Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: classical concert
#41567 09/22/04 04:58 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
We made it to the concert last night. My first impression was that the theater was really nice. I was only built 2-3 years ago and certainly looks modern, state of the art, and beautiful. On to the music though....

First impression of the music is that it was not as loud as I was expecting. Granted, I was sitting in the 4th row center of the top tier, but I still was expecting louder....too many rock concerts I guess

First piece was the Wagner that I had been wanting to hear. I really liked that one. It was great to be able to hear a piece I liked so much being played live. I had a big grin on my face the whole time.

Things slowed down after that. Strauss Last four songs was next. My biggest complaint here was that Renee Fleming, the soprano doing the singing, wasn't loud enough. It seemed like she was the background and the insturments were the focus, instead of vice versa. It's possible that it is supposed to be this way and I'm just used to the voice being more prominent, but I didn't think so. One of you classical guys can chime in on that.

Anyway, I like this part the least out of the show. Just to soft and quiet for me without the changes between fast and slow that I like.

Last was Dvorak's 8th. I wasn't familiar with this one going in. I liked to first part of it the best. The other movements weren't bad, but by the end I think I had just had enough, was getting tired, and was ready to call it a night. Being up late the night before to watch the Eagles probably didn't help.

Overall I was glad I went and got to see it once, but it is not something I am going to be in any hurry to go back and do. Especially at $68 a piece for the cheap seats. They had a dinner for the "rich attendees" before the show since it was opening night. Prices for the dinner started at $15,000 per table!

#41568 09/22/04 08:28 PM
D
hobbyist
hobbyist
D
I generally find (mostly based on the old Academy) that the music sounds more distant than I'm used to on recordings, *especially* soloists (vocal or instrumental) which are always much softer than on the recordings.

The Orchestra has $10 rush tickets (now called the "PECO Power Hour"...sheesh) which are a lot better than $68....not for events like opening night, though.

#41569 09/23/04 03:31 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Jason, as DW commented, either a vocal or instrumental soloist often seems less prominant in the concert hall than on recordings. On the recording the soloist can be specially miked so as to be more "upfront" when the mix is done. Occasionally critics reviewing recordings express unhappiness that the soloist has been given "unnatural" prominence. I also note in the Inquirer's very brief review that he comments that Renee Fleming looked a bit under the weather(so, even if BigWill would happen to suggest it, you shouldn't have shouted "louder Renee, we paid $68 for these damn tickets and can't hear you"). He also commented that the playing was polished and the Wagner was done with great spirit.

Although you weren't at one of the $15,000 dinner tables, I hope that you at least got that glass of champagne that was included pre-concert.

Since tickets on other than opening night cost about half as much or even less, you should try another one; for example in late November a very nice program has the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto and the gorgeous Rachmaninoff 2nd Symphony.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#41570 09/23/04 05:11 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Occasionally critics reviewing recordings express unhappiness that the soloist has been given "unnatural" prominence.

I've just started working with a country/traditional Métis singer and I've had to get used to how far forward country vocals are mixed.

Bren R.

#41571 09/23/04 11:52 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm not sure what that one sounds like, but if I try another one at some point I'd like the whole thing to be more along the spirited lines of the Wagner. I definately prefer the upbeat, energetic pieces. Have the short times where it gets soft and lulls in between is good as well, since it emphasizes those contrasts.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters