Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Re: More MX-700 Questions from an ignorant remote
#68925 11/29/04 03:19 AM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
I haven't done anything too sophisticated with the MX-700 as of yet, but I want to post some initial reactions.

Once I got beyond the first 20 pages of the manual that describes what every button and window of the software does, and I started actually programming the remote, it's gone very smoothly and simply. The codes for my major pieces of equipment were all available without searching other sources, so the remote is very useable already. There weren't codes for an Onkyo Mini-Disc deck and Philips CD Recorder, but I haven't checked RemoteCentral.com yet. Hopefully, I won't have to use a teaching function- I don't remember where the original remotes are! I also haven't set up any macros as of yet.

The actual programming thus far went very well, and I have to admit that I think it's just fantastic to decide that you would rather choose a different name for a button or have that button in a different location on the remote….as easy as dragging it to the new location. Even though I haven't delved deeply yet, I'm very happy with how easy the software is at this point.

The remote itself has a good feel to my mid-sized hands. As someone else mentioned, the "curved" bottom doesn't really allow easy pressing of buttons while it sits on a table, but I don't have any concerns about that. Again, as mentioned, if the ambient lighting in the room is at a certain dim level, the display is somewhat difficult to read with either the remotes light on or off…. Again, I don't really expect it to grate on me.

There were codes for my Sony monitor that weren't on the original remote. I'm very impressed that I can go straight to different picture modes, for example, when for the last three years I've had to do that through three levels of menus. I also do have direct inputs I've discovered, without doing the scrolling I've been doing forever. (I think it's really cool that I'm gaining all this capability with the old Sony; but I'm really happier yet that the Sony is going to be replaced by a Samsung DLP on Tuesday).

Maybe most surprising is that I feel confident that this will replace my TiVo remote. TiVo users know that's the one remote you pretty much keep in your hands. All the duplicated buttons on this remote are in comfortable positions and the two that were not, in my opinion, I remapped to preferable positions. Very nice!

I've often said that you really can't describe how great a TiVo is; you really just have to use it and before long you can't imagine not having one. I really do see this remote as being the same type of product. I'm already very comfortable in how it switches devices and handles them. It's all been very intuitive. As opposed to my old Sony 2100 Universal Remote which did not furnish replacement buttons for every capability, this remote seems to have a button for every single button the originals had…even more as mentioned above. Finally, finally, finally, it looks like every other remote can be put away!

I'm looking forward to finishing the setup, and I'll report again in several days when I've lived with it a bit and tweaked it even more!

Thanks to all of you who have offered your help in the endeavor- especially Ray!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#68926 11/29/04 03:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ya see! It only took a little bit of time!!

Yes....I use it instead of my DirecTiVo remote. The dedicated DirecTiVo remote is now used by the kids.

#68927 11/29/04 03:56 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Bravo big guy!!! You will shortly be a major tweak-a-holic. Now I'll have to bug you about info on the Tivo.

#68928 11/29/04 05:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Attaboy, Mark! Wait until you set up your macros. I love pushing one button and watching my Sammy DLP turn on, my receiver turn on and change to the DVD input, my DVD player turn on, then everything pauses while the Sammy finishes warming up, then the input switches from the S-Video input to the DVI input, and the tray on the DVD pops open. All I gotta do is stick in the DVD and close the drawer. Viola! Movie!

Mark, note that when programing a macro, there is an "insert delay time" button. With the Sammy DLP, this is a handy feature because it takes about 25 seconds for the lamp to warm up and come on, and the Sammmy won't accept any commands until it does. So the ability to program a delay is important.

Keep us posted, and let us know if we can be of any help. Enjoy!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#68929 11/29/04 01:14 PM
OP Offline
I'm hoping I'll have some time to program my macros and search for those other codes tonight! I really hope that I have equipment that will allow your scenerio to work!
In reply to:

it takes about 25 seconds for the lamp to warm up and come on

Interesting. That's something I never would have thought of considering that they're always already on in the showrooms!

Ajax, seeing that you have essentially the same model of Sammy that I got, did your research uncover anything that would lead you to get or not get an extended warranty for it? I don't want to hijack my own thread here, and I posted the question somewhere else, I just have to make a decision quickly and am looking for any and all input on it!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#68930 11/29/04 02:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, it's a tough question. I didn't get the extended warranty. But, for the peace of mind it would bring, it might be a good idea. Ascertain if the extended warranty covers the lamp. In the past, they've had problems with lamps burning out much earlier than they're supposed to. I believe that problem was solved long before the HLP models came out. I know I've had no lamp problems.

If the extended warranty DOESN'T cover the lamp, or if you chose NOT to get the extended warranty. You might look into purchasing a spare lamp, just so you have one on hand. They are expensive ($241), and once you get used to your Sammy, you won't want to have a bulb go out on you and be TVless while you order and wait for a replacement to be shipped to you.

Should you decide to do this, be sure you get the correct lamp. There should be a little sticker, with the correct lamp number, on the outside of the TV, on the door where you change the lamp. Changing a lamp is fairly easy, just be gentle and don't force anything. There will be instructions on how to do it in the manual.

Oh! Once the lamp comes on, it takes another 25 seconds or so for it to get up to it's normal brightness. It's one of the disadvantages of the DLP sets.

You also might look into having your Sammy ISF calibrated. It can make a BIG difference in how your set looks. There happens to be a guy, out of Maine, who just did my set, and serves all of New England with no travel fees, which I had to pay. He's Gregg Loewen of Lion AV He really knows his stuff. Unfortunately, this is another expensive proposition ($400). (Is there anything INEXPENSIVE about this hobby? Not that I know of.) Do a Google search on "ISF Calibration" and you'll find more information that will help you decide if you want to do it or not.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#68931 11/29/04 03:59 PM
regular
regular
Regarding the warm up delay on the Sammy, this is something that occurs in varying degrees with almost any RPTV. One thing you can do is have your "All Off" macro (if you have one) switch the Sammy to the most normally used input (ie: Tivo) before it shuts everything off. That way you can keep the input change out of your "Watch TV" macro and just include it in the lesser used ones.

Mark, now that you're into the programming, I think you'll find it a lot easier. I usually recommend playing around with the software awhile before going to the manual. It usually makes more sense that way.

Oh, I agree with looking into calibration and Gregg is one of the best.

Mike Surf Remote Control Surf Audio Video
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020