Re: EP500 better Low End Response at Higher decibles
#67416 11/10/04 05:03 AM
M
MykeW Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
Thanks DJ-Stunna point taken it could be difficult to actually hear the distortion. What I was trying to get after though was the onboard DSP is supposed to prevent the sub from distoring. I'm way out of my depth in understanding how I'm getting these readings but it could be attributable to the DPS in some way. Possibly the DSP limits specifically only those frequencies that are disorting. Hence at a certain level only the lower freq are limited. As the volume is increased so are higher and higher frequencies are limited by the DSP and the curve then starts to look more and more flat????? At any rate I'll search around for this RTA software you mention and see if I can get anywhere with that.

Thanks a bunch, Jag

#67417 11/10/04 05:27 AM
aficionado
aficionado
What I got from reading the specs was that it would prevent the amplifier from damaging the driver... I would imagine that with the 600W amplifier in the EP600, it would be more of a factor than in the 500 if that were the case.

I've got a question/comment about the sub: I am very surprised Axiom didn't implement a subsonic filter on the subwoofer. In the Audioholics preview, I believe that Ian mentioned that one would be implemented, but I guess that never happeend? (At least it doesn't appear from your readings that such a filter is in place.) It really isn't good to waste precious power on frequencies that cannot even be heard. Is there an option to set it at like 16 or 18 Hz or something around there and you defeated that or did they just not include that feature?

#67418 11/10/04 06:09 AM
M
MykeW Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
In short no. At least not an adjustable subsonic filter on the back panel. It does have a Boost adjustment for boosting frequencies in around 33Hz and is supposed to be used for small to medium rooms. I haven't played with this yet to see what affect if any it would have for me. In all my measurements I left the knob set to Flat were there is apparently no Boosting of any frequencies. My one complaint if I have one is you get very little info with the Axiom speakers on specs, set up, warranty ect. However, if you go to the EP500 page they give some general description of the DSP functionings. You'll note it says:
In reply to:

XLF won't stand for peaks and dips! It controls every frequency from 16 - 100 Hz, maintaining a smooth, flat response within 1.5 dB across the entire range. That means you'll hear undistorted, profoundly deep rumbles all the way to 15 Hz.

I would speculate its possible the DSP functions in part as a subsonic filter, but whether or not it does is entirely unkown to me.

Cheers, Jag

PS if you have a site/link on hand for this RTA software could you send it my way? I've found some Demo's but they're quite limited and don't allow you to save anything.
Thanks!

#67419 11/10/04 07:35 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I think this or this would work, but sadly they are only time-limited trial versions. They probably offer more than enough time to test out that monster sub though...

#67420 11/10/04 08:23 AM
M
MykeW Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
Cheers, DJ_Stunna. MUCH appreciated. I'll take a look. Hopefully I'll beable to explain those low down numbers...

I just did some further tests as to John's recommendation of trying a diagonal corner location. I've included Uncompensated and Compensated plots. No real difference with these positions either. Yet again if I turn it up a bit to normalize the 50Hz tone to 100db I get more in the lower end ???

It does seem regardless of where I place it I don't significantly change the response.

So I guess I'll be happy with my original position given that its the most convenient location.

Thanks all, Jag

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,492
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020