Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rec Spec Check
scgm #444400 01/13/22 10:31 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
True enough. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to what is “good”.

Its not a competition either though. Some get carried away with that. smile It never stops if perfection is the goal. laugh

Being able to measure coherence with an FFT plot allows you to measure electrical input vs acoustical output. Pretty useful to define “good” in objective terms I think. Stops you wondering!

MMM #444401 01/13/22 03:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by MatManhasgone
So your comment about a $700 receiver and $300 speakers seems a bit of a puzzler. There is a price point that you simply cannot drop below without having to take a serious sacrifice in quality and or functionality. Sorry, but a new $300 speaker that sounds good doesn't exist. Even the M2 speaker is $600.
Think we are in agreement on the speaker part of this example (at least for new speakers).
The example is making a few points:
1) someone starting this hobby with a $1000 in their pocket needs to make compromises.
2) that at this price point the receiver will sound fine, maybe not up to your standards, but very listenable.
3) that the difference sound wise between a $300 receiver and a $700 receiver is most likely very small (at least for anything halfway main-stream).
4) that the difference sound wise between a $300 speakers and a well selected $700 speakers is probably large.

Now think about someone starting out and how they might distribute their funds. Many will fall into buying the “better” 110 watt receiver. That’s the way marketing works … for only $50 more I can get X and for only $50 more than that I’d get X+. Leaving less for what matters. Either way, $700 speakers or $300 speakers, the speakers are most likely, IMO, the main limitation in a $1000 system.

Your point about front ends being the main place to upgrade comes much later down the upgrade path. The people who get there spent time and energy listening for the differences and care enough to spend money to get there. This is a much smaller group then the average person who feels they have a great stereo. You made that point above: your freind who thought he had a great system really wasn’t listening … he was just enjoying till you opened up his eyes (ears?) … definitely a thanks a lot moment smile

MMM #444402 01/13/22 09:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by MatManhasgone
If we look to the OP, he is running a set of Axiom M80 and an EP500. I would not put them under the cheapest set of speaker category. I bought my first pair of Axiom M80v4 speakers in 2014 and they were $1300. (now they are over $2600).
Sorry MatManhasgone,
Have to answer stuff in in bits & prices as the internet access is very spotty where I am currently.

The OP’s system seems to be well positioned on the upgrade path (a good compromise between budget and sound). I agree with you, that his speakers are most likely not the weakest link in this system. The power calculations tell me that unless he wants to play his music loud he’s fine … at least from a spec point of view. So, his next upgrade step is dependent on what he feels his system needs and of course his budget. It may very well be getting a great prepro/amp combo. It could be spending more time perfecting his setup or room … to know what I would do, would require me to play with his system for bit.

That said, if it had to be a piece of equipment and with out hearing or playing with his system myself what you’re proposing would also be my best guess.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 889 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup