Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: QS4's on stands question
#38378 03/25/04 01:41 AM
devotee
devotee
If you have any shelves or bookcases flanking your seating position, you might want to make some of your own stands.

I made some temporary QS8 stands our of some scrap 1x6 pine boards that were prototypes of the door frames I made for my house (ok... they were mistakes - there, I said it. Are you happy NOW?). To tell you the truth, they were so stable, that I thought of possibly making a new set out of nice wood and giving them a nice finish job.

I'll warn you in advance, the pics are VERY poor quality. I took them in a hurry using a laptop and a quickcam. They are sitting on a white door on sawhorses in a primer white room. (And ironically, they are sitting on a box labeled QSS stands, which I do not have. A replacement M60 grill came in it.) Scroll right to see them all.

Construction notes:

I used a router with a homemade jig and a 3/4" straight cut bit to make the slot in the base board.

I used 2 screws up from the bottom to hold it together. I had to use a rubber mallet to get the vertical piece into the slot on the base, so it would have been strong enough without screws. I like to screw things. Ooops.. together, that is. Glue would work as well.

The slot is 3/8" deep.

The top of the QS8 is 15" off of the surface the stand sits on.

The bottom of the QS8 is 7 1/2" above the surface. (6 3/4" above the base board)

The base is 12" long (1 1/2" behind the vertical, 3/4" for the slot, and 9 1/4" in front of the vertical). I believe that I could have used less in the back, but some is needed back there to form the slot. The front, at 9 1/4 inches seems to be much more than necessary. I'de bet 6 or 7 inches would be OK. I just whipped them together in 5 minutes, and that was the arbitrary size that came out of the saw.

The vertical piece is just a 13 7/8" length of 1x6 pine.

The base is I mounted the QS bracket to the wood using only 3 screws. The top of the bracket is 1/8" below the top of the wood.
These were VERY stable both side to side and front to back.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
Re: QS4's on stands question
#38379 03/25/04 03:57 AM
mac60 Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Michael,

thanks for all the info and pix. Unfortunately there is no furniture around the seating position besides the center table. On the right side I have a wall and in between the wall and the couch is the VTF-2. On the left it opens into a dining area so not even a wall there. So I was thinking of placing one QS4/8 on the right bewteen the sub and the wall and one on the left right about 1ft. from the couch. I'll check out the adjustable ones suggested on this thread as well.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020