Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: does anyone have HD direct TV
#57638 08/20/04 02:57 PM
veteran
veteran
Why did you have to switch back to regular broadcast from HD after having bought a TiVO? I know that the HD signals are copyprotected so that you wouldn't be able to record HD channels, but weren't you still able to get standard broadcast channels?

Are you a DirecTV user or a cable user?

The reason for the questions is that I am a Comcast customer, have HD, and am thinking about getting a TiVO box as well. Can't see getting rid of HD at this point though. HD was a big reason my wife went along with the idea of replacing the TV in the first place.

#57639 08/21/04 03:02 AM
veteran
veteran
I am not an expert, but when I got home with the tivo box... I started to integrate it into my setup. The HD comcast cable box I have use RGB component outs to the tv monitor. And, while it has other options (e.g., svidio -- comcast doesn't have all these extra component working with thier current firmware... e.g., the USB ports are not live etc...until they rev these boxes to turn on all this functionalilty... Of course, this could of been my error or a purposeful attempt at comcast to wait until end of year when they offer their own DVR application...inside thier boxes...

I have Hi-def in my basement where my axioms are and so when it comes time to see the terps beat Duke in Hidef -- I'll be down there. so, it didn't hurt too bad.

Tivo is really nice... I've caught up with TNG which I haven't been able to watch for close to a year... it's fun -- I'm getting all the Olympics I want and I'm fast forwarding through all the commercials. It's worth the twelve bucks a month -- NO doubt. I hope I didn't confuse you more... like I said, im no expert. I almost got the S-video working, but the menu interfaces didn't work properly. Then you have the 3 secound audio synch to worry about if you'rre going through a AV reciever. The fun never ends!!!!

#57640 08/21/04 12:01 PM
veteran
veteran
Here is Tivo's official quote, "A TiVo Digital Video Recorder (DVR) is designed to support standard definition television broadcasts. It will not support High Definition broadcasts. It is possible to connect your DVR to a High Definition television, and to some High Definition cable boxes or satellite receivers. However, the DVR will only record programs from standard definition channels, and all recordings will be displayed in standard definition. For more information on support for HDTV, please see When Will TiVo Support HDTV?"

notice the words, "some hi-def cable boxes" It is possible to go over to your local comcast outlet and talk to a tech and see if the S-Video outs will work -- because Tivo does have S-vidio inputs...mine, unfortunately didn't work.

One other option might be to use an RF splitter split with your coax cable and duplicate source from your cable box...one to the TV monitor, and one to the tivo box. But now you'd be getting into area that might make the setup unfriendly for your wife, because you'd have to change inputs at the TV side for each method of watching.

#57641 08/21/04 01:01 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I was hoping to get this because of football starting soon. But it was impossible because of the mature trees on my property . So much for the NFL ticket . And I so much wanted to see my Miami dolphins run all over everyone this year............Oh wait I forgot they already started to fall apart before the season started.

#57642 08/21/04 01:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah? Well you oughta be a Browns fan. We fell apart about 8 years ago.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#57643 08/21/04 02:16 PM
veteran
veteran
I use the S-Video out on my Comcast box so that looks like a good option for me. I have available S-Video connections on the TV and receiver as well.

Think I'll take the plunge into the DVR world as soon as I get a better read on the Comcast DVR boxes they are rolling out. I got a call from Comcast recently where they had their first generation DVR available (I think it's built right into the cable box so one less box to deal with). Unfortunately that one did not allow you to watch a different channel while the recording was taking place (who would want that?). The rep indicated their 2nd generation box is due out in a matter of months, which will provide that capability. I doubt their interface will be as slick as TiVO's, but it's unlikely that there would be a phone line to deal with.

Decisions, decisions...btw, thanks for the info

#57644 08/22/04 03:40 AM
veteran
veteran
so the svidio works with HDef on your comcast box...be interested to hear if you can get it working with a tivo box. and, comcast has a way of delaying those promised items like DVR to stop people from committing to another technology... but, as you said they already have one. BTW, if you have a wireless network in your house for your computers -- you can use that for your Tivo link from the USB port via wireless card, thus ommitting the need to run a phone line over.

The record and watch feature requires the a coax splitter -- one to TV -- one to the DVR box... the fun never stops.

#57645 08/22/04 06:36 PM
veteran
veteran
Dear Mr. Baggins -
I think Comcast rolls out new technology to selected markets before introducing them widespread. Guess this allows them to work out the bugs in order to avoid a flood of Cust Svc calls (or one of those "nasty adventures" as a certain hobbit might say).

Great info about the wireless network (I have one). How would I get my network's WEP key registered for the network card's IP address? I know how to get computers hooked up to my wireless network, but unless I remove the WEP protection I am unclear as to how I would get a TiVO box recognized. Does TiVO provide a software interface for this?

Thanks for your replies re: TiVO. It's really helping me along in the decision making process.

#57646 08/23/04 08:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you want Tivo-like features and HD, there are 2 options. The Hughes HD DirecTivo or Dish's 921 PVR. The Dish apparently has a lot of bugs, but if you read the Tivo forums, you may come to the same conclusion. Keep it in perspective, most people post on those boards when they have problems.

I have the HD Tivo and it's great to watch 6' under, olympics and movies time shifted.

I have a friend who works in the Comcast marketing group back east and even he said not to get the "rumored" Comcast DVR.

#57647 08/24/04 03:45 AM
veteran
veteran
WEP... speaking of "nasty adventures"... it would seem that if you use different wireless adapter cards in your network not all will "auto encrypt" through a simple password... a major pain to have to manually enter the long encryption codes... seemed to have gotten worse after Cisco purchased Linksys...

re: Tivo. The adapter will probably be a dongle that hangs from the USB port on the TIVO box. The software is freely downloaded from the TIVO site to install on your computer. WEP is supported and configured from your TIVO menu console. It supports up to 128 encryption in either alpha or hexi. Hope this helps.

BTW, TIVO did such a great on their interface, my wife ( the techno-phobic), is showing me how to use it. A wonderful change in my life.

Good luck in your config. I hope you get both tivo and Hidef going...

BB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020