order to build up ht speaker system
#52392 07/14/04 04:50 PM
P
pmulvey Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
P
I am starting my ht system with a pair of m22s and plan to build up the rest over time as budget allows - is there a sensible order should I get the sub, center and surrounds or are you wasting your money if you don't get the full package.

Re: order to build up ht speaker system
#52393 07/14/04 05:00 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
first, you are NEVER wasting your time if you buy anything from axiom!! after that, its all up to you.. if you dont have a good receiver, then i would say to get that next. reason being, if you arent sending a good signal to the speakers, they wont sound good.. make sense??

now, to go farther.. the M22's are lacking in lower end.. so , i would think that you should think about getting a sub next.. but, you need to keep in mind, HT is a very personal thing.. it varies from each person.. so , hook up what you got, listen to it, and ask yourself, "what do i want"?? then go from there.. there is no set formula to this.. the two biggest factors are: 1-what YOU like, 2-how much you can spend!!

have fun with it, and welcome to the forum

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#52394 07/14/04 05:31 PM
shareholder in the making
bigjohn made some good recommendations. There is definitely no set order in which you should purchase your home theater equipment, but it's important to take stock of what you have now and go from there. As bigjohn pointed out, if your current receiver/amp is not up to the task of home theater duty, get that next.

I have a 5.1 system consisting of M22s, VP100, a pair of Cambridge Soundworks surround speakers, an SVS PB1-ISD sub, and an Onkyo TX-DS575 receiver. If I already had a good receiver but only had the M22s, I would want a sub next so that I had a good 2.1 stereo system. (If you had a pair of towers instead of the M22 bookshelves, I'd hold off on the sub.) From there, some people say go with surrounds first and then get the center channel last. Buying in this order is best of you do music more than movies. Getting the center channel first makes more sense if you do movies more than music.

But, in the end, it doesn't matter a whole lot since each incremental step will add so much to your experience. Enjoy the process!

#52395 07/15/04 01:09 AM
PM, you haven't described what you'll want to listen to. If you want surround sound, either for music or movies, obviously you'll need surround speakers. If at first it'll just be stereo, then a sub would be worthwhile, although my M22s have bass good enough for most music even without a sub.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020