C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
The good news is that the DSP did make it back to Axiom on Wednesday, so 2-Day shipping did work.

My VP180 should arrive on Tuesday. I adjusted the shelves on what I'm using as my entertainment stand to accommodate. I actually moved the players off that shelf and made it smaller to just fit the VP180. It'll be close, but I think it will fit fine. Still, I can't wait until I can move my system into the basement and have all of my gear in a closet. Then I'll have to work on a new stand for the VP180.

Re: CV's Subterranean Adventure
CV #386806 12/10/12 08:08 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C

I did end up going with Middle Atlantic. I purchased from showmecables.com instead, though:

Slim 5 Series Equipment Rack Enclosure - 20 In. Depth - 37 RU

SH Series Zero Space Rackshelves - 20 IN Deep

I bought two of these Zero Space shelves for the 20" depth rack, though I'll probably get two more. I'm going to be buying one more of these Middle Atlantic Slim 5 racks, except at the 26" depth, which I'll also get two of the Zero Space shelves for. I'll buy sliding shelves for the printer and scanner, and after that, I think my gear will be sufficiently served by these Raxxess rack trays.

I was impressed with my first order from Show Me Cables. Most of the order took one business day to arrive, and the one straggler package arrived the following day.

CV #389477 02/09/13 05:06 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Does anyone here have experience installing PC fans into media closets for air circulation? Not knowing much, I'm tempted to go with a couple of these kits:

Coolerguys Cabcool1203 Three 120mm Fan Cooling Kit w/thermal control for Cabinet or Home Theaters

The plan is to have them blowing into the rear of the closet on the bottom and out of the rear (cue Mark) on the top. Does this sound good? Does anyone have any brands they would recommend over Coolerguys?

I'll have new pics for this thread before too long. I'm afraid it's not going to be as pretty as I'd like, so I may need to get a hot woman in the pictures to distract you.

CV #389516 02/09/13 09:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Unless you are restricted in size, why not go for quiet 140 or 150 mm fans

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #389521 02/09/13 09:27 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: fredk
Unless you are restricted in size, why not go for quiet 140 or 150 mm fans

Only because I would need guidance on how to wire it all up and have it work properly, as opposed to getting one of the kits. That's why I'm here crying for help. Ha ha.

CV #389524 02/09/13 09:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
One of these would get you half way there in that the fans would simply plug in. You would need to wire a power supply to a moulex connector. You might even be able to find a properly wired power supply.

Fred

-------
fredk #389525 02/09/13 09:49 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, Fred. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

CV #389528 02/09/13 10:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CV
Thanks, Fred. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Does that translate to thanks, but I still don't want to electrocute myself? grin

Here's the pinout.
It tells you that you need a 12 volt supply. I expect you would only need to worry about pin 1 & 2 since the sensing and control functions go between the controller and the fans. Aha! 12v power supply with 4 pin molex connector

Now all you need is a way to mount the fans. This is easier than I thought.

Fred

-------
fredk #389531 02/09/13 10:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Here's how a guy on AVS mounted the fans. Post 69.

OK, project's done. I'll email you my bill. grin

Fred

-------
CV #395336 07/21/13 09:20 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It's always forever between these updates. As you can guess, that's because it's going way too slowly.

The latest is that I AM going to use Ikea for my kitchen cabinets. While not at the top for quality, too many people seem happy with what they've gotten for me to ignore their value. I'm going to leave off the doors/fronts and get them from this outfit, though, I think:

Semihandmade

I really like the look of the reclaimed lumber, but since that's in the top tier (most expensive), I will most likely just be asking for an estimate on it, then going with the flat-sawn walnut in their Classic line instead.

I really like the flat, modern look that Ikea offers, but I also like a really nice wood grain if I can get it, and this seems to be the best way to get the best of both worlds.

I've already purchased a design from this company:

Ikea Kitchen Design Online

After messing with Ikea's kitchen planner software and not being satisfied with the results, I decided it would be in my best interests to enlist people who do this for a living, and specifically with Ikea's offerings. While not THAT far off the mark of what I was doing on my own, due to the limitations of the space, they were able to add wall cabinets to the design that were not showing up in Ikea's software, and there were a few other points that made more sense than what I had been planning.

Would any of you be willing to look over the design and offer feedback? They offer two revisions with the initial $145 fee. I already submitted my suggestions for the first revision, but after I get the second draft, I'd love to have some more eyes look it over and perhaps make note of things I haven't considered. If you're interested, just PM me with your email address so I can send you the PDF.

For $145, it seemed like a no-brainer. The first draft already has some fairly comprehensive drawings/renderings, and I think it will come in VERY handy when 1) I submit my plans to Semihandmade, and 2) when I go to Ikea to pick up what I need with a complete shopping list already in hand.

The real villain in the whole kitchen layout is the refrigerator. There's simply not enough space along the two walls for it, so it's going to be in an enclosure that encroaches on the home theater space. I also don't like that it will be so close to the seating, since I was already really concerned about the refrigerator noise when it was going to be across the room. Hopefully insulating the enclosure will give satisfactory results, and hopefully the refrigerator will be quiet. LG seemed to place emphasis on sound levels, so I'm thinking I'll go with this one and cross my fingers: LG LFC25765SB

My dad mounted plywood to the wall between the kitchen and the bathroom, so all wall cabinets on that side will be extremely easy to mount. No needing to find studs.

My kitchen sink was shipped out on the 19th. I'm excited.

I'm wanting stainless steel for my whole kitchen countertop. I was reading someone's blog post about getting a quote of $150/sq. ft. from Home Depot, then finding out a local sheet metal place could make it for $20/sq. ft, albeit with a minimal amount of DIY. Have any of you done this? I wouldn't mind a little of the commercial kitchen look, so I guess I simply need to see if any of the local sheet metal places will do this, and get a quote. I imagine mine may cost a little more than the blogger's because of the undermount sink, and maybe I can make the backsplash part of it as well.

Other work has been progressing, even if it's at a crawl. The bathroom has been getting most of the focus lately, being almost completely framed out, the shower/tub installed, and some of the drywall. A lot of electrical has been done by my dad, with minor help from me. I'll still make sure to get three dedicated 20-amp circuits for the equipment closet. Overkill is my middle name.

We're still not 100% sure on flooring. I think we ARE going to go with ceramic tile in the bathroom, coming out to where it meets the basement's major open space and the bedroom entrance. My dad wanted to use a garage-type flooring (only one design among the samples he brought home looked tolerable to me) due to concerns about flooding, but the inspector suggested he not use that kind of flooring, though my dad didn't pursue an explanation.

As far as look and feel of the floor, I actually like the more affordable vinyl tile. I had a sheet vinyl pattern picked out that I like, but that's when he decided on the garage-type flooring. We'll see if I can get vinyl back in the running. One of my best friends ended up putting vinyl tile over his hardwood floors in the kitchen for better traction and comfort, and he had no problem recommending it.

Does anyone have recommendations on ceiling tiles? My dad already bought some basic ceiling tile, but it looks so boring and... cheap. Even if I don't swank up my ceiling this time around, I'd like to know where to go for something more attractive. Ideally, I'd be able to get superior acoustical performance AND improved looks. Initially, I wanted to purchase at least some of them from RealTraps, but the cost would add up very fast, and I'm still not sure how attractive they are. Better-looking than the tiles my dad purchased, at least. It seems like a whole world of looks opens up when you start browsing commercial ceiling tiles, but I'm not sure how affordable and procurable they are. So yeah, if you have any special insights, I'll be in your debt. Ooh, yeah, I'll give you first pick the next time I'm going to purge my Blu-ray and high-resolution audio collections.

I'll post more pics, too, even though we're still not at a place of beauty.

Okay, that's enough of me boring you for now. I simply wanted to update you now that progress seems to be lurching forward.

Page 14 of 41 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 40 41

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters