Rate Thread
Various HT Speaker and wire questions
#71092 12/08/04 01:52 PM
Saint Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
See this photo:

This is a scan of the blueprints to my apartment, with the speakers crudely (not to scale) drawn in.

Question 1:

Since there are no side walls, and I'd rather not use the Axiom QS stands due to their lack of hight, is it better to Rear wall mount the "surrounds" (I only have 5.1) or to get some metal bracks and "ceiling mount" them and angle them down? (the "wall" to the left is a floor to ceiling window)

2. For the surrounds, I assume the wiring should run through the wall to some binding post jacks behind the t.v. so I can neatly connect them to the HT receiver? Should I do the same with the fronts or is that overkill?

3. Any other suggestions? How do I wire for 7.1 if I don't have the speakers yet?

Last edited by Saint; 12/08/04 01:57 PM.

------- Saint Harman Kardon AVR-120,Axiom VP100,Axiom M22Ti, Axiom QS8, Axiom EP-175
Re: Various HT Speaker and wire questions
#71093 12/08/04 03:15 PM
devotee
devotee
Hey Saint. To answer your third question first. Run wire to all the places you have listed. If you run them to both locations you suggest for your 5.1, you'll be set for 7.1. This, in part, should help with decision making for question 1. I'm the type that likes testing things. So I'd suggest to run wires to both locations, and go from there and see what sounds better to you by having a friend (or preferably two) hold the speakers in the locations (the sides one time, then the back loaction another) they'd be hung and go by what your ears tell you.
To answer question 2. Do as much as you want. But, unless you find people peaking back behind your speakers or it's very viewable from everywhere, I wouldn't worry too much about running the speaker wire into the wall for the fronts. I'm sure they'll be to captivated by the wonderful sound to care.

Good luck and have fun!

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
#71094 12/08/04 03:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice to see you back, Jordan.

Some pretty good advice from Misfit. I don't think locating the surrounds in either place you are considering would give you BAD results, though I lean toward ceiling mounting them to the side. It just comes down to what you would prefer. I'd wager you'll find people here that have them mounted both ways. I know Daphoid has his ceiling mounted in roughly the same place you propose, and is completely happy.

However, if you're going to mount them on the back wall you might want to move them farther apart so as to get them away from the couch, even if doing so gets the left surround close to the corner. I know that Ray has his on a shelf in the corner aiming out at a 45 degree angle, and is quite satisfied. Experimentation, as Misfit pointed out, will give you a good idea of what will work for you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#71095 12/08/04 05:41 PM
veteran
veteran
One thing that springs to mind looking at your picture is that you are probably waaaay too far from the TV and front speakers. Any chance of moving the couch forward 5 feet or more?

#71096 12/08/04 05:44 PM
Saint Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My t.v. is HUGE. I find with a 51" Screen the further away you are the better.

If I was going to move the couch forward, instead I'd put the opposite wall, and put the couch where I've placed the TV (but closer) to leave walking room to the balcony door.

What's the ideal sitting distance?

------- Saint Harman Kardon AVR-120,Axiom VP100,Axiom M22Ti, Axiom QS8, Axiom EP-175
#71097 12/08/04 06:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Saint,

I have a 50" widescreen TV on a stand, with M60's either side (maybe 7 or 8 feet apart) and I find a sitting distance of around 6 to 8 feet optimal for good stereo imaging. There is a photo if you follow the link to my website.

#71098 12/09/04 03:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I am going to be putting my QS8's on the rear wall much like you are talking, but I have the wires run so that they will not be directly over the couch, but wider.

When I asked Alan from Axiom about rear mounting my QS8's, he said that he has his couch on the back wall with the QS8's mounted on the back wall as well, so it must work fairly well.
I am mounting mine about 8-10 inches from the ceiling to allow sound to reflect better off of the ceiling to create a better sound field. To close to the ceiling will "trap" the sound, and too far away will have them too close to ear level.

I think that you are quite a distance away from your 51" TV too, but hey, it is your preference, not mine or anyone elses, that is what is important. (I am looking at a 96"-106" screen from 11' away. I've tested the 96" screen with an old projector, and I thought that I could easily enjoy something even a little bit bigger.)

Best of luck...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#71099 12/09/04 04:12 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Let's not forget that the type of monitor that's used, as well as the source material, are very big factors in the "proper" and comfortable recommended viewing distances.

Good HD can make a person want to pull their chair in closer, but a lousy, huge rear projector playing a VHS SLP tape? Anywhere in the same room is too close for me!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,081 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup