looked fine at first, but it’s all dark and sort of monochromatic, then all of a sudden there’s Frodo. I know he’s a hobbit but is he supposed to be green? And I don’t remember Gandalf being so blue in the face. The Shire was looking pretty funky. Turns out the cable gremlins had pulled out my red component video cable from the DVD. Doh!

Re: Denon 3803 - speaker level calibration, Avia,
#37712 03/18/04 08:45 PM
local
local
I believe that the Avia disk is very similar to the Sound and Vision disk I used with my Denon. My Denon set up was the same as yours, I could only do it with the built in test tones, but it was helpful with the phase. I found that my sub integrated much better with the phase set at 180. Where the disk was very helpful, was in calibrating the TV. It made it very easy and there was a definite improvement.

Re: Denon 3803 - speaker level calibration, Avia, etc.
#37713 03/18/04 08:59 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Chopster,

Using the AVIA disk will insure that your Denon will be set up to a standard level due to the test tones included on the disk. It has been noted that the test tones generated by any number of receivers may not be correct. The test tones on the AVIA disk are a standard tone that will help insure that the entire path from the source (DVD player) to the speakers is correct. You basically turn off the test tones from the reciever and play the DVD using its tones through your speakers. Then set your reciever to have all the speakers match volumes manually. Set the reference level you want (most use left front as the reference beginning since it comes first on the disk) and modify all the other speaker settings to match that level (dependant on how hot you like the sub...of course...separate setting), you will have your settings correct. Reference level from the AVIA disk is 85dB but most times that is TOO loud...you can use 75 or even 70dB as your reference as long as all speakers are eventually set to the same level setting.

Works just fine with my Sony and has all along...the test tones my Sony creates are wrong...

Hope this helps,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#37714 03/18/04 09:29 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
To add a little glue to the two posts, the Avia tones are designed to include the sub, so you are not required to do anything additional with it.

Last edited by Ray3; 03/18/04 09:29 PM.
Re: Denon 3803 - speaker level calibration, Avia, etc.
#37715 03/18/04 09:42 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Maybe someone else with a Denon 3803 could weigh in on this matter. Like Tinfoilhat said, there seems to be no way to turn off the receiver tones. The only way to get to the speaker level adjustment menu is to play the receiver tones in auto or manual mode. Turning them off or using an external source is not a selectable option. As I do my tweaking I suppose I can do a pass through the Avia menu for verification purposes and for the phasing. I've already done some video setup adjustments with the Avia. I don't see that as a super powerful tool since I wasn't that out of whack with my untrained eye settings.

#37716 03/18/04 09:55 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I have a 3803. I'm not sure where you are with this, but the Denon test tones were not on or off when I used Avia. The Avia disk is played in the DVD Player and uses the DVD audio output, hence the Avia test tones came through the speakers, not the 3803 test tones.

I'm also not sure why you are reticent to use Avia (unless it is the expense of the disk, which I understand). I'd suggest you get over to the AVS Forum and do a search on Avia if you feel the need for being convinced. I did my calibration with the 3803 test tones and then with Avia. The end result with Avia was better sounding and included a better blending with the sub. To my ears.

I frankly don't remember the specific details of the Avia research I did, but conclusion was compelling enough for me to get an Avia disk. I do know that the net/summary of the info was that the Avia disk just does a better job in providing audio that is balanced. Given what you have spent on equipment, I would think that the small additional chase to make it all work together as well as possible would be worthwhile.

#37717 03/18/04 10:43 PM
local
local
Unless I overlooked it, on my receiver it was impossible to adjust the volume levels for the individual channels without using the built in test tones.

#37718 03/18/04 10:55 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
That's exactly what I'm saying. Tinfoilhat is receiving my transmissions. I have the Avia DVD, and sure I can watch it and listen to the tones, but the actual receiver speaker level setup is only accessible with receiver tones being played. Unless I'm missing something...

#37719 03/18/04 11:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Chopster,

There has to be a way for you to tweak the individual channel levels while you are watching a DVD and without going to a menu. I don't have a Denon, but there should be a "Channel Level" or some such button on the remote (like there is on my H/K) that will super the channel and a +/-dB indicator at the bottom of the TV screen. Then you just hit the Up/Down indicator to raise or lower each channel level. That way, you can play back the Avia disc and use its test tones. It should be easier to use those and get a good subwoofer main speaker blend.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#37720 03/18/04 11:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
so wouldn't you be able to use the test tones on the Avia disc and then play the tones on the Denon? You could ignore the Denon test tones and set speaker levels based on the results from the Avia test before.

Am I missing something here?

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082