Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Epic Sound 80 speakers
jake1189 #447635 12/16/23 06:43 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Axiom's "Epic" was re-branded as "Millenia". That's where the "M" comes from.

Note the slogan "Innovative sound & bass". LMAO!

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
jake1189 #447636 12/16/23 06:55 AM
M
M
Regarding the slogan, I found this:

DiVinci Innovative Sound & Bass is one of the all-time greats of loudspeaker design.....

This is mainly because we've always preferred to follow our own design instincts rather than convention. Our first product was one of the earliest cone loudspeakers, based on a radical new cone design in 1982. Within three years, we launched the world's first DiVinci speaker; by the end of the decade, DiVinci was already established as the high-end loudspeaker brand.

By 1995, the DiVInci logo was on well over half the new speakers in Britain. During the years, our innovative designs allowed movie and music lovers to enjoy new audio technologies like the Pure-Phonics Pro III Decoder. We pioneered the woven silk & titanium dome tweeter and the liquid aluminum dipped cone.

House of the Rising Sone
jake1189 #447637 12/16/23 06:58 AM
M
M
More on Divinci.

Here are examples of known “White Van Speaker Scam” brands to look out for: (Note: List compiled from internet user forums)

Acoustic
Acoustic Response
Acoustic Image
Acoustic Lab Technology
Acoustic Monitor
Acoustic Response
Advanced Sound Technologies
Audiofile
Audio Tech
Dahlton
Divinci Sound
Digital Audio
Digital Dogg
DanWave
Cavelli
Bach & Odin
Divinci
Denmark
Digital Audio
Digital Research
Dogg Digital
Dynalab
Epiphany Audio
Elite Audio
Epic Audio
Fleetwood Audio
Genesis Audio
Grafdale
Hauffman
Nolyn Acoustics
Hennessy
Panorama Innovations
Kamron Audio
Kevlan Media Labs

House of the Rising Sone
jake1189 #447647 12/17/23 03:21 PM
local
local
Jake should enjoy his new speakers anyway. The joy of music listening ought to come from software, not the hardware.

Spinorama dot org is a great site for new speakers; most speakers on the market don't sound good. Anything scoring over 4.0 will sound great as long as you add a subwoofer; a score above 8.1 with "perfect subwoofer" (whatever that is) is considered state of the art. It doesn't have to cost more than $1500 US to reach that nowadays.

Craigslist or Kijiji can be a great source for inexpensive used speakers. I'd stick with mass market brands that aim for neutral sound: Angstrom, Athena Technologies, Audio Engine, Axiom, Energy, IKEA (!), Infinity, Kanto, Mirage, Nuance, PSB, Revel, and Sonos.

I'd steer clear of brands that flagrantly disregard the research or are wildly inconsistent: anything from China/Denmark/England/France/Japan/Norway/Scotland; Bose, Definitive Technologies, JBL, Klipsch, Magnepan, MartinLogan, Paradigm, Polk, and Totem.

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"
Hambrabi #447648 12/17/23 03:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by Hambrabi
I'd steer clear of brands that flagrantly disregard the research or are wildly inconsistent: anything from China/Denmark/England/France/Japan/Norway/Scotland; Bose, Definitive Technologies, JBL, Klipsch, Magnepan, MartinLogan, Paradigm, Polk, and Totem.
Given the list … I’ll assume “anything from” means you’re ok with these … either way the list is not overly helpful as it’s too inclusive and exclusive at the same time

rrlev #447649 12/17/23 04:24 PM
local
local
Originally Posted by rrlev
either way the list is not overly helpful as it’s too inclusive and exclusive at the same time

True. But for someone just getting started in good hardware, sometimes it's best to stick to generalities so they don't get overwhelmed. If Jake can avoid the "more money = better sound" myth, he'll avoid the unnecessary expensive mistakes of chasing products that don't provide a good return on investment.

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"
rrlev #447650 12/17/23 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Given the list … I’ll assume “anything from” means you’re ok with these … either way the list is not overly helpful as it’s too inclusive and exclusive at the same time

Agreed, in one statement he tells the OP to enjoy the music, then seemingly drops into the "research" realm which focuses on anything but the music. Oh, and a few of the countries and brands mentioned make some of the best sounding speakers, i.e Totem Mani 1 and England's Castle to name a few.

Blanket statements are too limiting.

In terms of the OP's Epic system, I have been an "Axiomite" since the 1980's and I have never seen or heard of the models in the pictures. The only thing that matters is that you enjoy them.

BBIBH #447651 12/17/23 04:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by BBIBH
Blanket statements are too limiting
Is that a blanket statement ? grin

1 member likes this: Kodiak
BBIBH #447652 12/17/23 05:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
either way the list is not overly helpful as it’s too inclusive and exclusive at the same time

True. But for someone just getting started in good hardware, sometimes it's best to stick to generalities so they don't get overwhelmed. If Jake can avoid the "more money = better sound" myth, he'll avoid the unnecessary expensive mistakes of chasing products that don't provide a good return on investment.
I see … if we stick with confusing and even conflicting generalities they (whoever “they” is … Jake didn’t say he was new at this) won’t get overwhelmed …

Sorry, I had to make fun … watching you dig a small hole and then instead of stepping out of it to recover .. you get a bigger shovel and start digging faster … smile

rrlev #447653 12/17/23 06:02 PM
local
local
Sorry, I had to make fun … watching you dig a small hole and then instead of stepping out of it to recover .. you get a bigger shovel and start digging fastest … smile

Noooo! I always have the best advice!

Maybe I should quit while I’m ahead. Subjectivist, objectivist, doesn’t matter, no one will ever find lasting happiness pursuing audio perfection. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 441 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup