My New (In Progress) HT Setup
#379638 07/06/12 04:01 PM
N
niveka Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
N
So I just made the leap and bought the AV equipment for my new home theater. We are finishing our basement and my wife, bless her heart has let me build an entertainment room. I did not have an unlimited budget so I had to make some choices along the way. In the end, this is what I ended up with, I'd like to hear what you think. I am now in the waiting mode, and am very excited about the whole project. Any feedback would be great, and of course simply talking to others about this is great fun in and of itself.

Display: Samsung PN64D8000 64-Inch
A/V Receiver: Denon 4311CI
Blue Ray: PS3
Front Center: Axiom In-Cabinet VP180
Front Left & Right: Axiom In-Cabinet M80 v3
Sub-woofer: Axiom In-Cabinet EP500 v3
Surrounds & Rears: Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8" In-Ceiling Speaker

The room is about 24'x17'x7.5', the layout is below:

Re: My New (In Progress) HT Setup
niveka #379640 07/06/12 04:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
First off, welcome!

While I am not sure about having the side "surrounds" in front of the listening area, or that you will gain much with a 7.1 vs 5.1 setup for a space relatively only 16 feet deep, I think that you are off to a good start and the basement will be a great place to entertain.

Did you already purchase the Yamaha in ceiling speakers? With direct radiating speakers like that, mounted above and in the case of the "side surrounds," in front of the listening area, I think that the surround effects in movies will not be what you would hope for. After all, in 5.1 and 7.1 setups, the layout is designed by the mixing studios to have speakers pointed from the sides/back of the listening area, not overhead. If you already have them and can't return them, then you might do better to have a pair mounted in the wall to the rear of the seating area instead of the ceiling. Then mount the two "overhead" ones shown in front of the listening space, more off to the sides and back at least in line with the main viewing seats. That would help to give the sense of a real surround installation using in-ceiling speakers than just mounting overhead.

Again, I think that you are off to a great start by just having a plan of action. I will see if I can dig up a speaker location document. I know that there is an article here about it.

Welcome again and please take my comments as just someone excited to try to help. smile

Farewell - June 4, 2020
niveka #379643 07/06/12 04:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Found the link...
Home Theater Layout

Here is one of the diagrams showing the side surrounds to the direct side or slightly rear of the listening area, not in front. These diagrams are not Axiom made, but come from Dolby themselves. DTS and THX recommend the same.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #379650 07/06/12 04:48 PM
N
niveka Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
N
wow, you immediately keyed right in on the biggest compromise i had to make, good eye! Yes, the surround speakers were somewhat of a quandary for me, because there is no "left wall" (instead there is a bar) i couldn't figure out how to make wall speakers work for the room. Once I decided to go with ceiling speakers the second problem I had is that the ceiling just left of the where i have placed the left surround drops about a foot in elevation. I would have preferred to space them farther to the left and the right (which i could do with the right) but because of the ceiling drop they are a bit closer to center than I would have liked. I'm just hoping that they will still sound good even if not perfect. That's one of the reason I didn't spend a ton of money on the surrounds. In a perfect world i would have gotten the Axiom surrounds, wish I had that left wall smile

niveka #379663 07/06/12 05:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've seen installations with QS4s and QS8s hanging on brackets from the ceiling when there were no side walls available. I've also seen an install with at least 1 QS mounted on to a soffit around ductwork. Just some options. The QS speakers are REALLY fogiving on their installation due to their advanced design.

With all of that said, be sure that you post lots of pictures of the progress. We LOVE pictures...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
niveka #379668 07/06/12 06:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Have you thought about Dual sub's?

That is a pretty damn big room.......

dakkon #379673 07/06/12 06:50 PM
N
niveka Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
N
Actually, I have the closet on the right wired for a second sub. I don't have the cash right now to get another EP500 so I'll either start with the one for now, or I may hook up my old entry level Polk PSW10 as a second sub. I was kinda wondering if pairing the substantially lower end Polk with the EP500 would sound worse than the EP500 alone. What do you think?

niveka #379676 07/06/12 06:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Perhaps you already know this, but you should never assume where to put the sub(s) in the room. I originally put mine in the center spot in front, but after doing the "sub crawl", it was determined that the best place for the sub was just a bit forward of the left or right seating position. That's where I got the fewest nulls through-out the room.

CatBrat #379677 07/06/12 07:10 PM
N
niveka Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
N
Yes, I have read that allot. I'm taking a bit of a gamble, because having it built into the wall does require me pick a spot and stick wit it. I hope it sounds ok, even if its not perfect.

niveka #379681 07/06/12 08:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was running an inexpensive 8" JBL sub with my Axiom sub. I think with a large sub like the 500, a sub of a much lesser quality will not have much of an overal impact.. At least this is my experience the JBL made almost no audible... I would tell you, use the Polk for now, It's already bought and paid for :), that's what i did until i bought my second Axiom sub. When you get everything up and running you can make the decision if you think the Polk will be sufficient, or if it would be worth it to you to get a second 500... I think Dual 500's will have more output than the 500/Polk set up, especially if the Polk is a small sub.

From my experience when running two subs placement becomes less of an issue.

I put my subs where i wanted them,and i think my room sounds pretty darn good, with the power and extension of a pair of subs like the 500's i believe you will be able to do the same, with a similar result.

Good luck in your endeavor.

P.S.
You may want to watch this video on multiple subs, you may recognize some of the people in it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOXz26qm3I

Last edited by dakkon; 07/06/12 08:06 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters