Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: SUPERB OWL
Gr8_White_North #400652 02/04/14 07:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
That's a fair question, Peter.

I don't mean to be dismissive, because the Seattle Storm certainly did capture championships. Good teams, with good players. Those seasons made a lot of people happy.

I just never invested emotionally in the WNBA game. I don't enjoy watching the actual gameplay in the same way I do with some other sports. My reaction is not purely sexist either; I really can't stand to watch the NBA, either.

More importantly, the WNBA - while popular in Seattle - has simply never captured the social consciousness in the same way that the NFL and MLB do.

So, sure they count. They're just not as meaningful to me, or to many other professional sports fans.

Here is a nicely written story about how the absence of sports success has impacted generations of people from this area.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #400654 02/05/14 01:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I want to thank you guys for the kind posts. It really does increase my joy to have your salutations.

I will resist the urge to write a long and ultimately self-serving post about my personal history as a Seattle sports fan. I vividly remember being enthusiastic about the NFL and MLB BEFORE we had hometown teams, so I've been waiting my whole life for this kind of event. It is - literally - really something.

There are a couple ways in which the team's success seems especially meaningful. There were very high expectations this year, and so the social climate has been charged since last summer. People have come together to share in positive experiences. It's been a fun vibe wherever you go. Every fan base of a championship team feels like they've been "part of it", and I'm generally proud of the volume, travel and conduct of Seahawks fans. The quality-of-life for hundreds of thousands of people was meaningfully improved.

More importantly, the organizational culture of the team celebrates diversity. Pete Carroll said something to the effect of "we don't just LET them be themselves, we CELEBRATE them being themselves". That this level of inclusiveness should be so successful is groundbreaking. By recognizing each person's unique, human gifts, the team enables these talented athletes to give all of themselves. The players seem to be legitimately happy, cohesive and supportive. They've told their stories, and found acceptance and love among the community. It was frustrating but ultimately laughable to see national media try to reduce the dimension and complexity of these men over the last couple weeks.

From a football perspective, the 2013-14 Seahawks defense was historically good. They deserve to be mentioned with the 1985 Bears or anyone else. Marshawn Lynch is fun to watch.

Mostly, I finally feel satisfied as a sports fan. Seattleites have a championship to celebrate, and those of us who shared this journey will never forget this moment or this team.

One of the best acceptance speeches ever set to "paper" smile

I got to hold an "Emmy" this weekend. I made up a speech but it paled in comparison.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Gr8_White_North #400656 02/05/14 04:45 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You are too kind, Rob.

Wait... You got to hold an Emmy!?!? Tell the story!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #400661 02/05/14 12:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My daughter got an internship at at a prestigious ad firm. It is an extreme "proud papa" moment for me. This past weekend, we moved some furniture up for her and she gave us a Saturday tour of the agency. Sitting out on a table (outside the director's office) were some of the awards they have won and the Emmy was right there. So....we were clowning around and spoofing acceptance speeches for a while. I can say that the award itself is quite well made - heavy. Not your run-of-the-mill Little League trophy!

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Gr8_White_North #400662 02/05/14 12:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I might be inclined to change my comments about the singing of the National Anthem. I went to youtube last night and rewatched Whitney's rendition. She did wander around the melody somewhat - but I will say that the overwhelming impression that I got is that she was dam proud of her country and dam proud to be singing about it.

I kept perusing the different versions that popped up - (My Wife) Faith Hill rose up and although her version was a bit "truer" than Whitney's it still wandered a bit. The truest version and the one that gave me goosebumps was a 9 year old girl at - I think - at an NBA game. The way the song is written, it rises to the crescendo affording anyone with talent to stand out by simply singing the song. If they take a little "license" with the word "free" then....ok. Otherwise stick to Mr. Key's version.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters