Re: ADA1250 feedback
brendo #420828 10/24/16 01:05 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By brendo
It comes from all 3 L,C,R, though only when I connect my center.
haven't tried only the center yet. When I put the ADA back in my rack the hum gets louder so possibly EMI/RFI.
Swapped through all the inputs on my ADAs RCAs

If you can try just the Center to see if you get a hum. While you are at it, try the center with either just the left or just the right.

The issue might be caused by your pre-amp in there might be a grounding issue inside the circuit that is causing the ADA not to like it. This can come from differences in the way that the ADA does it's grounding vs the way that the pre-amp does that in turn causes this headache. The awful down side to this hifi game that we are playing.

In my past experience, I had a Marantz AV7005 that just did not want to play nice with me. I bought it used and it had no issues with the previous owner who was running it with an Emotiva amp, but got it home and even looking at it the wrong way caused it to generate a horrible background hum. At the time I had the Anthem MCA5 amp and two AmpOneAs. All of them just did not like this pre-amp. As long as I did not plug any input source into the Marantz it was fine, but as soon as I plugged in a source (even a toslink optical cable) the unit would make the speakers buzz. I ended up selling it and the gentleman who bought it has no problems what so ever. It just doesn't like my room.

My new Anthem AVM60 works like a charm and no issues what so ever. Different pre-amp from a different company but the exact same power, input components and speakers and everything worked perfect. I did upgrade to new ADA1000 and sold the Anthem MCA5 along the way.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
brendo #420829 10/24/16 05:00 AM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
HA!!!
Dang interference went through many steps.
Wound up cleaning all my wires from the playing with equipment Troll that gets into them when we play.
Fed every thing into my Monster HDP1800 power center, cleaned my coaxial cables made shure they were connected to my Ground loop isolator properly. Separated all the speaker wires.

Presto Dang hum gone.

Thank you for the advice, especially older building wiring. My building is also 60s built. So that led my to think it was fixable with the power conditioning{isolation} in my power center.

Still listening to V. tuner radio at only 20 Db on my dial and shocked it worked actually. No more buzz YAY!!!

Thanks for all the thoughts and help made my trouble shooting much easier.

Brendo

brendo #420830 10/24/16 11:41 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Glad that you got it all worked out. Background hum is the death of many. I spent a good 20+ hours trying many different things when I had the case of it. I eventually decided that I'd spent enough and it would have been cheaper to just buy new equipment than try and diagnose where the problem was coming from.

And now I have an Anthem AVM60 ;-)

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
brendo #420836 10/25/16 12:01 AM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
The Buzz was through all the speakers when it was occurring, and specifically when I put my center RCA into the ADA1250 any channel. when I was trying as suggested to just swap the RCAs to different channels, without swapping the speaker wires it would make the hum softer but not gone. In doing so I moved my amp. out of the rack and noticed that while the RCA was stretched the hum would almost disappear.

Thanks again for suggesting to isolate everything.

Socketman saved me a lot of trouble with mention of his 60s building wiring troubles.

That got my thinking about EMI/RFI. Figured already have a power conditioner. Time to clean up and put all the equipment through
it's designated outlets and get it as isolated as possible.
Even took the extra steps to make sure the inputs HDMI, RCA, digital, and tos were all separated.

Wow thank you guys those simple steps solved all my EMI/RFI troubles. It's now silent:}:}:}

Thank you again:}
Brendan

brendo #420839 10/25/16 01:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I really don't know why there is so much cord sex goin on behind my audio gear. I put it all nice when I set it up 3 months ago and its a mess now. Damn gremlins. Good to hear its all working again, such a great relief when a plan comes together.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
brendo #420918 10/31/16 09:18 PM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hurry to at least put some form of contraception between those cables, mine weren't to busy doing the nasty and it still caused them to moan a lot.

Happy to say that my cables are no longer a problem and man is this Amp. awesome at any level it just takes authority and commands every detail to come through. Have run it for the whole day with movies and music back and forth and it doesn't even get very warm.

Thanks again for the help with my woes.
Cheers

brendo #420920 10/31/16 11:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So many people argue that amps make no difference though my experience has been different. I really found my sound became effortless for lack of a better description. It been my experience that I don't have to play my movies as loud to get the same enjoyment, much more dynamic.Now if you sat me down and did a blind test I don't know if I could A/B 2 amps but as I upgraded over the years the differences are subtle but noticeable. Its not like switching a light on but the sound seems less strained. If anyone wants to cast doubt on my observation that's fine but you wont change my mind and I probly wont change yours . Glad to hear everything is working to your pleasure, enjoy your system .

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #420923 11/01/16 08:50 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi Richard,

The amp debate is an ongoing saga and I think the reason is that everyone is correct. It all comes down to what you want from your system and how large a space you have it in. It is the logarithmic nature of power (both amp power and inversely distance) that makes it a bit confusing. If we use 15 dB as a safe range of dynamic headroom then in a small room at lower average listening levels the performance is highly likely to be indistinguishable between most amplifiers. For example; if you are seated 3 meters away from your speakers and you want a maximum average listening level of 86 dB then around 65 watts of dynamic power is going to work just fine. Since most receivers have the same continuous output as they do dynamic output a 70 watt per channel receiver is lots assuming it is rated with both channels driven broadband at less than 1% distortion. Now lets assume you are 6 meters away from your speakers and you want an average listening level of 92 dB. Now you will require around 1,000 watts per channel of dynamic power. This is where big continuous output with lots of dynamic headroom is going to be critical or your listening experience will be severely compromised. Since 1,000 watts of continuous power would require big mono blocks on separate circuits, the amount of available dynamic headroom becomes very important. A good guide to judging an amp's dynamic headroom available is found in the amount of storage capacitance combined with the type and/or sizing of the power supply. I have left a lot of the finer detail out here; but I think it gives the basic picture of what is going on and how everyone can be correct.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
brendo #420925 11/01/16 03:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ian, how about the slew rating of amplifiers or is this proportional to it's output?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #420928 11/01/16 09:48 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi Adrian,

I would not be too concerned about the slew rate. This is one of those specs that gets far more attention then it deserves. It is a measurement of voltage rise achieved before being off by 1 microsecond or one one-millionth of a second; again, one one-millionth of a second. Generally 20 volts or better in most amplifiers.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082