Rate Thread
Newbie has QS8 questions
#42188 04/19/04 04:02 PM
MrBill Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Hello,

I've recently relocated my HT from a small room to a "great room" (living room, dining room, and kitchen all contained in one large open area). I had previously been using JBL Studio Series S36II's as both front and rears (with the S-Center II as a center), but I'm finding that these smaller speakers don't give me the great sound that I experienced when the HT was in a smaller room. Additionally, now that I have the physical space, I'm going to expand my DD 5.1 sound to 7.1. For the last few days I've been browsing online forums trying to figure out what speakers would work best in my new home theater, and must say that the Axioms look good. Right now I think that my setup would best be served with M80's, VP150, and 4 QS8's. My subs are a pair of SVS 16-46PC+'s, which should serve me fine in my new HT room. I have a Sony DA4ES, and according to the manual 4 - 8 ohms is no problem for the receiver.

The only problem that I'm having is that my HT room has many built-ins, making it impossible for me to wall mount the QS8 speakers. Additionally, the stands offered with the QS8's are too tall and narrow ~ they would get knocked over by my big dog! What would serve me best would be short stands, of course with open bottoms so as to not block the bottom speaker. Is there anything like this available from Axiom or other sources. If not, does anyone have any alternative ideas?

TIA, MrBill

Re: Newbie has QS8 questions
#42189 04/19/04 04:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Some here, who have the same problem you do, mount them to the ceiling using this, or the Axiom FMB . You don't mention ceiling height, but I fear, from your description of your "open" area, that you've got a cathedral situation, which might render either of those solutions unusable.

Also, Many here recommend using QS series speakers for side surrounds, but prefer direct radiators, like the M2 or M22, as rear surrounds. They feel this works better for SACD and DVD-A. But, I do believe there are those who use QS series speakers in all 4 positions. I have only a 6.1 setup. Hopefully others with a 7.1 setup will add their comments.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#42190 04/19/04 07:34 PM
MrBill Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
>>>Some here, who have the same problem you do, mount them to the ceiling using this, or the Axiom FMB . You don't mention ceiling height, but I fear, from your description of your "open" area, that you've got a cathedral situation, which might render either of those solutions unusable.<<<

I didn't realize the Axiom metal mount could be used to hang the speakers from the ceilings. But the good news is that I have a relatively low ceiling, so I won't run into any of the problems others with cathedral ceilings have experienced.

In reading your post, I do believe that I can use the metal bracket to wall mount my surrounds, then use the M2 or M22 for my 2 rear speakers - this will make the installation substantially easier, as well as saving me a few dollars. Can anyone comment on using either the QS8 or M22 speakers as rear speakers? Note that my system is used 90% for home theater and the remainder for CD music.

Thanks, MrBill

Last edited by MrBill; 04/19/04 07:38 PM.
#42191 04/19/04 07:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If you intend to use the Axiom FMB, you should give them a call just be sure the bracket will do the job for you. They're great folks to talk to.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#42192 04/19/04 07:47 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Bill - My recollection is that Axiom recommends a single QS series model for 6.1, and that many people have reported excellent results using a pair of M2's for 7.1.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#42193 04/19/04 08:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I didn't realize the Axiom metal mount could be used to hang the speakers from the ceilings.

Just to be clear, the guys are talking about the Axiom Full Metal Bracket, not the T-mount that comes with the speakers.

Bren R.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,949
Posts442,508
Members15,619
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters