AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
3 registered (Ian, richeydog, Captain4105), 132 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22897 Topics
404609 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17782
pmbuko 16280
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10900
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#385419 - 11/09/12 07:48 PM What would be a good video camera choice for...
Lampshade Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Holbrook, MA
capturing youth basketball games, hand held, and will play nice with the new iMacs coming out in December. The intention is to capture the games and make them available online for other parents.

Price range... probably maxed out at $700.

I know DSLRs can make pretty good movies but I think a video camera will be a better choice to capture a basketball game in its entirety.

Thanks!!

#385432 - 11/09/12 11:45 PM Re: What would be a good video camera choice for... [Re: Lampshade]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
To be honest I don't think there is much difference between a good camera or a strictly video camera and for $700 you are getting a pretty good DSLR.

My HT

#385433 - 11/09/12 11:55 PM Re: What would be a good video camera choice for... [Re: Lampshade]
Lampshade Offline
connoisseur

DSLRs have great looking video. But, and I don't know this for a fact, I think they would not handle this application well. When a production company uses a DSLR they are doing takes and the camera gets to rest in-between. I think the game might be too long. Autofocus is another issue. Pro movie makers buy the special cinematography lenses that facilitate manual focus pulling.

#385462 - 11/10/12 10:18 PM Re: What would be a good video camera choice for... [Re: Lampshade]
JohnK Offline

Chris, I don't have any personal experience with these and the most recent Consumer Reports tests were in the December 2010 issue. For a HD recorder in your price range they recommended the JVC GZ-HM550.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#385468 - 11/11/12 12:06 AM Re: What would be a good video camera choice for... [Re: Lampshade]
Lampshade Offline
connoisseur

Thanks John. I don't have any personal experience either. I found a Canon that was on Apples compatibility list. The price is right and people seem to like it. I will check this one out next, or at least it's most recent iteration.

#385476 - 11/11/12 08:30 AM Re: What would be a good video camera choice for... [Re: Lampshade]
MarkSJohnson Offline

Loc: Central NH
Chris- Sorry I hadn't seen the thread earlier.

I have absolutely no experience with consumer video cameras (I've never even owned one), but I would strongly recommend a video camera for what you're doing.

Yes, a DSLR is more versatile in that it's a still camera as well.

But a camcorder will offer auto focusing, a much better and longer zoom range, no limits as to the record time, and much, much better ergonomics for handholding and monitor screen.

If you were just looking to dabble in photography and video, I'd probably recommend the DSLR. But if your primary focus (!) right now is those basketball games, a camcorder is a much better choice.

I don't even know if you can buy a consumer camcorder that records on tape or disc or HD any more, but I would only be looking for one that records to SS chips...i.e., SDHC or such.

#385496 - 11/11/12 01:29 PM Re: What would be a good video camera choice for... [Re: Lampshade]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
I just can't get over having video in a DSLR. That's like putting pees in my tuna fish. It just doesn't work for me.

#385497 - 11/11/12 01:39 PM Re: What would be a good video camera choice for... [Re: Lampshade]
J. B. Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Quebec, Canada
DSLR video must not be bad; in the movie Blackswan they used a Canon DSLR for many scenes.

#385499 - 11/11/12 02:51 PM Re: What would be a good video camera choice for... [Re: Lampshade]
MarkSJohnson Offline

Loc: Central NH
No, the image quality is outstanding. But focusing is difficult at best, and the ergonomics of handholding is really bad.

There are many third party companies that make an array of devices to overcome these issues, but none of them are practical nor priced for consumers.

Shooting sports is pretty much the most demanding task you can ask of a videographer. It's fast moving and unpredictable. Handicapping yourself with a camera that's difficult to focus and hold just doesn't make sense.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.