AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (Ken.C), 66 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22895 Topics
404600 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16279
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405020 - 06/04/14 08:17 AM Looking for a good recordings
oakvillematt Offline
veteran

Loc: Oakville, Canada
I have some symphonies that I really like. Sadly however my new Axiom speakers make quite a few of my favourite CD's sound awful as they lack the clarity and depth that others have.

So here comes the hard part. How does one go about getting a good recording?

I really like Dvorak: New World Symphony. The copy that I have (isbn 289417742), is a ADD but listed as ADRM - digital remastered to audiophile standards. Yes it sounds rather empty and missing any dynamics.

I have a copy of Tchaikovsky 1812 with full digitally recorded canons. (How I wish I had an EP800 for that part). Now, that sounds absolutely wonderful.

What method do you use to find classical music that was recorded well?

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

#405022 - 06/04/14 08:22 AM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
I ask JohnK.

#405023 - 06/04/14 09:24 AM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
J. B. Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Quebec, Canada
i used to read lots of recording reviews in magazines.
that was before the Internet.

the magazine i liked most at the time, even if they openly showed preference for U.K. recordings, was The Gramophone.

no idea if they're still good at it...

#405045 - 06/04/14 12:29 PM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

Matt:

I use this site all of the time for reviews & sampling CDs & SACDs before I purchase them:

http://www.allmusic.com/

One of the best Recording Labels (especially for classical) is 'TELARC' & their affiliate 'Heads Up'. They were pioneers in high end digital recording & their stuff is generally outstanding. I have a fairly large collection of their work in both CD & SACD. Unfortunately they were bought out a couple of years ago by Concord Music Group that sadly spelled their demise.
Their story here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telarc

TAM

#405049 - 06/04/14 12:55 PM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma

#405076 - 06/04/14 10:27 PM Re: Looking for a good recordings [Re: oakvillematt]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Matt, I have about a thousand classical CDs and certainly wouldn't describe any as "missing any dynamics". I buy(and occasionally recommend here)discs of music I like, well- performed and well-recorded(I would never buy or suggest something solely because of outstanding sound quality).

Among my search methods are studying the performance/sound ratings at Classics Today and paying some attention to Amazon customer reviews. Since I have access to about 150 college and public libraries I'm able to borrow most recordings that might interest me before I buy.

The Dvorak symphonies are also among my favorites and I have several versions of most of them. If you identify more specifically the disc of the 9th that you refer to, I might be familiar with it and comment. However, in the meantime I already have a clear recommendation for a 2-disc set of the Dvorak Symphonies 7-9(I like 7 and 8 at least as much as 9) plus Scherzo Capriccioso with outstanding performances in outstanding sound by Dohnanyi and the Cleveland Orchestra. Available for about $12 up from several Amazon sellers .

If you have some other works that you're interested in I'd be glad to make suggestions about those I'm familiar with, or suggest a few that I think combine great music and great sound.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.