Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
What do you love or hate about your receiver?
#43904 04/30/04 05:08 PM
jaatea Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
There's been a ton of posts about receiver choices, mostly centered on power ratings, dsp modes, etc. While these are important, that information is generally available from the manufacturer and the choice between those typically comes down to the individual's needs, what they consider to be important and the compromises they're willing to make.

What i'm interested in here is user functionality - things that can make a unit either a joy or a hassle to use. I think those can be much more important than an extra 5 watts or 4 extra dsp modes that will never get used anyway. They're the little conveniences or annoyances that you encounter daily. Too many times I've poured through stats, etc. to make a choice and end up not using half the bells and whistles I thought were important and that I had to have, only to find some other feature or lack thereof to be much more relevant on a day to day basis.

So, what receiver do you own and what do you love or hate about it that you wouldn't have known about without actually using it?

Re: What do you love or hate about your receiver?
#43905 04/30/04 05:31 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have an older Sony DB940 HT receiver. There are a few things that really irritate me about this receiver.

One: In the speaker setup, the distances from the prime listening locations are set up in full feet...no feet and inches, no point feet, nada, one foot, two foot, red foot, blue foot...and if memory serves me right, there is only one setting for the fronts and one single setting for the rears...You have to take the average of the distances between left and right before entering into the settings...

Two: Most irritatingly of all, the levels for the fronts (after you determine what the volume setting will be your "reference" setting), do not have separate settings for LF & RF...there is a balance slider from left to right. It is setup the same way for the rears.

And Three: The level settings are in full DB...no percentages or decimal points of DB's...

I bought this "thing" a number of years ago before I "knew any better" (5.1 only, no DPx anything, etc)...unfortunately now I have to live with it...

Although I am secretly saving to hopefully replace it with either the Denon 3803 or 3805...or something comparable...

I'll move this dinosaur into the bedroom or game room for my son and his cronies...

Other than the above irritations, this relic with the Axiom's (M60's, VP150 & M22's) and my SVS 20-39 PC+ sound bloody awesome!

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#43906 04/30/04 05:52 PM
old hand
old hand
I have an older Pioneer VSX-710s. There are a few things I don't like on it as well: I hate DSP modes. Never use them. The volume jumps around every once in a while. The speaker terminals don't allow for spade connectors. The power cord is integrated into the chassis. I do like the "midnight" select, it never gets hot, and it sounds decent. I also am fighting between a Denon 3805, Pioneer Elite VSX-55txi, or a Rotel RSP 1056.

#43907 04/30/04 06:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Many things i like about my receiver (Onkyo DS797).
The only thing that annoys me is the fixed crossover. I would prefer a variable setting.
Secondly, there is NO A/B SWITCH!!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#43908 04/30/04 06:36 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I have a Denon 1804.

I love the manual.

Kidding aside, it's got good build quality and I like it a lot. It sounds fine to me. The on-screen-display is good, I like the video switching and upconversion. I did not love the remote (actually, I thought it was fine but my wife found it clumsy). I don't like the speaker connectors (really need banana plugs to avoid intense swearing). I don't like how it takes ~2.5 seconds to switch from one audio mode to another (like from Stereo to some DSP mode). I like how you can "watch" one thing using the video switching but "listen" to another. I like how it has zone2 capability (which I'm not using yet). I don't like that it has no other pre-outs, so I cannot use it as a pre/pro if I get upgradeitis.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#43909 04/30/04 06:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I like everything about my KH avr-7200 except for the annoying 2 second delay when switching between digital sources/formats. Other than that it's got a ton of power(real power listed in HK specs) and right now they are a bargain as the 7300 is due to debut.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
#43910 04/30/04 06:41 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The only thing I don't like about my receiver (onkyo 601) is that I could not afford to spend $20,000 on separates. I very much like that for $350 I got a nicely powered receiver that lets me set the crossover manually.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#43911 04/30/04 07:15 PM
veteran
veteran
My Marantz SR-8300 - I love it. The only aggravation is the RC3200 remote. The novelty factor wears off fast and it eats batteries like candy.

My Technics SA-GX710 - great sound from the mains. The surround channels are typical Dolby Pro-Logic - lower quality, lower amplification.

Sean

Exaudio ergo cogito ergo sum
#43912 04/30/04 07:17 PM
buff
buff
I have a Denon 3805. There are several things I love about it..
It started at the beginning of our relationship. I opened the box and ouuooo.. the smell rose for the packaging. Now I know that all new components come with a smell but this was different. I cant put my finger on the familarity, maybe Victoria Secret models do packing for Denon on slow days I am not sure. Then there is the door, with a gently stroke of a finger it responds with a gently gracefull swoop, open itself to your command of every aspect of audio adjustment thought possible. Again gentle strokes of a finger and crossover frequencies, distant delay rates, db adjustments for individual speakers, input choices, even multiple programable function are available. Then the quality of sound seems endless. When I think I can't possible go anymore a gentle twist of the volume and I reach a new plateau of blissful listening. I am no audiophile superman, but she brings out the best in me.

I realized early on that there may be some jealousy issues. My plasma has been a remarkable partner. I waited to introduce them to each other, in fear of being given an ultimatum... "It's me or her", has echoed the walls of my home to many times. A few component connections later and the fear subsided, replaced by a feeling of Kingship. Not only did they not argue, but they developed a bond. She (Denon 3805) would upconvert any signal input (S video, component ect) to component for Ms. Plasma's pleasure. On the other end, She immediately began to command the Axiom 60's QS8 and vp150 to please me. She did this with expertise and remarkably well before any calibration or request on my part.

This brings up calibration. Many times women (especially since the late 60's)resist any attempts at change eminating from a man. She begs for it. And Understanding.. She understanding when I was tired from attic trips and running speaker wires and offered to just let me relax and enjoy myself while she auto calibrated. I had to explain to her that the boys on Axiom forum would be dissappointed if I took the easy way out.

On the first ocassion we were seperated, I carried with me her remote. Again another remarkable piece. It is capable of commanding all functions, to all other components in the room and the next room over ( with IR repeater). Programable to your every whim. Buttons change at your discretion. Just like the the main piece the remote is sensitive. To activate it, I need not even touch it. I havent figured it out yet, either movement or heat causes the touch pad to turn on, and beckon to be used.

Now this relationship is new, and like all new relationships things are not always what the seem like at first. Will it withstand the test of time, will she calm the wanderlust of upgrade the seems to always stir inside of me. I can not answer that, but I do know that the void she fills has had a dramatic effect on me. No longer do I hit ebay search engines looking for another. Since the day she came in my life, I have not visited manufacturers websites like Onkyo, Yamaha, ect.. At this time I feel complete and at peace.

My experience may be unordinary so take it for what its worth. I am not an audiophilist. I know nothing of the wave thingies that bounce of the walls, or frequency response, "brightness", "open", and such terms confuse me. After following the man path of not opening the instructions, I felt I should (for her) learn more about her. I quickly came to a realization the whomever wrote the guide on operating her was a complete moron, or extremely smart and assummed I was also of the same intelligence level. Confusion set in, panic overcame me, insecurities, that my lack of ability to entertain my new found love would drive her to another, riddled my thoughts. Mentally tormented, I again ran my finger across her door and she opened. A gentle voice crept in my thoughts.... "Its ok, We will figure this out together, we have all the time in the world", "Oh and dont feel bad, He was a moron"

I am happy to say the least..

#43913 04/30/04 07:31 PM
old hand
old hand
Here is another Pioneer fan
I have vsx-d912 ( good for HT - bright for music ) AND PE vsx-d2012 ( which is PE ELITE 45TX paid $600 instead of $1200)

What I like about 2012:
1. MCACC with EQ ( distance inj .5 ft, level .5 db, EQ for EACH channel and FRONT allign)
2. crossover 50,80,100 and so on
3. Full, rich and at the same time very detailed and balanced sound ) As full as HK7200 which failed my test due to full, but ( HK fans don't get affended ) too darkish, over bass heavy, and not very dynamic sound ( even in spite of published 40ms slew rate, triple crossover is a nice toy for 10 minutes, EQ does it for me)
4. great remote all functions, tons of free memory, runs everything
5. Great is stereo ( ONKYO 701 failed due to low power, same distance setting for BOTH fronts, and really lame stereo sound, which was partually compenstaed with theater mode in stereo, but HEY - it is a STEROE sound )
6. video/audio independent source
7. multi zone/bi ampable. or plain sur back
8. midnight ( in ALL modes ), good ole LOUDNESS, D. noise reduction ( sometimes it does the job, HiBit sampling ( mostly doesn't do any damage and sometime does a good job )
9. M60 are not BRIGHT speakers with PE2012 - they PRECISE :-)
10. USB/R232 support
11. WEIGHT 45 lbs ( buy it by the pounds :-)
12. Runs warm, not hot like HK, have not heard sup. fan kicking in yet
13. Memory for setting for different modes/sources ( can compare to AI sound of ONLYO - nice )

What I don't like? Does not serve a cold one?

#43914 04/30/04 07:44 PM
veteran
veteran
We have the most articulate and eloquent people on this board. Sometimes I feel like a Neanderthal with my short answers.

Post finished. Must go club beer and drink.

Sean

#43915 04/30/04 08:06 PM
shareholder in the making
Chess, no A/B on your TX-DS797? I've only got a 575 and that has A,B, A+B.

#43916 04/30/04 09:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I love that my Denon 2802 works every time I use it.

I don't like the on screen programming and the DSP modes all suck.

#43917 04/30/04 09:12 PM
I've got an H/K 525. I like most things about it, like the fact it works, and the left channel doesn't go out all the time. Video switching is nice, although it doesn't have upconversion. I like the reassignable inputs. Bass management is fairly easy to understand, and it's got a lot of crossover settings.

Of course, I was also moving up from a late 70s Toshiba SA-775.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the remote. See my old complaints on it, although I can't find my longest rant on the subject for some reason.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#43918 05/01/04 12:28 AM
aficionado
aficionado
i have a sony..tanes9000 pre amp--the thing i love about it is,it sounds great and surround modes are awesome and the reverb is studio quality(even though i only use them to play around) the two things i hate about it is the remote totaly sucks-its very cool but it sucks-its one of those touch screen battery suckers,but it does communicate two ways so you can check all of your parameters on the remote screen-and i dont have sacd inputs...ron

#43919 05/01/04 02:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ive got a marantz sr6300 reciever, and a MM9000 amp, i love the combo, before i got my current stuff i had an onkio, it was alright, but i like the marantz gear much better, one thing that i really like about the receiver is the fact that it has a rotor knob, that allows you to switch dsp modes, rather than hassling with the remote... it has a 6 channel processor in it, but I only use 5 and the amp is only a 5 channel amp. I like the separate set up, using the receiver as a pre-amp and and the dedicated amp. Much cleaner power.. I got my set up for about 1,200$ and I think I got a Very good value.. I don't need 1000 dsp modes, I only need about 3-5 that's about all that I use, if that many… THX,DTS, and 6 channel stereo… I mean honestly. You either need surround sound or you don't..

#43920 05/01/04 05:16 AM
J
J
I have the Denon 1804 and I liked that it didn't have alot of DSP's that I would of had to pay for and never use. I have read alot about how bad the manual is, I found the manual not that bad compared to other owner's manuals I have read through. The video upconversion is great to have and the receiver sounds great with my Axioms.

The only sour point my wife brought to my attention is that my old Sony had the ability to set up call letters for the radio stations and the Denon does not. She also doesn't like the remote that much, I find it functional - no bells and whistles.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
#43921 05/01/04 05:38 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
H/K AVR 325

Like:
-Plenty of digital inputs
-No useless DSP modes
-Great UI
-Great bass management (aside from one point mentioned below)
-Love the sound

Dislike:
-No video upconversion
-Runs hot
-No bass management on multi-channel analog
-Poor tuner

Pioneer VSX-812K

Like:
-Cheap
-Runs fairly cool

Dislike:
-Not so great UI
-Crappy remote
-Limited bass mangement abilities
-Horrible manual

#43922 05/01/04 05:48 AM
local
local
I love my NAD T752. Looking back, I am glad I purchased a receiver more for power & sound characteristics rather than 'bell & whistle' features. It is simple to setup and use.......very straightforward piece of electronics.

The only annoyance is the remote. It chews up batteries like an agry pit bull.

#43923 05/01/04 12:38 PM
old hand
old hand
Greetings,
I have a Yamaha 5660 receiver, and I love the fact that upgradeitis has hit me again so now I want to go to 7.1 surround with a Yamaha 1400 (or 5790) and I hate that fact that the 5660 is only 6 months old and I will have to sell it for a substantial loss. Anyone interested in it once I upgrade?

#43924 05/01/04 09:25 PM
devotee
devotee
Yamaha RXV-995: I only have two beefs w/ this receiver -

1. It's only 5.1.....not it's fault.
2. The digital inputs are not assignable. So, I have to do some rigging to handle all of the different components I have.

#43925 05/01/04 09:36 PM
veteran
veteran
Two things -

I had to pay for it.

I'll eventually have to replace it.

^billy
what can I say, I'm a tight-*ss

videoslave
#43926 05/02/04 01:40 AM
devotee
devotee
Onkyo TX-SR800

Like:
Full set of 7.1 pre-ins and pre outs
Fully assignable inputs
THX Certification (fwiw)
Turns its own volume down when you turn it off
You can set it not to exceed a certain volume
"Pure Mode" outputs a signal with minimal processing

Don't Like:
No DPL IIx

I really like my receiver.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#43927 05/03/04 10:59 AM
T
buff
buff
T
All that and no OutLaw combo?

Semper Fi

Semper Fi 88-97
DI 94-96
Good night CHESTY where ever you are!
#43928 05/03/04 11:54 AM
buff
buff
Pioneer VSX-D812
Based on the features I've used

Cons:
Crossover fixed to 100,150 or 200Hz
No choice of different crossover for surrounds and fronts, if they are different sized.

Pros:
More than enough power for me
Learning remote

#43929 05/03/04 01:34 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Yamaha RX-Z1

Likes: 41 DSP's and some of them very good. I like to play regular CD's through the 8 channel mode.

DTS 6.1 Discrete and Dolby Digital Regular and Enhanced.
Three Component inputs
Fully customizable digital inputs
LCD remote control
Does some up conversion of composite and S-Video but doesn’t output to component.
870 total watts of power

Dislikes:
Only three component inputs (need four already)
No 7.1 only 6.1 but 8.1 if you use the Yamaha effect speakers
Frequent sound volume dispersion when switching to different inputs.
No digital connection features for 6 channel

Overall a very nice unit for the money, the RX-Z9 has everything that one could want in a receiver but it is $2000 dollars more than what I paid for mine.

#43930 05/03/04 05:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK...I'll play.

Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075 (not really a "receiver", but it'll work for this game, no?

PROS
Sounds GREAT
Looks GREAT
Really good remote
Depending on source detected remembers format to use, as well as subwoofer settings. (i.e. if it receives a Dolby Digital signal it'll switch to Dolby Digital mode, and boost sub +2 db)
12 volt trigger for amp and/or other Rotel components.
Plenty of power

CONS
Volume ramps up/down too slowly
No Bass Managment with multi-channel analog inputs
Speaker distance settings not in ms, not footage
Has a delay/glitch when detecting HDCD signals. (This glitch has been reported to vary from CD/DVD player to player. I'm lucky enough to have one that has an issue with the Rotel.)

#43931 05/03/04 07:41 PM
devotee
devotee
I think I have a setup close to that of an Outlaw combo...my Onkyo 800 ($900) has a pretty good front end, lots of features, THX certified, and my Marantz MM9000 is 170 watts x 5, and was a steal for $649...I think that for $1399 I got a setup that rivals more expensive systems. The original MSRP of the Marantz power amp alone was over $2k.

I used to lust after the Outlaw 950/770 combo, but not any more.

Mark

#43932 05/03/04 08:21 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
RX-V1400.

Dear Yamaha:

Please improve your owners manual. There's been a lot of posted questions as how to hook up the zone 2 and 3 which should have been answered in your documentation (yes, it is in there, but not explained well). Please tell us with certainty whether you can run speakers at 4 Ohms. Finally please include a sweet arse compilation CD to test my M80's or M60's.

Sincerely,

Owners of a Yamaha Receiver.

We wouldn't be laughing that evening when Grandpa came back with some whore he picked up in town.
#43933 05/03/04 09:27 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Only two things irritate me about my receiver. 1. I don't like the fact that when I turn the bass and treble knobs on the front very little if nothing happens, and 2. I wish it had more power, like about 250 watts per channel x5. I have urge to break my neighbors windows.

#43934 05/04/04 08:51 AM
T
buff
buff
T
mhorgel,

Sorry about that I wasnt referring to your setup only which actually looks very good! I was basically implying that with all the entries there was no mention of the combo. I was hoping that someone with an Outlaw combo would mention theirs.

Semper Fi

Semper Fi 88-97
DI 94-96
#43935 05/04/04 04:00 PM
devotee
devotee
No offense taken...my last post wasn't really meant to be defensive, though it might have come off that way. I was just representin' my gear.

Mark

#43936 05/04/04 09:54 PM
T
hobbyist
hobbyist
T
Now that it's finally broken in, I feel I can comment...

I have a Denon AVR-2803. I was also considering a Yamaha RX-V1400 and a Marantz SR5400.

I went with the Denon because the 'rantz lacked a phono jack and, even though I prefer the looks/ergonomics of Yamahas, the local dealer didn't have one in stock. I figure, if I'm going to pay B&M retail+tax, I ought to get to fiddle with it some, right? So, based on rep, specs, and price, plus impatience, I got the Denon from Crutchfield.

Pros:
  • phono input (which I have yet to take advantage of)
  • 7.1 x 90 wps (only using 5.1 now, but like the ability to add a second zone)
  • Variable sub x-over (which I have set to the default)
  • Remembers the output mode for each component. (Makes it easier for my wife to use and enjoy.)

Cons:
  • The manual. Let's just say I had an easier time with Kant's "The Critique of Pure Reason." In German. Oh well. At least I don't have to write a term paper about it.
  • The design. It doesn't look bad, per se. It's just not as cool looking, IMHO, as the Yamaha.
  • The remote. Even though I've programmed it run my other components, I still have a full coffee table. It does all the basics well enough; invariably, though, there's some special function that the AVR remote doesn't do (or is too tricky to figure out).

Overall, I'm giddy as a school girl. No reservations. No what-ifs. No upgraditis.

I've only checked out a few of the DSPs. Mostly I leave it on "Direct" for music and "Dolby Digital" for movies. This being my first AV receiver and HT setup, I'm kinda like a monkey with a digital watch: Every little thing it does just blows my mind. Sometimes I even throw feces at the neighbors. But that's another post...

#43937 05/04/04 10:01 PM
veteran
veteran
finally. someone else who who understands the joys of throwing feces at the neighbors.

^billy

videoslave
#43938 05/04/04 10:42 PM
I haven't done that for years!

#43939 05/04/04 11:30 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
My Denon 3803 is a beast. Plenty of power, features. I was fortunate to but an MX-700 remote, so I don't have much to say either way about the Denon remote - never really used it. I was able to find a file that has EVERY Denon command and it is sheer joy to use.

While I don't read the manual for pleasure, I can get through it if I need to.

#43940 05/05/04 03:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm running a Onyko TX-SR800 and I honestly don't have a bad thing to say about it. Great sound with good power etc. It does everything I need it to do and does it well. Perhaps that is why Secrets Of Home Theater voted it best for 2003!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_4/secrets-best-of-2003-awards-12-2003.html

#43941 05/05/04 12:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
reminds me of putting a paper bag full of dog $hit on someone's door step, lighting the bag on fire and ringing the door bell. then running away to watch. now mind you, i never did this...but just heard of it being done.
dan

#43942 05/05/04 10:49 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I can't get nearly the performance out of a bag of dog doo that I get out of my 3803. That may be a reason the Secrets Of Home Theater never placed a bag of dog doo in their top three in any of the last 4 years.

#43943 05/10/04 07:30 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have the Onkyo SR701.

the thing i like most about it, is the fact that i finally got to hook it up this weekend. these are the things i like.

1. plenty of power
2. plenty of inputs/outputs(at least for my use), including a set of digital/s-video/rca jacks in front. and a 2nd zone.
3. it has up-conversion capabilities
4. great remote that can learn others
5. very detailed instruction manual
6. receiver automatically goes into DTS, THX, DD mode depending on the signal it reads from the dvd player.
7. awesome sound and performance
8. lots of DSP modes which come in handy when listening to TV shows thru the stereo

things i dont like

1. it does get kinda hot
2. tuner/radio reception is not very good
3. receiver display is hard to read when sitting on couch.

i have only had it wkng for a few days now, but these are the things i can think of. overall, i am very pleased with it, and i hope to continue to be so.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#43944 05/11/04 05:01 AM
T
buff
buff
T
bigjohn,

Not to sound like a smarta$$ but do you have the brightness level turned up on the display or is it that the numerical display is small? If I remember there are 3 levels of brightness for the display.

Semper Fi

Semper Fi 88-97
DI 94-96
#43945 05/11/04 05:07 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

2. tuner/radio reception is not very good

Does your area offer cable FM?

Bren R.

#43946 05/11/04 05:11 AM
aficionado
aficionado
My FM is pretty good, better than my previous receiver (i have the 601 now). Also, have you upped the brightness? It does have 3 levels.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#43947 05/11/04 01:11 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
tufel-i'd rather be a smarta$$ than a dumba$$!!

yes, i have the brightness turned up to its max.. there are two reasons i find the display hard to read. one, it is small and i dont have the best vision. two, my angle from the couch is looking 'up' at it, and that cuts off about 1/4 of the display.

bren- i am not sure what "cable FM" is?? but if it requires me to give my cable company more money, then i dont want it.. they charge me too much for the crappy srvc i already get. the "poor FM reception" comment from me was based on the fact that my old tuner/receiver got more stations, and they were clearer.

with all that said, i still love the 701.. i think its gonna work just fine for my needs. but thank ya'll for the input on how to fix my probs!!

bigjohn

#43948 05/11/04 03:35 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

bren- i am not sure what "cable FM" is?? but if it requires me to give my cable company more money, then i dont want it.. they charge me too much for the crappy srvc i already get.

Cable FM is FM stations that are modulated into your cable feed - here, for instance - Power97 (97.5FM) is on cable FM at 105.5FM - maybe try throwing a cable feed into the 75 ohm antenna connector on the amp and poke around the FM dial, see if there's anything there that's new. (maybe not, though... from what I understand, the US packs the band pretty tight - thus the reason I can get away with 3 FM presets, not 30!)

Bren R.

#43949 05/11/04 03:48 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
well, we only got around 11 FM stations out here anyway.. 2 are gospal, 3 are country, and 2 are tejano.. so the choices are extremely limited as it is. we can get a bad-a$$ rock station out of abilene on real cloudy days.

plus, i have already split my cable once, i dont wanna split it again and degrade the signal even more than it already is.

bigjohn

#43950 05/11/04 04:11 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

plus, i have already split my cable once, i dont wanna split it again and degrade the signal even more than it already is

Well, if you do it right (with a cable amp), it's not a problem... I wired our place for 6 cable runs - 3 behind the HT (two for two VCRs, one for cable FM), one in the sitting room/formal living room, and one each in my office and the master BR.

Usually cable FM will carry distant stations as well - might be worth a shot.

Bren R.

#43951 05/11/04 04:17 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I wired our place for 6 cable runs - 3 behind the HT (two for two VCRs, one for cable FM), one in the sitting room/formal living room, and one each in my office and the master BR

ever been to texas?? i got some work for you to do while your here!!

bigjohn

#43952 05/11/04 04:40 PM
veteran
veteran
If you have a cable modem and won't eat up your monthly allotment try this. It was set up by a friend of mine.

[url=labrador.crrstv.net/-/index.html]http://labrador.crrstv.net/-/index.html[/url]

NOTE: I just discovered the link is not working - I'll check with the Webmaster and get back to you

Sean

Last edited by SeanF; 05/11/04 04:45 PM.

#43953 05/11/04 05:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

ever been to texas?? i got some work for you to do while your here!!

Sorry, John... never been to TX - flying and I don't get along... the idea of hurtling through the air in a pressurized aluminum tube just doesn't thrill me.

I did make up this step-by-step pic on how-to for someone a while ago..

1. drill corner holes for low voltage frame
2. cut between holes
3. pull wire through, use stripper to remove insulation from braid and core, then bend the braid back against the insulation (making sure to get EVERY strand - or it might short against the core and you'll NEVER think of that as a possibility when troubleshooting!)
4. Push the screw on F connector on with a tool like this... make sure it seats fully
5. Crimp it down with the large crimp, turn 60 degrees and give it a bit of a snug up with the smaller
6. Cut the core off at a 15 degree angle maybe 1/8" outside of the connector

That's the hardest part... screwing all the other ends into an amp should be pretty self-explanitory, and then without an RF meter, you can tell how hot the signal is by looking at it:
if it looks good -- clean up
if it's snowy -- signal strength is low, need a bigger amp or less runs
if you see overmodulation (watching channel 4, you see ghosts of channel 3 or 5), you're too hot... buy a "pad" (attenuator) to put inline.

That's all there is to it...

And no, I'm not left handed... hand holding the cam in my right.

Bren R.

#43954 05/13/04 06:33 PM
In reply to:

the idea of hurtling through the air in a pressurized aluminum tube just doesn't thrill me.

Please tell me you don't ride a motorcycle...

#43955 05/13/04 06:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Please tell me you don't ride a motorcycle...

As a matter of fact, not currently, but I have.

Strangely, I feel safer with 2 wheels under me than 4.

Bren R.

#43956 05/13/04 06:55 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
try a tricycle and tell us how you fell about that??

bigjohn

#43957 05/13/04 06:55 PM
What if you wore a helmet in the car?

#43958 05/13/04 10:18 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
BrenR,

I have crappy cable reception, but it is channel 3 that ghosts. Will your suggestion work as well for my ugly picture?

--- RazorFace
#43959 05/13/04 10:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
-If it's just one channel, chances are it's just your cable provider or some anomaly
-If it's a range of channels (say 2-13, but gets slowly better from 14 up to the 30s), then you've probably got older cable with a smaller bandwidth (like RG59), and they've "cooked up" the feed for the weak signal attenuated by the cable at the higher channels, but the channels the cable will carry well get overmodulated

Sorry guys... every time I try to put it in layman's terms I think it sounds more confusing.... reason number 48 why I didn't go into education.

Bren R.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020