Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: cd player
#41499 04/15/04 08:20 PM
shareholder in the making
College music? More like 7th grade music...

#41500 04/15/04 09:04 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
"BIG LIZARD IN MY BACKYARD, CANT AFFORD TO FEED IT ANYMORE"

that was 9th grade for me..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#41501 04/15/04 09:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
BrenR,

Nicely said. And I was just writing about MOSFETs for the upcoming Axiom AudioFile newsletter!

I don't resent anyone indulging tube gear--of course they sound different, and I have friends who woudn't dream of using anything but a tube amp with their electric guitars.

But if high fidelity and musical accuracy in sound reprodution is the goal, tube stuff isn't as linear or as faithful to reproducing the source. A tube fancier may prefer the sound over solid-state devices--and that's fine. But tubes introduce artifacts that are not present on the CD or the master tape.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#41502 04/15/04 10:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Alan, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm sure many folks like the distorted WAH WAH for their guitars, but there are some great tube amps out there whose sound quality is not characterized by distortion, and many reviewers who think them to be the best amps available.

I'm relieved that you don't resent the tube indulgence, but find your comments to be condescending. You may be the resident expert, but your opinion is your own. Just remember that Axiom speakers are tube friendly, and many folks with tube amps use Axioms - I know because I've auditioned them and recommended them.

Careful that you don't make tube people feel unwelcome here. BTW, you may want to disengage your opinion generator long enough to listen to a nice AH! CDP. Speaking from experience may actually be help with more worthwhile advice from our resident expert.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#41503 04/15/04 10:46 PM
2x6,

I believe you're missing the point (again). The term distortion is used very loosely these days. Any alteration of the source signal can be called distortion. Tubes, as a consequence of their design, distort signals. To some, that distortion is desirable. To others, it is not.

It's that simple. Let's not get hung up on semantics, eh?

#41504 04/16/04 12:01 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Again, 2x6spds - neither Alan (if I can speak for him) or I are against tubes being used for amplifier circuits, we've both only pointed out that the "warm" and "organic" sounds, while pleasing to some people's ears, technically are distortion, if you view a sine wave amplified by S/S electronics against one amplified through tubes, you'll see that the fundamental is more clearly defined through solid state electronics, and yes, it can be accurately visualized. Use a tone generator and an oscilloscope and you'll see.

On the recording side - the drawback to transistors (and to be balanced, they're not perfect either - there is no free ride) is the harmonic distortion that is developed when they're overdriven, it is odd-order distortion, which is non-musical, but under proper use, this should be minimized - but sometimes "Audio Engineers" don't pad mics on brass, jazz vocalists or percussion and it happens, but the technology can't be blamed for operator error.

The audio world has gone through some changes for the better in the last 10-15 years, loudspeaker response curves have become much flatter as the science comes of age. Ever noticed that receivers don't ship with 15 band graphic EQs anymore? The technology across the board is getting a lot better at faithful reproduction of source material.

As for alienating tube owners and Alan "shutting down his opinion generator" - the reason I and others are here is that the truth is debated, there are few "yes men" here. You like your sound, congratulations. But for myself, I'm not about to renounce the fact behind technology in order to make someone feel better about their decision.

Bren R.

#41505 04/16/04 12:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ay! Keep that gun away from my penguin!

#41506 04/16/04 12:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Bren, that's a disturbing avatar. bleck.

#41507 04/16/04 12:52 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ya'll just need to quit using all them big words..

if you like tube stuff, buy it!!

if you like digital stuff. buy it!!

with no offense meant toward anyone, it just cracks me up in here sometimes to read how aggresive people can get about defending their personal choices.. what everyone seems to forget is, they are exactly that, OUR OWN PERSONAL CHOICES.. were all different. now, i can see both sides of the coin in this argument. but i chose to stay out of it cause of a lack of personal experience. be that as it may..

i think everyone in here has a pretty good grasp of what they like, so lets all just be cool and dig the music.

i hate it when we fight like this..

so sayeth the shepherd, and so sayeth the flock!!

WELL GET THE FLOCK OUT OF HERE!!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#41508 04/16/04 04:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I see pmbuko, so, as the term is used on our forum, distortion is a good thing?

Look, Alan is entitled to his opinions, as is each of us. But before someone who is held out as our resident expert puts down a product or species of product (tube output CDP) I just think a bit of experience prior to pronouncement might be in order. Personally, I like the Ah! and think it's terrific. Of course, I'm no expert, that's just me.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,304 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup