AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22877 Topics
404368 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17775
pmbuko 16274
SirQuack 13333
CV 11202
MarkSJohnson 10886
Meanwhile On Facebook

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#387598 - 01/01/13 05:00 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: CatBrat]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Pioneer does come with many sound enhancing features, which I always turn off, except just to play with on occasion. I prefer the sound out of the pioneer, so in a case like this, it's like preaching to the choir. I got a lot more bass out of the Pioneer.

Yeah, I just listened to a live concert recording on YouTube that I've listened to numerous times with my 3801, and it REALLY sounds different; I don't like it as much. I said crisp earlier, but it's quite tinny (similar to what Audyssey does to my Axioms). The playback is also severely lacking bass.

I'm assuming the processing is on by default and thus the causation? I haven't touched the menu...

#387599 - 01/01/13 05:03 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Loc: Some random location
It requires you to run MCACC first to set the equalizer settings.

#387600 - 01/01/13 05:17 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Cat, do you (or anyone else) know how Pioneer gauges it's volume? I have it set to -12, as I did with my 3801, but the output is much lower. -12 was the same loudness on my 3801 and 3808. It was really my threshold for both (the 3801 was connected to my computer, so I set the receiver to -12 and adjusted the volume on my computer), but as aforementioned, the Pio's output isn't even close at the same volume rating.

Thanks

#387601 - 01/01/13 05:38 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: CatBrat]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

The manual states that "phase control" is on by default. Yea or nay?

#387602 - 01/01/13 06:01 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople

Not sure. Reading up on it says better sound with multiple speakers. Just try it on, them off, to see which you prefer.

Seems odd your not getting much power at -12. I get about the same decimal level with both Pioneer and Denon.

Edit: check to see if any dynamic volume control is on. That would do it.

Edited by CatBrat (01/01/13 06:13 PM)

#387608 - 01/01/13 06:45 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: CatBrat]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople

Not sure. Reading up on it says better sound with multiple speakers. Just try it on, them off, to see which you prefer.

Seems odd your not getting much power at -12. I get about the same decimal level with both Pioneer and Denon.

Edit: check to see if any dynamic volume control is on. That would do it.

Good idea. I'll test the phase control once it's hooked up where it belongs.

I went into the receiver menu and changed to default speaker settings. It was set to fronts and surrounds "on", as well as "yes" for a subwoofer (which I don't have in my bedroom). It now sounds MUCH better after amending accordingly.

I'll check to see if dynamic volume is on....

Thanks, Cat.

#387609 - 01/01/13 06:56 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Just noticed its called auto level control on the Pioneer. Not dynamic volume as on Denon.

Edited by CatBrat (01/01/13 06:57 PM)

#387611 - 01/01/13 07:08 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: CatBrat]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Just noticed its called auto level control on the Pioneer. Not dynamic volume as on Denon.

HA! I just came to state that, and also that there's no mention - that I can see - of ALC in the manual.

#387612 - 01/01/13 07:30 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

I'm looking at the online Manuel for the SC-65 and on the page that shows a picture of the remote it mentions a button called auto/alc/direct.

Also page 55 called Auto playback.

Also a mention on page 57 in Using Stream Direct.

Edited by CatBrat (01/01/13 07:34 PM)

#387615 - 01/01/13 08:06 PM Re: Receiver died. Advice on a comparable unit pls. [Re: CatBrat]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

I'm looking at the online Manuel for the SC-65 and on the page that shows a picture of the remote it mentions a button called auto/alc/direct.

Also page 55 called Auto playback.

Also a mention on page 57 in Using Stream Direct.

Ah, yes, you're right. Thanks! When my caregiver comes in tonight, I'll get her to tell me what the display says, then I'll proceed with cycling through those settings via the remote.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.