Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M3 in-walls in the ceiling for whole home audio?
#395645 07/31/13 04:19 PM
NOLAGT Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Has anyone used the M3 in-walls in the ceilings for just music? I just ordered a pair (not here yet) to try out hooked to the sonos connect:amp (55w rms x 2) to see how they sound. I have been trying to figure out what speakers I want to use in my house in the ceilings for music. I really like the ease of the sonos and the fact that there are so many music options built in and I can control from my iphone. Will 55w be enough for the m3 in walls? I am not looking for just soft background music...I want it to have nice full sound with some bass. Sometimes I may have them jamming sometimes might be background. For now I am going to just stand them up on top of some cabinets in my current house to see how they sound in a few rooms. I am building a house that I plan to install a few pairs and im trying to pick the what I want now so I can buy them a few at a time. I like the idea of the axioms already having the box attached already...I guess that would allow them to have better bass. Just want to hear what yall think or if anyone has then in a NON HT setup.

I already have one of the sonos boxs hooked to some Algonquins on my back porch and they sounds pretty good. I have to turn up the volume pretty high to get the sound I want but im guessing thats because they are outside. The bass is pretty good but they are ported on the back and the way they are hung that port can reflect off the overhang of the back porch. I dont know if thats going to give me more bass than what ill get out of the in-walls installed.

Thanks!

Re: M3 in-walls in the ceiling for whole home audio?
NOLAGT #395646 07/31/13 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi nolagt,
I am also a big Sonos user. I have a Sonos Connect in my HT feeding my HT amp through optical output. In my casual listening environment in the living room I have the Sonos Amp driving a small pair of Polk bookshelf speakers with a Polk sub - from my 1st entry level HT setup. Plus a Play 5 with plans for more zones in the future.

I think you have your worst case scenario already covered - using the Sonos to drive the pair of Algonquins outdoors. If you are happy with the volume you can achieve there then I think you'd be OK with the M3's indoors. The Algonquins are essentially outdoor M3's. Of course there are differences between the design as you noted, however I think your biggest difference for pure volume is outdoors vs indoors, so if your happy outside I you should be good inside.

Of course another option is get the Sonos Connect for much cheaper than the amp model and buy a cheap but more powerful 2 channel amp to drive the speakers.

Hope that helps.

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
NOLAGT #395647 07/31/13 04:48 PM
NOLAGT Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I have also thought about the just a connect and getting a amp to feed them more power but I like the idea of not having too. I have a connect amp in my garage right now hooked to some b&w speakers...I forget the series but they are older 601s I think...but i also have it hooked to a 1k amp running 2 SVS cylinder subs so...yeah that room has some good bass lol. I had thought what about all the sonos connects in a closet, with long speaker wire runs to the speakers, and a axiom 8ch amp to feed them 125w. But then i think thats kinda costly...and for what gain going from 55 to 125? Also defeats the purpose of the wireless aspect of the sonos system having them all in one spot. So im trying to figure what to do now because once the house is built I wont be able to do much changing...holes in the ceilings...and its a 2 story so wire running would not be possible. I just wanted to get some feedback from some in-wall users...I dont know how the in-wall sound vs the algonquins until mine get in...and will they sound different not installed in a ceiling?

I guess worse case too I can do like you said and if theres a room I need more oomph in I can a larger 2ch amp. But can I use that with the connect amp )bypass its amp) or do I now need to get another sonos box as well.

Last edited by NOLAGT; 07/31/13 04:50 PM.
NOLAGT #395648 07/31/13 05:12 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think it's a great idea. Report back!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
NOLAGT #395674 08/01/13 03:12 AM
local
local
My only concern is that by installing the speakers in the ceiling most of your typical listening positions would be quite a big angle off axis from the sweet spot. Because of this, you might find that you need considerably more amp power than you think to achieve a 'nice full sound with some bass' as you put it. Actually the bass itself is normally more omni-directional so if anything you might get an overly boomy sound lacking in mid-range and treble presence.

Is it feasible to mount the M3 in-walls, well, actually in the walls instead of the ceilings?

NOLAGT #395684 08/01/13 01:55 PM
NOLAGT Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I am not looking to have any kind of sweet spot per say. I have axiom m80s vp150 and qs8s for my HT where I do my serious watching/listening. These M3s are really just to have some music jamming through the house when I cook...getting ready in the mornings...having people over. So im just looking for some decent full range sound in the room. There is no option to mount them on the walls as far as im concerned...never gave that much thought. I always thought I want speakers in the ceilings...I dont know if I would like them on the side walls through out the house. The Sonos boxs have a simple bass treble adjustment so if its overly boomy I can tame that to an extent. I do like rap and dubstep so boomy might not be to bad laugh . I listen to a lot of different kinds of music...with my pandora mix lil wayn might pop up then the next might be harry conic jr lol. So I just want some good sound in the house. Also to note the ceilings in these areas are 10' if that helps them spread the sound out any. Good news is they are coming a day early...today!!

Does any one know if they will sound different once installed? Like with the back part of the box being in the attic not in the room. I plan to just demo them standing upright on top of some cabinets.

Last edited by NOLAGT; 08/01/13 01:57 PM.
NOLAGT #395695 08/01/13 03:00 PM
local
local
To get the best idea of how they will sound once installed you would ideally want to find some way to temporarily clamp them facing down to the floor as close as possible to the spots where they'll be installed.

NOLAGT #395700 08/01/13 05:02 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
It's not enough for them to face one direction; another big factor that will influence the sound is the size of the speaker baffle i.e. the fact that the wall continuously surrounds the speaker. This impacts the dispersion. Free-air will sound different than in-wall, but because of the size of the plane that the drivers are on, not just because the direction they are facing or because the enclosure is in a wall.

I think you're worrying way too much about this. The M3's are wonderful speakers (as you already know). Unless there is something about the mounting mechanism that is unsuitable for horizontal hanging (instead of in a vertical wall), I don't see the problem.

Really, your requirements are (near) full-range speakers mounted in the ceiling. You probably have lots of options at your price point, but I doubt many of them are going to sound demonstrably "better" in that application that the M3 inwalls.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
NOLAGT #395715 08/01/13 09:41 PM
NOLAGT Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I know im probably over thinking it lol. I just want to get it right since the hole for one inwall wont be the same for another...and I dont want to patch drywall in a new house.

Tomtuttle, The M3 inwalls are enclosed in a box so they dont reply on the wall cavity as there box. I dont know if I miss read your post...so the fact that the m3s are not installed shouldn't matter free air vs enclosure wise. I am just wondering how much sound resonates out the box that will be added to the room vs it install in a wall.

Good news is I have my hands on them right now and will play with them some tonight. First impression is the box is deeper than I expected!! That was a main reason for me wanting these...they are enclosed already and dont rely on the attic for there "box"

NOLAGT #395718 08/01/13 10:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just mount M3's in a checkerboard fashion about 3 feet apart. That should solve all dispersion problems.

Last edited by CatBrat; 08/01/13 11:00 PM. Reason: What?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters