Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
More MX-700 Questions from an ignorant remote user
#68805 11/21/04 07:54 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
I checked back on that long MX-700 thread from several weeks ago to see if I could find answers to some questions and couldn't find what I was looking for. I thought I'd post a new thread with my questions since you guys like talking about the remote anyway….

The only "serious" remote I've ever owned/used is the Sony 2000 touch screen…. So I'm really pretty ignorant about remotes such as these. There were some things that I really liked about the Sony, but I found it couldn't do everything that I needed it to do. And really, if you don't have ALL of your functions consolidated and have to keep many other remotes nearby to use sometimes, what's the point?

For instance, I have two Sony Jukeboxes daisy-chained as designed. The remote would control most of the functions of the "Master" jukebox, but there wasn't any way to switch to the "Slave" Jukebox. So, if I had them in "crossfade" mode to continuously play as alternating units, the remote virtually became useless. I assume that a remote like the 700, being fully programmable, allows for situations such as this?

Also, in addition to the two jukeboxes, I also have a Pioneer 578 DVD player that I frequently use as a single-disc universal player. Further, I'd like to add a DVD recorder to the system someday. My old Sony remote would not be able to recognize 4 different disc players, are there any limits such as this with the MX-700? I'm already finding myself a bit frustrated at the seeming lack of input-labeling on my Denon 3805; maybe it wouldn't matter so much if the remote was user-configurable for labeling and I didn't have to look at the wrongly-labeled front panel on my Denon!

I'm a TiVo devotee, and that TiVo remote is one that generally doesn't leave your hands (you TiVo users know what I'm talking about! ). I really don't mind keeping the TiVo remote on the coffee table along with a universal remote, but for those of you who might have TiVo AND the 700, can the 700 fully and ergonomically replace the TiVo remote? It would be a nice bonus!

I frequently sleep on the couch in the living room. To head off the inevitable questions, my wife awakes at 5 AM for work, and it's not at all infrequent that I'm going to sleep at 3 or 4 AM after working late on a project (the joys of being self-employed!). The only feature (that I was aware of at the time of purchase, anyway) that my Denon receiver didn't have was a timer. I would really, really like it if I could listen to a CD on a sleep-timer-controlled system at night. (My TV has a sleep timer, but then I get involved in the program and stay up even later!) It seems as though the MX-700 doesn't offer timer features, but from some page on remotecentral where asked about features desired to produce a list of matching remotes, the MX-700 shows up. Can anyone confirm whether it has sleep and/or wake timers or not?

Finally, are there any current recommendations for dealers? There was talk of open box vs. new, authorized dealers and non-authorized dealers, and even discussion that the 700 looked like it was about to get replaced. Does anyone have any current recommendations on purchasing one?

Sorry if these questions are pretty basic… I think sophisticated remotes (much like the aforementioned TiVo) really can't be appreciated without actually using one for a month or two. I'll bop around remotecentral.com too, but I wouldn't expect to find these specific answers there and, besides, I like and trust you people more!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: More MX-700 Questions from an ignorant remote user
#68806 11/21/04 08:14 PM
OP Offline
As if my original post wasn't long enough, I've thought of two more questions!!

Does anyone use the MX-700 in combination with the Denon 3805? Is there any comparison at all between the Denon's remote and the MX-700? It seems like some really like the Denon remote, but it might just be that they've never used a really excellent remote. (Neither have I, but it would be nice to know how they compare!).

A recently purchased PDA has NEVO software, which is basically a programmable-remote software program. I really haven't explored it much yet except to discover that you seem to spend too much time switching "pages" to get to additional functions and you really have to use the stylus if you have normal, man-sized fingers.

But out of curiosity, has anyone here tried NEVO as a universal-remote solution?

#68807 11/21/04 09:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark,

Ya gotta download the MX Editor Software, and the MX Editor Programming Manual and fool with the software a bit. You'll get the best idea of what the remote can do by doing that.

In reply to:

My old Sony remote would not be able to recognize 4 different disk players, are there any limits such as this with the MX-700?

I'm not sure what you mean by "recognize," but the MX-700 can certainly control 4 different disk players. The "Main" screen has 2 pages. All 10 hard buttons along the screen, are fully programmable, and can be labeled anything you want, up to 5 characters. So, 2 pages with 10 buttons for each page, means you can control up to 20 different devices. You can have DVD-1, DVD-2, DVD-3, etc. Or you can label them "Sony1,"Sony2," etc. Whatever you want.

When you press your DVD-1 button, the screen changes from the "Main" screen to one titled "DVD-1." And, that screen has up to 4 pages, 10 buttons per page. That's 40 commands, PLUS all the other hard buttons on the remote, to control one device.

I have page one of my "Main" page set up to control specific tasks - "TV" (for just watching the news), "TV+
RC" (for watching TV with the sound coming from my receiver), "Mov-1" (for watching a DVD on my Bravo); etc. My "Main" page two is set up to control each individual component - cable box, TV, Bravo D2 DVD player, CD player, VCR, lights, and the all important "Switch" function.

When I push the Mov-1 button, the screen is switched from "Main" to one titled "Mov-1." Then I push the "ON" button, that one button turns on my DVD player and opens the tray; turns on my receiver and switches it's input to "DVD"; turns on my HDTV and pauses for 25 seconds while the lamp warms up and turns on, then switches the input from S-Video 1 to the DVI input, and turns the TV volume down to "0." All I have to do now is put the DVD in the tray and close the tray. Viola! Movie!

If I finish my movie, and want to watch TV, I hit the "Main" button which takes me back to the "Main" screen, hit the "Page" button, which takes me to Page 2 of the "Main" screen, then hit "Switch" which takes me to the "Switch" screen where I have macros programmed to switch me from one function to another. It takes just 2 seconds to hit those 3 buttons, bing bang boom. Then I press the "RetTV" (Return to TV) button, and that one button closes the DVD tray; turns off the DVD player; turns on the cable box; switches inputs on my receiver and shuts it off; turns up the TV volume and switches the TV input from "DVI" to "S-Video 1". Viola! TV!

The MX-700 has the ability to program a time delay into a macro, but the longest delay you can program is 60 seconds. So, I don't think you can use it for a sleep timer.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: More MX-700 Questions from an ignorant remote
#68808 11/21/04 09:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm seeing an open box special on bluedo.com for $189.

What's your experience with battery life, Jack? Does it eat through them pretty quickly?

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#68809 11/21/04 09:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
one thing to remember is if the different CD players use the same codes, there is no way to differentiate which CD player you want to receive the code.

For instance....if you have two Sony jukeboxes, and choose to hit "play"....both those jukeboxes will get that command.

#68810 11/21/04 09:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Dealers:

BlueDo.com: Authorized Dealer; $187.41; free shipping with code MX7OB2

SurfRemoteControl: Authorized Dealer; $189.95; $8 off shipping with code SHIPDISC

Consumer-Direct.com: UNAUTHORIZED DEALER; $179.95; shipping $12.67

Jack

#68811 11/21/04 10:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Battery life has been good. I haven't really tracked it, but I've replaced them once, just a few weeks ago, since I got the remote in May. And I'm a fairly heavy user. The remote was still working when I replaced the batteries, but the light was VERY dark, so I put new ones in. You can probably figure on, at least, 4 months per battery change, give or take.

Jack

#68812 11/21/04 10:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Not bad at all. I would have guessed much worse for such a powerful device.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#68813 11/21/04 10:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think the light takes a lot of power, but I find I don't use it all that much. If I used it more often, the battery life might be shorter. Don't really know for sure.

Jack

#68814 11/22/04 12:10 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Is there any comparison at all between the Denon's remote and the MX-700?

I have the 3805 and the MX-700. Once I programed everything that I needed into the 700 I put the Denon remote in the drawer and never looked back. The Denon remote, while looking kind of cool with it's blue lights, is no match for the capabilities of the MX-700. It's like going from a Dodge Neon to a 500 series BMW. The Denon remote was ok for operating the receiver but not very intuitive for the rest of the HT gear and I grew tired of it very quickly.

By programing the the MX-700 using the MX-Editor program, I know exactly where everything is when I need it because I set it up myself. The MX-Editor is easy to use even for the computer illiterate like me. There is seemingly nothing this thing can't do (although I haven't figured out what to do about devices that don't have discreet on/off codes but I'm sure there is a work around. I just haven't taken the time to look for it.)

I didn't like the psuedo touch pad of the Denon remote (not really crazy about touch screens at all). I absoultly love the hard button layout of the 700 and it is easy to speed through the pages for each piece of equipment that you've setup. You can program up to four pages of functions for each device if you wanted to. I find that I can get all of the most used functions on the first page and use the remainder of the pages for the less used functions. I don't have to spend a lot of time switching pages for day to day operation.

I hated the way the backlight on the denon would go off as you were trying to figure out what you were going to do next and then have to shake it again to get the light to come on. The 700 has a hard button to turn the backlight on/off and if you leave the light on it will turn itself off after a generous amount of time. It does not burn batteries like the Denon remote did either.

I like the way the 700 feels in the hand but because it is a somewhat large remote it is sometimes easier to use two hands. It has a hefty feel to it (unlike the Denon remote) and the surface texture of the 700 feels good to the touch.....no touchy/feely jokes please.

I bought my 700 at bluedo.com as open box for $189.82. I have spent a lot of crazy money on HT/audio gear over the years and I can honestly say that the 700 is one of the top 3 best purchases I've ever made.

Before I bought mine (and even after), I got a lot of help at the remotecentral.com message boards. Lots of very remote savy folks (and a few bonafide experts) over there willing to help.

Having said all this, and at the risk of stating the obvious, I don't think this remote and many others of it's high end ilk (Pronto,Harmony, etc.) is for everyone. I think it would be hard for the nonaudiophile to appreciate the capabilities of these kinds of powerful remotes as they are designed for the true enthusiast who is passionate enough to put in the time and effort on these things. Most people if not all in my circle of friends are just as happy with the 8-in-1 "universal" that they bought at Wal-Fart.

It's too bad there is no try before you buy 30 day return policy on these things.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#68815 11/22/04 12:38 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Whew! Lotsa questions. Mark, Jack is correct - there aren't many things you can't program into the MX-700. However, as Curtis points out, the whole 4 Sony thing might be problematic if they all use the same codes (this would be aproblem then for ANY remote you chose).. I suspect they may not. One way to check is this - get each of those remotes out and hit the power button for each one. If the remote only turns on the unit it is specific to, you are in business and can program each separately. I have a similar issue right now in that the same commands operate my Denon 2900 DVD player and my Denon 4800 5 CD changer. The only solution I had (they both have a standby function) was to turn off the 4800 and leave the 2900 in standby. In this way, the 700 only operates the 2900. When I am going to use the 4800 for music, I simply turn the 2900 off. Simple to do, if a bit kludgy. Once you do the individual remote test, call Mike at Surf Remote Control. Ask him about 1) the daisy chain, 2)the 4 Sony unit thing and 3) the timer issue. Mike's customer service rivals that of Axiom.

If each of your cmponents has atimer function, then you simply need to find the command and program it into the 700. Don't forget that the 700 is also a learning remote, so you can use the individual remote(s) to teach the 700.

As far as the 3805 goes, the MX-700 is nothing short of hog heaven. There is a "Philips Pronto and Pronto Pro" Files section at Remote Central for Denon receivers that has a file created by a gentleman named David Grey. There are 2 files there and you would want the earlier one. Unfortunately, no sleep or timer command. However, the file (which comes with an excel spreadsheet listing each command) has EVERY Denon receiver code available. Better than a toy store.

Ooops - forgot. Battery life is pretty much a non-issue. About 4 months for heavy usage and it uses 4 AAs.

Last edited by Ray3; 11/22/04 12:40 AM.
#68816 11/22/04 01:31 AM
OP Offline
Curtis wrote:
In reply to:

one thing to remember is if the different CD players use the same codes, there is no way to differentiate which CD player you want to receive the code.

For instance....if you have two Sony jukeboxes, and choose to hit "play"....both those jukeboxes will get that command.

The Sonys have a button on the front panel (and a switch on the remote) to designate whether you are controlling the "master" or the "slave" jukebox. I think the jist of how it works is that the remotes' signal is basically always going to the Master unit, but then the control cable that connects the two allows the Master unit to then control the slave unit.

Unfortunately, my aforementioned Sony universal remote would not allow the programming of the button that allows you to choose whether you're controlling the Master or Slave. In other words, my gut feeling is that the MX-700, if fully programmable, would allow that function to be assigned.

My concern was whether or not there's a limit to the number of a certain "type" of component. In other words, you may be allowed to control up to 20 components, but it might be limited to three disc players or something, and the fourth would have to be a modified "mini-disc" function or something.

#68817 11/22/04 02:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
No limit on any "type" of device. It controls 20 devices of any kind.

When you watch a DVD movie, you've got 3 devices operating - TV, DVD player, and receiver. If you program one of those 20 "devices" to control things when watching a movie, you can program any of the buttons to control functions for all 3 of the devices, without having to do a lot of switching from screen to screen.

Jack

#68818 11/22/04 02:35 AM
OP Offline
OK, I'm sold.

Let me review the dealers mentioned above and I'll order one tonight!

Edited: I ordered one from Surf based upon everyone saying that "Mike" is a great guy. I went for two-day FedEx so I would hopefully get it before Thanksgiving...to give me something to do while vegging after the feast!

Of course, I have no idea if they ship "next business day" or if it takes three days before they ship. I kinda did this whole thing on faith.

You guys better be right! Oh. And "thank you" for all your help!

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 11/22/04 02:59 AM.

#68819 11/22/04 03:10 AM
veteran
veteran
Man I want this remote so BAD!!!

I went with the harmony 659 because I would have spent hours and hours just programing/playing with the mx-700!!!

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#68820 11/22/04 03:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, you DO spend hours and hours programming the MX-700. It kept me off the streets and out of trouble. Also, it's kinda fun .

Mark, you have any problems don't hesitate to call......................................................................Ray.

Jack

#68821 11/22/04 03:18 AM
veteran
veteran
hehe, problem is I have homework to do...and I already have sooo many movies to watch...

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#68822 11/22/04 03:34 AM
OP Offline
In reply to:

Mark, you have any problems don't hesitate to call......................................................................Ray

COOL! Can you PM me his cell number? That way I can get hiim at something other than "normal business hours"!

#68823 11/22/04 04:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Unfortunately, my aforementioned Sony universal remote would not allow the programming of the button that allows you to choose whether you're controlling the Master or Slave. In other words, my gut feeling is that the MX-700, if fully programmable, would allow that function to be assigned.

Does that code actually exist? The question would be if there are actually codes to control the slave device seperately from the master.

If there is a code, chances are the MX-700 can handle it, if there is not a code...no remote will handle it.

#68824 11/22/04 04:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

If I finish my movie, and want to watch TV, I hit the "Main" button which takes me back to the "Main" screen, hit the "Page" button, which takes me to Page 2 of the "Main" screen, then hit "Switch" which takes me to the "Switch" screen where I have macros programmed to switch me from one function to another. It takes just 2 seconds to hit those 3 buttons, bing bang boom. Then I press the "RetTV" (Return to TV) button, and that one button closes the DVD tray; turns off the DVD player; turns on the cable box; switches inputs on my receiver and shuts it off; turns up the TV volume and switches the TV input from "DVI" to "S-Video 1". Viola! TV!

That all sounds fine to me, but I don't know if my wife would like it. She already complains that there are too many buttons to push to do things and that it is too confusing. I don't think hitting those couple of buttons that don't directly relate to the device being controlled would work for her.

#68825 11/22/04 06:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, program the remote the way it will work for her. That's the great thing about the MX-700. You can program it the way YOU want it. I've got no W, so I don't need to worry about the WAF. So, my setup is a little complicated for others, but not for me.

Jack

#68826 11/22/04 04:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mark
Are you on a Mac? If so, this remote is not Mac compatible. Sure wished it was though.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#68827 11/22/04 05:40 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Mark,

Sorry I'm late to the party. It looks like everyone basically took care of you. Ray and Jack were "on call" for MX-700 this weekend; I had to officiate a swim meet. But I digress.

As Jack said, you can have 20 devices of ANY kind. I seriously considered loading devices from the bedroom into the Main-page-2, but then the remote would leave the living room, and no good can come from that. Have as many CD players as you want.

That Sony thing could be trouble. As Curtis observed, it may be the limitation of the equipment, not a limitation of the remote.

I have DirecTivo - the MX-700 swallowed it up in one gulp. No problems at all.

I had the Denon 1804 - the remote now gathers dust.

I'm unaware of timer functions specifically on the remote (I wish it had a clock), but if the other equipment DOES have a sleep timer, the MX-700 can learn it.

I got mine at Surf. No regrets.

I also just replaced my first set of batteries after about four months.

One good tip that Ray gave me was to "store" the remote face-down. I'd never thought of that before, but it does seem to help keep the buttons clean.

I programmed all my devices with press-and-hold macros that include turning off other things. So all you have to do is go to main and "hold" DVD (or whatever) and it not only turns on the DVD player and TV, switches the inputs, goes to the DVD page, but also turns off/stops the other devices. It works for me, and more importantly, for my wife.

Good luck!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#68828 11/22/04 06:10 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Jack - LOL. That buck never had a chance to get your finger prints on it as you passed it to me. .

Mark - I'll be happy to help you. Send me a PM with your email and I'll drop my MX-700 file to you with some information. It will give you an idea of how I set mine up and how easy the programming is. Hopefully, you are reading the programming manual while the 700 is in transport.

#68829 11/22/04 06:16 PM
OP Offline
Tom:
Thanks for your input as well!

I have a question for which some other MX-700 users might have the answer.

I believe I read somewhere that when, for instance, you use a Macro to turn on all the necessary equipment to "play a DVD", the remote will do so accurately even if some of the equipment was already turned on.

Is this true? It doesn't seem to make sense that this is possible based upon my knowledge of how the power switches work in conjunction with a remote (I thought that it would switch the component to the opposite state of on/off that it was currently in).

Make sense?

#68830 11/22/04 06:21 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
That's generally correct. However, if you have a toggle command (DVD tray command opens and closes the tray), you might get a couple of quirks. The better answer is to build a "switch" macro that accomplishes all with a single button push.

#68831 11/22/04 06:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I believe I read somewhere that when, for instance, you use a Macro to turn on all the necessary equipment to "play a DVD", the remote will do so accurately even if some of the equipment was already turned on.

Is this true? It doesn't seem to make sense that this is possible based upon my knowledge of how the power switches work in conjunction with a remote (I thought that it would switch the component to the opposite state of on/off that it was currently in).

Make sense?

A lot of devices now have "discrete" codes. That is, a specific code to turn on the device, and one to turn off the device. These are the codes you use to get that "smart" functionality.

Without these discrete codes, you are correct, it is a toggle and you would encounter problems.

#68832 11/22/04 06:53 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm expecting my remote in on Wednesday and hope to spend a little time doing the programming tonight or tomorrow!

Wht really sold me on the remote was a few people (I'm not sure "who" at the moment) that spoke of the remote the same way TiVo users talk about that device: "It's hard to describe how great it really is until you've got one in your hands and actually use it a bit". To me, there's not much higher praise!

I'm looking forward to it!

#68833 11/22/04 07:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! Ray, there ain't a buck alive that's stayed in my hands long enough to pick up any fingerprints. They's all jus' passin' thu.

In reply to:

Mark, If I remember correctly, that is a feature of Harmony remotes. If I'm correct, it's not as functional as it sounds. The remote will tell you it assumes a device is off, and asks if this is correct. If it's not, then you tell the remote that the device is on, or something like that. I have a 659 that I could never get to work well for me. I'm sure one of our Harmony owners can clarify what I'm trying to say.

Jack

#68834 11/22/04 08:27 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mark, Curtis has got it right. Ray and Jack are, well, nice fellows and snappy dressers.

When Ray sends you his files, you'll see that there are discrete codes for Receiver-On and Receiver-Off. MANY other contemporary components will have the same codes available. These are different codes than the "toggle" that is on the one on/off button on your existing remote. The MX-700 can use not only the (large!) database of codes that come with the software, but also Pronto files. Be sure to run "Live Update" or whatever they call it after you install MX Editor so that you get the most recent, comprehensive set of codes.

The only one I had trouble with was a 13 year old Mitsubishi VCR. I can't remember the last time I used the stupid thing. I was able to find discrete codes for everything else I own.

Ray and I have a philosophical disagreement about the best way to switch between devices. But that's okay, because his setup works great for him, and my setup works great for me. It's probably because he has cooler gadget boxes than I do. The other thing for me is that I have my (old) CD player on the switched outlet of the Denon so it comes on when the receiver does. So, when I'm going to other devices, my remote actually just "Stops" the CD player.

Remember to buy some IR light switches when you're at Home Despot.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#68835 11/22/04 09:51 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Actually, since I got into this HT thing, I haven't been able to afford to dress nice. I'm down to my last leather thong.

#68836 11/22/04 10:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Geez....I have an MX-500....you guys with the 700 are making me jealous!

#68837 11/22/04 11:03 PM
Dude.

Seriously.

Dude.

We don't need to know that $#!*. C'mon, man!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#68838 11/22/04 11:10 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Curtis - let me help you open your wallet a bit more. . I had the MX-500 for about a year (IRclone and I didn't get along very well, but I'm sure that was due more to operator error) and upgraded to the MX-700. As good as the 500 is, the 700 is much better. Kinda of like going from a mini-van to a Corvette. Spend the bucks - you will not regret it for a minute. Plus, you'll have a very nice spare MX-500 for your second setup in the den.

On a more serious note, the new MX-850 Orion has just been introduced and it replaces the MX-700 / MX-800. The supply of 700s should start to dry up shortly.

#68839 11/22/04 11:10 PM
Crap! And the MX-850 is WAY more expensive.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#68840 11/22/04 11:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Curtis, Do you have and use the IR Clone software for the MX-500? That's the big difference between the 500 and 700.

Ray makes a good point. There should be some reduced price MX-700s around when the 850 gets going.

Jack

#68841 11/22/04 11:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes...I use IR Clone.....I do not like it very much either.

Maybe I will wait for the 850 so you guys can be jealous of me....bwahahahahaa....

#68842 11/22/04 11:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What am I? Nuts? I don't need the 850!

You guys are bad influences!

#68843 11/22/04 11:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think you need the 850 though Ray. (then you can sell the 700 to me for cheap )

#68844 11/22/04 11:42 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I expect it wll be awhile before the MX-700 dries up. Also, when the 850 hits it's stride, there will be "open box" specials for it as well. The 700 retails for $350 with open box pricing right around &190 (and as Jack points out, the price may drop towards the end of its life). The 850 retails at $399, so the open box on those will probably come in at around $210-$220. Not a whole lot more considering the daily use you'd get out of it.

Incidentally, I dropped a note to Mike at SurfRemoteControl and told him of the recent discussions for the 700. There are some questions that have popped up that he could provide input and expertise on (including some of the discussion on Harmony remotes) and I invited him to drop by.

Jack/Curtis, the IRClone software is a big difference, that's true. However, the 700 also has double the number of available devices and has better macro capability (which I can't really quantify for you). The other major difference is the ability of the 700 to take advantage of the 7,000+ Pronto files that are available. Since the IRClone SW runs around $75, it might be worthwhile to out that money towards the 700 as the MX-Editor SW is much more elegant.

You know, I should mention that I have absolutely nothing to gain if someone buys one of these things. I'm just trying to make everyone aware of what a great piece of equipment it is for HT.

#68845 11/22/04 11:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Geez...I hate you guys!

I just checked the MX Editor software, and after the update, my Sherwood/Newcastle P-965 pre/pro is listed.

My trigger finger is getting very itchy!

#68846 11/22/04 11:49 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
You are sooo easy!!!

#68847 11/22/04 11:50 PM
OP Offline
In reply to:

My trigger finger is getting very itchy!

I haven't even received mine yet, but I feel it's the best thing I've ever done. My golf game has improved, and my dog, well, just seems happier.

#68848 11/22/04 11:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I hear that this remote is so good, that it can actually teach your dog to play golf with you!

#68849 11/22/04 11:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well...I know how much I like my MX-500...and I know what it lacks. It seems the 700 fills those gaps.

If I wanted to...I could sell my MX-500...or give it to my Parents.

#68850 11/23/04 12:02 AM
OP Offline
In reply to:

or give it to my Parents.

You're mean. They raised you, you know. Changed diapers... the whole thing.

Buy them a MX-700 too. Why should they suffer?

#68851 11/23/04 12:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hehehehe.....because I will program it for them, and it will be a set&forget kind of thing.

My Dad is still trying to figure out the HK525 I gave them...it is way more than they need.

Anyways...I just pulled the trigger on the 700.

#68852 11/23/04 12:24 AM
OP Offline
In reply to:

I just pulled the trigger on the 700.

Woo Hoo!

Now, you're not going to use it with anything less than Lexicon equipment, are you???

#68853 11/23/04 12:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am extremely happy with my P-965.

#68854 11/23/04 12:30 AM
OP Offline
Alright guys, it didn't work.

All bets for getting a forum member to upgrade by $10,000 worth of euipment didn't work! It was fun, though, as long as he never finds out by me accidently posting thi

#68855 11/23/04 12:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, we talked Curtis into it. With your familiarity with the MX-500, and your computer knowledge, you'll have this thing programmed in a nanosecond. I think you'll really like it. I like that, with the software, I can make changes and adjustments really fast.

Jack

#68856 11/23/04 12:43 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Curtis - good for you! You are really going to enjoy the 700. Now all you need to do is download MX-Editor and the programming manual from Remote Central. If all goes well, you can set up the entire file before the remote arrives!!!

#68857 11/23/04 12:56 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Where did you order it from?

Reading this thread is causing an itch. I'm sort of over having 4 remote controls taking up 1/2 my coffee table.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#68858 11/23/04 12:57 AM
OP Offline
Hey guys.... wake up! We have a new pigeon!

#68859 11/23/04 01:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I ordered from Surf Remote...same place I got my MX-500.

The kicker was the software. It is much more advanced than IR_Clone, and it has all my equipment in the list. It should be very easy for me to set it up for every remote controllable device I have.

#68860 11/23/04 01:06 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hmmm...how happy would I be with your MX-500? Or did you already promise it to you parents?

#68861 11/23/04 01:15 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hehe. That's funny.

Must remember... Christmas presents... for family and friends... must save money...

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#68862 11/23/04 01:33 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

I just pulled the trigger on the 700.

Welcome to the new 700 Club. Just don't tell Pat Robertson we found something new to worship.

#68863 11/23/04 01:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Haven't promised it to anybody yet. I want to make sure the 700 works like I want it to first.

#68864 11/23/04 04:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks like my MK-700 just might show up tomorrow!!

#68865 11/23/04 05:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Man! That was fast! Pretty good service. You will, of course, let us know how long, in actual minutes it takes for you to program it, and how you like it. Have fun.

Jack

#68866 11/23/04 05:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It helps when Surf Remote is only an hour from me.

Hopefully I will get to mess around with it tomorrow night. From looking at the software it should be very easy to setup my components, it is more a matter of what kind of macros I want to setup.

#68867 11/23/04 05:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, I got macros out the gazookie. I love it!

Jack

#68868 11/23/04 06:04 PM
regular
regular
If you need any questions answered regarding programming, just give us a call or e-mail me. Of all the remotes we sell, I still use an MX-800 at home, even though I have an MX-3000 from beta testing.

Mike

Mike Surf Remote Control Surf Audio Video
#68869 11/23/04 06:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Mike...I talked to Susan on the phone this morning to verify some credit card info. You have some great customer service!

If you need help beta testing the MX-3000....let me know!

#68870 11/23/04 06:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike, thanks for taking the time to come by and contribute. It's appreciated.

Jack

#68871 11/23/04 06:55 PM
OP Offline
Ray has been offering much help to me on the MX-700 I'm receiving tomorrow from you Mike and, despite my joking with him in another forum, I'm pretty confident he'll be very helpful!

But it's great to have you here! I bought from your company based solely on the nice things said about you here!

#68872 11/23/04 07:42 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Hi Mike! Thanks for stopping by. There has been quite a bit of activity surrounding remotes lately, most notably the MX-700, and your expertise & advice will be welcome.

#68873 11/23/04 10:08 PM
regular
regular
Thanks all.

"If you need help beta testing the MX-3000....let me know!"

Sorry, that was a year ago, but I'll keep you in mind for the upcoming MX-950.

#68874 11/24/04 07:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's here!!!

#68875 11/24/04 07:15 PM
OP Offline
In reply to:

It's here!!!

Mine too! Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to have much time to do anything with it in the next two days... I have company coming!

#68876 11/24/04 07:18 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Mark, pull the blinds and turn off the lights!

Curtis, let us know what you think of it.

#68877 11/24/04 07:41 PM
OP Offline
About all I did do was put the batts in and light it in a closet!

#68878 11/24/04 08:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
took me less than 5 minutes to program with the software....real easy.

Now I am just thinking of all the macros I want.

#68879 11/24/04 08:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I hate this guy. It took me days to program mine. I'm much faster now, of course. But initially, I needed a translator.

The software is really nice, isn't it Curtis?

Last edited by Ajax; 11/24/04 08:50 PM.

Jack

#68880 11/24/04 08:51 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
curtis, take a look at some of the files at Remote Central. There will be some interesting commands you will find that aren't in the MX-700 data base.

#68881 11/24/04 08:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OH!! The possibilities!!!

I already have this thing more functional than my MX-500. Not that the MX-500 couldn't do it....it just would have taken me longer to setup.

I will look at Remote Central later, but I do not think I will need anything extra from there.

Geez....now my fingers are going to get even more lazy!

#68882 11/24/04 10:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Alright, I'm going to order one and send it to you to get programmed Curtis I gave up on programming (computer code wise) years ago.

#68883 11/24/04 11:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Zarak...it really is not that hard. There is a nice little tutorial online as well. The software seems to be pretty well written.

I have probably spent no more than 30 minutes on it, and have it pretty much dialed in and have macros for:

1. Switching the system on, setting the input for the DirecTiVo, and switch on the TV.

2. Switching the system on, setting it to the DVD player, turning on the DVD, and switch on the TV.

3. Switching the system on, setting it to CD, switch on the disc player, set the P-965 in Pure Audio mode.

4. Switching everything off.

Some buttons are not where I am used to,,,,but I can change that or get used to it.

#68884 11/24/04 11:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So just from comparing my MX-500 to the MX-700...knowing that the MX-500 can be had now for about $80, and the MX-700 for about $180...is it worth it?

If you do not mind spending the time to customize the 500, then the answer is probably no. If you do not have more components than the 500 can handle.....programming it takes time, but if you are patient, you can probably get it to give your the same convenience that the 700 offers.

Now if you want the ease of programming, and thought about getting the IR-Clone package to customize the 500...which is also about $80, then it is a no-brainer. The MX-700 and editing software has by far and away better capabilities and is worth the extra $20. What I just did with the 700 in 30 minutes would easily take me at least an afternoon with the 500.

#68885 11/25/04 12:06 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
What do you do about components that don't have discreet on/off codes if you are programing a macro to turn the whole system on/off?

#68886 11/25/04 12:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Luckily....it looks like I have all the discrete codes that I need.

If you do not have discrete codes for the functions that you need...then you are kind of up the creek.

#68887 11/25/04 12:10 AM
old hand
old hand
You buy a Harmony remote with their SmartState technology.. It keeps track of how it set things so it can always do what it needs to. (Which works great as long as you don't use any other remote to change the 'state' it knows about.)

The Harmony remotes cost a little more, but have a great WAF, and sure makes things easy.

#68888 11/25/04 01:03 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

It keeps track of how it set things so it can always do what it needs to.

That is a great feature!

#68889 11/25/04 02:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Great feature. But what if the device for some reason missed a code?

A lot of devices have discrete codes now that are not published.

#68890 11/25/04 03:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So maybe I can't get the harmony remote to stand up, twirl around, do some dance steps, and lay on the table again, but what is the harmony missing beyond the level of customization the mx700 gives. It seems like we are looking at Harmony (ease of setup and use) vs. mx700 (most functionality)

Is this a fair assessment?

#68891 11/25/04 03:18 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't know much about the Harmony. Is it customizable? I know you load it from the internet, and the tasks are pre-defined. Can you program more tasks or change them?

#68892 11/25/04 03:43 AM
old hand
old hand
You can pretty much customize the Harmony anyway you want, other than making macros. (Their high end remotes can do macros, but you don't need them for most things.)

You can setup lots of activities.

If a device misses a signal, you can just hit the help button, and it will help you get everything back in sync. (Not that I have that happen very often if ever.)

You can program in codes they don't already have in their database, but they have most everything.

#68893 11/25/04 03:49 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Any idea where to find the unpublished codes?

#68894 11/25/04 04:30 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Zarak, in all honesty, the MX-700is very easy to set up.

As far as the "unpublished codes", the discrete codes are usually findable in the files section at Remote Central.

#68895 11/25/04 08:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Before I left for my Parents' house for Thanksgiving(I am there now), I spent five minutes to set the MX-700 up to control my bedroom TV and DirecTV receiver....and one macro.

Sweet!!

#68896 11/25/04 08:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm glad you're pleased, Curtis. Have a happy Thanksturkey day.

Jack

#68897 11/26/04 06:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ray and Jack....after using the MX-700 for a couple of days, I want to thank you for the persuasion, and making my pocketbook a little lighter.....

It is a great remote. If I had a bigger house, and zones, I could see myself easily moving to the MX-800/850.

#68898 11/26/04 08:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You just made my day, Curtis! After Ray and Tom beat me up with their recommendations for the MX-700, I skeptically took the plunge, and have been thrilled ever since.

We both know about the subjectivity of this hobby, when it comes to equipment. This causes me, most of the time, to be very reluctant to make recommendations. But, the MX-700 is the one piece of equipment I own that I virtually have NO qualms whatsoever about recommending.

Although the budget won't let me even think about it, I'm very curious as to what the 850 has to offer. Mustn't think about it. Must be strong. Lock up credit cards!

Jack

#68899 11/26/04 10:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jack...thanks again.

As for the 800/850, the only advantage I see, for me, is the RF functionality. Being able to control systems through walls and from other rooms would be great in a larger house with multiple zones.

#68900 11/27/04 01:29 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Curtis, you are very welcome. I am delighted that YOU are delighted. Always happy to help other folks spend their money. The real fun will be as you begin to come up with new ideas and find that you can tweak the 700 in just a few pain-free minutes on the PC.

Jack, the new MX-850 ("Orion") combines/replaces the MX-700 and MX-800. If you want RF, you get the RF station(?) that is an option. The other big difference is the center wheel being replaced with, essentially, a button. There were some complaints about the center thumb pad on the current models, but I never understood why those few people complained.

#68901 11/27/04 04:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK, I looked at the software again tonight. I went into the IR database and I picked devices that looked like they should work for me. Is that it for that part? There is an LCD button editor that comes up after the devices is selected. Do I need to do anything here, or just apply and move onto the next device? I hoping that is it and you just move onto macros after picking this stuff, but if that is the case, what is the purpose of that screen?

#68902 11/27/04 04:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The LCD Button Editor is for renaming or moving the command found on each button on either side of the LCD screen on the remote. You don't NEED to do anything on this screen if you don't want to.

You'll notice that there are 4 pages on the LCD Button Editor Screen. Some, or all 4, of the pages will have commands on them that are commands for the device you loaded from the IR database. If you wish you can rename any of these commands by double clicking on the command itself, and typing in whatever you wish. Note that on the toolbar at the top of the LCD Button Editor Screen there are symbols you can add to your commands should you want to.

Or, you can rearrange the order of the commands on the pages by simply dragging and dropping the commands wherever you wish. You'll need at least one open command box in order to drag and drop, so if there is a command in every box on every page, you'll have to delete one of the commands that you can do without. If you wish, when your done rearranging the commands you can add the deleted command, and teach the button the command from the remote that came with the device.

These commands will appear on the LCD screen, after you click the "Apply" button on the LCD Button Editor Screen, and then double click on the device button on the Main page of the LCD screen.

I recommend you just practice doing this. You'll make mistakes and have to start over, but when you get things the way you like, you can save that configuration and name it whatever you wish. I have files named HT1 and HT2, HT1 is the configuration I use on the MX-700, and HT2 is where I set things up. If I wanted to try something without messing up my current configuration (HT1), I just open HT2 and experiment there. When I know what I'm doing, I close HT2, and apply what I've learned to HT1. Or I can actually copy and paste an entire device from HT2 into HT1.

Just keep fooling with it, and don't hesitate to consult the manual if you have a question. The index is at the very end of the manual. Page 23 explains the LCD Button Editor more concisely, and accurately than I can.

Jack

#68903 11/27/04 05:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Zarak...where did you download the software from.

I downloaded the copy I played with from SurfRemote, and then did a live update from the Help menu. This updates it with the latest devices.

When the remote arrived, I downloaded a company directly from Home Theater Master website....this version was up to date and did not require anything from the live update.

Just like Jack says...play with it...it is really easy. If you mess up...it is easy to fix.

#68904 11/27/04 01:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I downloaded from the link at the beginning of this thread. It said everything was up to date when I tried live update.

#68905 11/27/04 03:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Then the list in your IR Database should be up to date. If you have a piece of equipment that doesn't appear in that list, there are several things you can do.

1. In the IR Database, you can go down all the models listed by the manufacturer of your piece of equipment, and TEST The codes for each model to see if they work with yours.

Test the Code Set
A.Verify the MX-700/800 is loaded with fresh batteries and connect the MX-700/800 to the PC via the serial port.
B.Turn on the component
C. Point the connected MX-700/800 so that it is in range and within line of sight of the component.
D. Click on the Test button
E. Observe the component. If it stays on, click on another Model and continue until you find the
Code Set that turns the component off. When it turns off, click on Save.

2. You can go to The MX-700 section of the files database at Remote Central to see if anyone has uploaded the codes for your device. Remember that many manufacturers use the same codes for all, or many, of their models. So, If you can't find a file for your specific model, you might want to download and check some files for other models.

3. You can go to the Phillips Pronto & ProntoPRO section of the files database at Remote Central and look for .ccf files for your device. The codes in these files will work, also.

4. You can use the remote that came with your device to "teach" the MX-700 the codes. (Pages 25 to 29 in the manual). It's a bit more time consuming, but once you get into the routine, it can go quite quickly.

Jack

#68906 11/27/04 05:10 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Zarak, Jack has laid the process out very nicely. Please read through the programming manual; it's an easy read and shows the way.

The main attraction for the MX-700 are the files at Remote Central. While the IR Database for the remote can get you functional, the rich set of files users have established at Remote Central can really make the 700 shine with additional codes and ideas for you. Concentrate on the .ccf files in the "Philips Pronto & Pronto Pro" section and this will require use of the Universal Browser piece of MX-Editor, as explained in the manual.

#68907 11/27/04 05:14 PM
regular
regular
In reply to:

1. In the IR Database, you can go down all the models listed by the manufacturer of your piece of equipment, and TEST The codes for each model to see if they work with yours.

That's a great summary Ajax.

With regard to the first step, start by choosing a model number that's closest to yours and take note of the 3-digit code that appears in the "Enter Code Number" box above the model listing. If the codeset you try doesn't work, choose a model number that has a different 3-digit code. This may save you some time going through a long list.

Also, even if your make and model is in the database, if it doesn't have discretes (ie: separate on/off and input commands) for the component your programming, go to the MX-700 and Pronto files mentioned to add discretes that may exist there.

#68908 11/27/04 07:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Geez Jack....a walking MX-700 user manual!

I am working on customizing my MX-700 even more. Testing would be a lot easier if my laptop had a serial port.

#68909 11/27/04 08:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thank you Ray, Mike, and Curtis. Jeez, I'm truly flattered. When I post my explanations, like those above, I'm always cringing with the feeling that I'm just not making sense. That's why I often suggest going to the manual. It says it so much better than I can.

Curtis, I've had this thing more than 6 months, and I'm STILL customizing it. I keep feeling I can get it even more simple than I've got it. The GREAT thing is, it's so easy to make changes and download them, that I have no qualms about changing things. What a blast!

No serial port, Curtis? Yeah, that would make it simpler. I just leave my cable connected to my serial port and tucked neatly out of sight beside the computer. When I want to download, I just whip it out (the cable; THE CABLE! ), plug it in (the cable; THE CABLE ), and do my download.

Jack

#68910 11/27/04 09:08 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Jack, let's not lose our heads here - nobody accused you of making sense! Like you, I tweak this thing often and it makes the whole experience just excellent. While the need for the manual is less and less over time, I keep it handy and seem to learn something new everytime I use it.

I absolutely dreaded fooling with the MX-500 and avoided it as much as possible. Then I needed to pull the manual out when I made changes because I forgot the routine and needed extra hands to use the manual/re-do the 500.

#68911 11/27/04 09:50 PM
OP Offline
Is it easy to reprogram the MX-700 for a new, replacement piece of equipment?

As you may remember, I ordered and received the remote, but I haven't done anything with it yet despite the offers of help. I had company over Thanksgiving, and just really had too much to do before the company came. Now that they left and I had a free day, instead of programming the remote, I spent the day researching a Samsung DLP and ordered it.

So now I'm wondering, should I just wait a few days for that to come in and then reprogram the remote, or just wait for the Samsung to be delivered?

#68912 11/27/04 10:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have the Mx-700 and I love it. It has saved a lot of remote swapping. Most important my wife doesn't complain anymore.The frustration is gone
I would wait for the TV. That way you’re not duplicating your efforts.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#68913 11/27/04 10:32 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Mark - here's where the 700 shines. It has 20 devices available. Just use one of your empty devices and setup your DLP TV. You can continue to use the remote for your existing TV until the new one is delivered. Upon delivery, you are ready to go with the DLP (you will need to tweak any existing macros set up for the older TV for the new DLP).

Once your equipment is all hooked up, you can delete the entire device for the old TV and move the new DLP device around to where you want it.

#68914 11/27/04 11:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Jack, let's not lose our heads here - nobody accused you of making sense!

Sheesh! Rodney Dnagerfield, I tell ya. I'm Rodney Dangerfield.

Jack

#68915 11/27/04 11:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

No serial port, Curtis? Yeah, that would make it simpler. I just leave my cable connected to my serial port and tucked neatly out of sight beside the computer. When I want to download, I just whip it out (the cable; THE CABLE! ), plug it in (the cable; THE CABLE ), and do my download.

Yeah...I have been doing the same thing with my desktop PC. It would be nice to take my laptop/MX-700 to the living room and bedroom to test everything before sending the changes to the remote. I guess that would make it just TOO easy.

#68916 11/28/04 06:12 PM
OP Offline
Well, here it is early Sunday afternoon and I thought I would program my MX-700 today.

I've got a laptop displaying the programming manual .PDF right next to my main computer which has the Editor software open. I'm on page 16 of the manual and I have to ask:

Are you guys SURE this is supposed to be easy?

I dunno... maybe it'll get better when I actually start doing it instead of just reading "what" in the software does "what" on the remote....

Or maybe I have the attention span of a gnat at this stage in my life...!

#68917 11/28/04 06:14 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
See you in an hour, much happier and much more relaxed!!!

#68918 11/28/04 08:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! I would not characterize LEARNING how to program the remote as "easy." But, once you DO learn, the programming is easy. I couldn't learn by reading the manual, and then applying what I'd learned. I had to wade into it, and when I ran into something that stumped me, I'd refer to the manual. I'm sure I'm still not doing things the "easiest" way. But I've got what I've learned working beautifully for me. Don't be afraid to learn by trial and error.

Jack

#68919 11/28/04 08:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One thing to remember.....you really can not mess anything up, so don't be afraid of it.

#68920 11/28/04 09:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

LOL! I would not characterize LEARNING how to program the remote as "easy." But, once you DO learn, the programming is easy.

This is why I think I am going to end up going with Harmony.

#68921 11/28/04 10:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Neither would I characterize learning how to program the MX-700 as difficult. Regardless, once learned, the time and effort is well worth it.

I had the Harmony 659. Couldn't get it to work properly, and hated that I had to go online every time I wanted to program it, or make any sort of a change. It was, for me, 10 times more difficult to learn than the MX-700, much more inconvenient to use, and considerably less versatile. It sits on a shelf collecting dust. But, suit yourself.

Jack

#68922 11/28/04 11:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
From what I can gather, the Harmony does everything for you as long as it is pre-defined on the Harmony site. The upside is that it is "easier" to customize, because you do not do the customization. The downside would be you need the Harmony site to make any changes. How difficult is it to customize if the Harmony site does not have what you want to do pre-defined?

The MX-700 editor is NOT hard. I just watched the 2 minute video that is available on the HomeTheaterMaster website. The only time I have referred to the manual was to make sure I was setting up a delayed macro properly.

Hey Jack...send me your Harmony and I will do a comparison. hehehe

Remote Central has some great reviews of the remotes:
http://www.remotecentral.com/remotes.htm

#68923 11/29/04 12:56 AM
regular
regular
The Harmonys can accept commands learned from your original remotes and you can also input hex code (if available) for commands. If something's not on their site (which is rare), or if you want some non-standard customization, you can call their tech support and they can do it for you. The advantage to the MX-700 (and up) is that you can do everything yourself, as well as have macros on any button you want. With the Harmonys, your only real macros are the "activities". That's a real problem for me because I have macros all over the place in my configuration.

OTOH, if you want something that's quick to set up and easy for the whole family to use, the Harmony's are the best option in their price range. They just don't have the overall horsepower of the MX-700 IMO.

#68924 11/29/04 01:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, I have macros all over the place too. I've no doubt the Harmony is an excellent remote. Look at all the positive reviews and high ratings it has garnered. I'm sure the problem I've had with the 659 is me, rather than the remote. I DO like to do it myself, and I do like the MX-700's versatility.

Oh Curtis, you're a computer guy, and have experience with the MX-500. Of course you didn't have to look at the manual. I dislike you intensely.

Jack

#68925 11/29/04 03:19 AM
OP Offline
I haven't done anything too sophisticated with the MX-700 as of yet, but I want to post some initial reactions.

Once I got beyond the first 20 pages of the manual that describes what every button and window of the software does, and I started actually programming the remote, it's gone very smoothly and simply. The codes for my major pieces of equipment were all available without searching other sources, so the remote is very useable already. There weren't codes for an Onkyo Mini-Disc deck and Philips CD Recorder, but I haven't checked RemoteCentral.com yet. Hopefully, I won't have to use a teaching function- I don't remember where the original remotes are! I also haven't set up any macros as of yet.

The actual programming thus far went very well, and I have to admit that I think it's just fantastic to decide that you would rather choose a different name for a button or have that button in a different location on the remote….as easy as dragging it to the new location. Even though I haven't delved deeply yet, I'm very happy with how easy the software is at this point.

The remote itself has a good feel to my mid-sized hands. As someone else mentioned, the "curved" bottom doesn't really allow easy pressing of buttons while it sits on a table, but I don't have any concerns about that. Again, as mentioned, if the ambient lighting in the room is at a certain dim level, the display is somewhat difficult to read with either the remotes light on or off…. Again, I don't really expect it to grate on me.

There were codes for my Sony monitor that weren't on the original remote. I'm very impressed that I can go straight to different picture modes, for example, when for the last three years I've had to do that through three levels of menus. I also do have direct inputs I've discovered, without doing the scrolling I've been doing forever. (I think it's really cool that I'm gaining all this capability with the old Sony; but I'm really happier yet that the Sony is going to be replaced by a Samsung DLP on Tuesday).

Maybe most surprising is that I feel confident that this will replace my TiVo remote. TiVo users know that's the one remote you pretty much keep in your hands. All the duplicated buttons on this remote are in comfortable positions and the two that were not, in my opinion, I remapped to preferable positions. Very nice!

I've often said that you really can't describe how great a TiVo is; you really just have to use it and before long you can't imagine not having one. I really do see this remote as being the same type of product. I'm already very comfortable in how it switches devices and handles them. It's all been very intuitive. As opposed to my old Sony 2100 Universal Remote which did not furnish replacement buttons for every capability, this remote seems to have a button for every single button the originals had…even more as mentioned above. Finally, finally, finally, it looks like every other remote can be put away!

I'm looking forward to finishing the setup, and I'll report again in several days when I've lived with it a bit and tweaked it even more!

Thanks to all of you who have offered your help in the endeavor- especially Ray!

#68926 11/29/04 03:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ya see! It only took a little bit of time!!

Yes....I use it instead of my DirecTiVo remote. The dedicated DirecTiVo remote is now used by the kids.

#68927 11/29/04 03:56 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Bravo big guy!!! You will shortly be a major tweak-a-holic. Now I'll have to bug you about info on the Tivo.

#68928 11/29/04 05:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Attaboy, Mark! Wait until you set up your macros. I love pushing one button and watching my Sammy DLP turn on, my receiver turn on and change to the DVD input, my DVD player turn on, then everything pauses while the Sammy finishes warming up, then the input switches from the S-Video input to the DVI input, and the tray on the DVD pops open. All I gotta do is stick in the DVD and close the drawer. Viola! Movie!

Mark, note that when programing a macro, there is an "insert delay time" button. With the Sammy DLP, this is a handy feature because it takes about 25 seconds for the lamp to warm up and come on, and the Sammmy won't accept any commands until it does. So the ability to program a delay is important.

Keep us posted, and let us know if we can be of any help. Enjoy!

Jack

#68929 11/29/04 01:14 PM
OP Offline
I'm hoping I'll have some time to program my macros and search for those other codes tonight! I really hope that I have equipment that will allow your scenerio to work!
In reply to:

it takes about 25 seconds for the lamp to warm up and come on

Interesting. That's something I never would have thought of considering that they're always already on in the showrooms!

Ajax, seeing that you have essentially the same model of Sammy that I got, did your research uncover anything that would lead you to get or not get an extended warranty for it? I don't want to hijack my own thread here, and I posted the question somewhere else, I just have to make a decision quickly and am looking for any and all input on it!

#68930 11/29/04 02:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, it's a tough question. I didn't get the extended warranty. But, for the peace of mind it would bring, it might be a good idea. Ascertain if the extended warranty covers the lamp. In the past, they've had problems with lamps burning out much earlier than they're supposed to. I believe that problem was solved long before the HLP models came out. I know I've had no lamp problems.

If the extended warranty DOESN'T cover the lamp, or if you chose NOT to get the extended warranty. You might look into purchasing a spare lamp, just so you have one on hand. They are expensive ($241), and once you get used to your Sammy, you won't want to have a bulb go out on you and be TVless while you order and wait for a replacement to be shipped to you.

Should you decide to do this, be sure you get the correct lamp. There should be a little sticker, with the correct lamp number, on the outside of the TV, on the door where you change the lamp. Changing a lamp is fairly easy, just be gentle and don't force anything. There will be instructions on how to do it in the manual.

Oh! Once the lamp comes on, it takes another 25 seconds or so for it to get up to it's normal brightness. It's one of the disadvantages of the DLP sets.

You also might look into having your Sammy ISF calibrated. It can make a BIG difference in how your set looks. There happens to be a guy, out of Maine, who just did my set, and serves all of New England with no travel fees, which I had to pay. He's Gregg Loewen of Lion AV He really knows his stuff. Unfortunately, this is another expensive proposition ($400). (Is there anything INEXPENSIVE about this hobby? Not that I know of.) Do a Google search on "ISF Calibration" and you'll find more information that will help you decide if you want to do it or not.

Jack

#68931 11/29/04 03:59 PM
regular
regular
Regarding the warm up delay on the Sammy, this is something that occurs in varying degrees with almost any RPTV. One thing you can do is have your "All Off" macro (if you have one) switch the Sammy to the most normally used input (ie: Tivo) before it shuts everything off. That way you can keep the input change out of your "Watch TV" macro and just include it in the lesser used ones.

Mark, now that you're into the programming, I think you'll find it a lot easier. I usually recommend playing around with the software awhile before going to the manual. It usually makes more sense that way.

Oh, I agree with looking into calibration and Gregg is one of the best.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020