Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone hear of Streem Speakers?
#50508 06/24/04 12:12 PM
HAY Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
A friend of mine is looking at starting a low budget home theater and wants everything at once. I told him to build one slowly and get good products that will last and he will enjoy...

There's no changing his mind, so has anyone heard of Streem Speakers? He's interested in the following http://www.streemspeakers.com/ht-808.asp set up.

I searched the net and really didn't come up with much. The Spot and AVS had someone who was interested and finally bought the set up but he never posted a follow up...hmmm.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Re: Anyone hear of Streem Speakers?
#50509 06/24/04 02:08 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think if no one has ever heard of them, that should tell you something right there??

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#50510 06/24/04 02:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have an opinion about this. WHile I don't know buttkiss about STREEM speakers, and they seem like they're trying to overwhelm buyers with size and specs, rather than satisfy them with sound - I wouldn't necessarily recommend against buying the speaker set.

Here's why...For the last 4-5 years, I have had a really terrible shelf system. Low wattage, poor frequency response, bad imaging, poor build quality, boomy bass, etc. BUT I LOVED IT!

It served me very well for those 4-5 years. And I only spent $400 bucks or so on it. Granted, I now wish that I had bought higher quality components etc. back then and truly enjoyed the home tehater experience - but let's face it. All of those old components would now be obsolete. The receiver probably would not have had DTS. Forget any of the ES or EX decoding. Forget component inputs, or video switching, etc. Forget YPAO, 2nd room capability, yada yada...

For the price, at the time, I couldn't beat my little 5.1 shelf system. And it served me well for the time that I had it.

In all, it basically tided me over until I coudl afford to buy a better HT system that I got to compose based on my needs and desires, whcih I didn't know 5 years ago.

If your friend must simply have to get an HT, must do it all at once, and must do it on the cheap - LET HIM. He'll come around soon enough. Sure, he might be throwing away money (in our minds) for lesser components, but it may be all that he needs to satisfy him now.

Home Theater is a disease, and most of us on the boards have the bug. Others are immune to it, and once they get soudn coming from all around the room, they are satisfied, without reagrd to the quality of that sound. And, then, they'll have money left over for the other things in their life that they enjoy.

Not a diatribe - just a bit of insight from my personal experience

#50511 06/24/04 10:01 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
The only thing is if it looks to good to be true it probably is.What about the Hsu Ventriloquist with Stf-1 its only $500.00.Another $100 and he could get the Stf-2.I see the Streem has no sub.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#50512 06/24/04 11:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sketchy. Look at the contact info and it only allows email. No phone or address.

Looks like white van speakers to me. Stay away...

#50513 06/24/04 11:51 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I had the white van aproach me just yesterday.We(the crew)were going into Chiles for lunch all of a sudden in back of us I hear hey you guys want to buy some nice speakers?When I turned around there it was the WHITE VAN.All I said was get the f**** out of here with your'e scam or I'll call the police.So the guy hells back to me "Its not a scam a**hole its a hustle".When we went inside there was a cop sitting there having lunch.So I walked up to him and told him the story, he ended up calling it in.So the White Van story is indeed true.By the way this happened in Plainfield Il.BEWARE

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#50514 06/25/04 03:53 AM
local
local
The white van story is indeed true. It is also legal. Caveat Emptor.

#50515 06/25/04 04:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have not heard about this mfg'er, and their product does not look to be anything other than mass market equipment.

That having been said, how many people have heard of Axiom before they found this board? Granted, almost all on the board will provide the same type of positive reviews they list.

When I bought my Axioms in the late 1980's, I had the benefit of being able to go into a local dealer and audition them. I had never heard of them, and there was no information available other than the company brochure (which I still have).

I purchased them after listening, and was so impressed after completing my first mid fi system (Axiom, NAD, Thorens- all of which still exist in a casual listening capacity), that on a vacation to the Ontario Near North, I visited and toured the factory!

I guess that might make me the longest tenured Axiom owner, and first on the board to visit the company!

#50516 06/25/04 10:38 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Around here(Il.) you have to have a permit to sell stuff no matter what.So it it not legal around these parts.

Rick

#50517 06/25/04 01:59 PM
HAY Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks for all of the replies guys, the responses are what I was expecting and looking for.

Good luck in the contest!

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
#50518 06/25/04 05:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Caveat emptor indeed - but I wouldn't be too worried about an internet "White van" sale. At least you'll know that the things will likey function, and have a reasonable sound....

That said, you pay for what you get.

On the other hand, for your friend - a complete 5.1 system composed of crap might be better than nothing.

But I wouldn't stop shopping there. This isn't the best deal that I have seen - I agree with checking out the HSU 5.1 system. I also recommend other low end systems - like the SOny Dream Theater (even though I think it is crappy, it will give you 5.1 in your living room - and with style and ease to boot). Keep nosing around - something is bound to pop up that makes you less concerned with quality/reliability etc.

Happy shopping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020