Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Bi-wiring or Bi-amping?
#59194 09/02/04 09:32 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Oh God, he's going to make me hijack this thread.

Wal-Mart is one of the most unethically run commercial enterprises in the history of the world. They are anti-union and anti-public-education. They abuse wage and overtime laws relentlessly. Their predatory marketing practices force the loss of American jobs. They systematically provide poverty-level wages and benefits to employees, while deliberately shifting the corresponding health care burden to public programs. Shopping at Wal-Mart is making a deal with the devil; you get a short-term cost savings in return for incrementally undermining opportunities for living-wage jobs in your own country. Wal-Mart is the evidence other countries and future generations will cite as what is wrong with Capitalism.

I take this all very personally, and very seriously. I am a union member and a union employee. Wal-Mart contributes to extreme political groups in my state that would like me to be unemployed. I will never shop at Wal-Mart.

This one is a pretty good synopsis.

Here is an in-depth look at how the hugeness of Wal-Mart contributes to the loss of American jobs.

I have little common political ground with the National Organization for Women, but they concisely convey the reprehensible practices perpetrated by Wal-Mart.

We vote at the polls, and at the cash register. It is beyond time to demonstrate your economic preference for firms that share your core values.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#59195 09/02/04 11:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Uh-oh Tom, I don't want to disagree with you. I've read those stories about Wal-Mart helping their employees apply for public assistance. That ain't right.
However, grocery store checkers elsewhere are paid wages far exceeding the fair market value for that labor. With the advent of the price scanner a checker's job just doesn't seem like one that should bring wages of $20/hr. It certainly doesn't seem like a job one should count on as a career.

#59196 09/03/04 01:29 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
tom, i am union also.. CWA 6171, a steward in my dept in fact.

i shop wal-mart cause everytime i leave there, my receipt is lower than any other place i shop. i have never investigated the labor angle of the store, i just know i get good deals there.. but, i kinda agree with bigwill on this.. sales checkers, stock boys, and dressing room attendant arent exactly career jobs. they ARE minimum pay kinda jobs. no different than the bagger and stock boys at super markets all across the US. i would bet that wal-mart pays a slightely higher pay to those employees in those positions(by comparison to local market) than any other place in town? just a guess..

i worked at our towns old walmart all through high school, and they paid me OK for a 17-18 year old kid. it was just enough to get me what i wanted.. but, also, it was enough to make me realize that i didnt want to do it for the rest of my life.

a job is a job.. i aint putting down what you are saying. but if led your whole life only purchasing from companies that were 'union friendly', you better start growing a garden, cause there wont be too many places for you to shop!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#59197 09/03/04 02:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is from Wal-Mart's Canadian site:

QUEBEC CITY, QUEBEC – A Wal-Mart located in Jonquière, Quebec is on its way to becoming the only unionized Wal-Mart in North America after a ruling on Monday by the Quebec Labour Relations Board (QLRC) to grant employees union certification with UFCW Canada (United Food and Commercial Workers Canada).

The union accreditation was issued by the QLRC after a majority of employees at the Saguenay-region store, about 220 kilometres north of Quebec City, signed UFCW Canada membership cards. A hearing has been scheduled for August 20th to finalize the makeup of the bargaining unit, following a statement by QLRC adjudicator Jocelyne Houle that no matter the definition of the unit, "the applicant is representative, as required by law."

"This is great victory for the workers in Jonquière, and for Wal-Mart workers everywhere," said Michael J. Fraser, UFCW Canada's national director.

"Wal-Mart is on the record stating they support workplace democracy," said Fraser. "The majority of workers in Jonquière have spoken, so we expect Wal-Mart to listen and get down to negotiating a first contract without delay."

Fraser went on to say, "Wal-Mart has also now gone on the record stating that ‘we would not close the store because of a union'."

"So Wal-Mart workers should stop believing the rumours their stores will close if they exercise their right to form a union," said Fraser. "What's happened in Quebec can happen at any Wal-Mart store in North America. Jonquière is only the first of more to come."

Getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/SVS 2000/m60/Monolith 3x200 amp
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,231 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup