Hi to all!
Finally got a few minutes to let you know about my... fun with installing in-wall M3 speakers in my bedroom.
The first surprise was that, for some reason, my stud finder, usually reliable, missed a stud and reported it a few inches away... which threw out some measurements and nasty "passed the speaker" drywall cuts. Then (my fault for not checking for that beforehand) I hit, as I was cutting gyp-rock, fire-blocks! More "re-positioning"...
That was... not too bad as a bit of wall repair and repainting would have fixed the hiccups... The hardship started with the discovery that that wall was using 2x3s instead of 2x4s... The in-wall M3s are 3 3/4!! Ouch. Sticking out speakers surrounded by nasty cutting mistakes.
So I went de-icing my driveway using a 6-pound sledgehammer to "ponder" about my options... Finally, I ended up going the "frame" way. I found at hardware store nice moldings that were 1 1/8" think in its thickest (enough for the speakers to sit flush) and that looked not bad. Lots of 45 degree cuts using a hand saw (I don't have proper wood cutting tools yet) and glued the pieces together, then installed the whole thing (more great Lepage glue) and repainted using left-over paints from previous owner.
This is how final steps look like.
Et voila! It almost looks intentional!
HINDSIGHT: Go with on-wall! They don't protrude much and don't propagate to other rooms. I can't wait for an on-wall EP-800!