Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Diana Krall DVD in stereo
#73594 12/25/04 05:24 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm rather new at home theater and serious stereo listening ... please pardon the naive feelings of audio excitement

I found Diana Krall's album, "Live in Paris" frequently mentioned in the Axiom forums. Wanted to find out if the album sounds that good on my M80s. I finally rented this DVD from netflix. I thought I'll evaluate my M80s and see if they are good with stereo imaging as well.

They didn't disappoint. The imaging was crystal clear. I don't have a sub yet, but the bass guitar was clear and deep as well. Diana Krall seemed like she was right in front of me in the second song.

I finally understood Alan L's tips on evaluating speakers for stereo listening, i.e., can i clearly picture in my mind the location of the different instruments, does the vocal portion sound natural etc.

Any other albums you guys can recommend that will show off my new Axiom speakers? Thanks very much.
Ananth

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3

Re: Diana Krall DVD in stereo
#73595 12/25/04 03:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ananth,

I'm a big fan of DVD concerts, and "Live in Paris" is my absolute favorite. I really enjoy watching as well as listening. But, if I have other things to do, I can just listen, and ignore the video, if I choose.

The following are all DVD concerts.

I don't know your musical tastes, but you might give "Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans" a try.

If you enjoy modern country music (more country rock, than country) Give "Faith Hill - When The Lights Go Down" a play. I'm not a big country fan, but this lady is the real deal. Not only does she sound good, but she looks good too. I REALLY enjoyed this concert. (Thank you, Ray! ) There's also "Alison Krauss + Union Station Live"

In the Rock 'n' Roll genre, there's always "The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over" DVD.

If you're in a Public Broadcasting kinda mood, try [/url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000077ZND/qid=1103986446/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5654537-0900600?v=glance&s=dvd"Josh Groban - In Concert[/url]

And, there's always old favorite "James Taylor - Pull Over" or "James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theatre"

Again, these are all DVDs not CDS. You certainly can listen to them in stereo, but to really hear them at their best, you gotta get that sub and add a center and surrounds, and listen in DTS or Dolby 5.1. Though I'm not sure, I believe there are CD versions of all these concerts available.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#73596 12/25/04 03:42 PM
B
hobbyist
hobbyist
B
I have the DVD for a concert featuring the artist from "Oh Borther, Where art Thou?" Called Down From the Mountain and I REALLY enjoy it. Great for fans of southern blues and gospel. Some lesser known artists, some more famous (Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris).

#73597 12/25/04 03:47 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi Jack,
I added the Norah Jones album to my rental queue -- thanks! My tastes in music are fairly varied, I'm guessing I'll enjoy most, if not all of your recommendations.

BTW, with the exception of a sub, I have a 7.1 Axiom speaker system. I merely wanted to evaluate the sound imaging that the M80s would produce on their own, hence my attempt to listen in stereo mode.

Here's my wish list for 2005; I had to stop after buying a new receiver (Denon 3805) and Axiom speakers (M80, VP150, QS8x4) because of the budget factor
a. one of SVS 20-39pci/SVS 25-31pc+/HSU VTF-3 MKII
b. Samsung HL-P4663W

Thanks again Jack.
Ananth

#73598 12/25/04 04:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You're very welcome, Ananth. Sorry about the Josh Groban link. Obviously, I bailed out before checking it adequately.

I linked all the titles to Amazon because you can listen to bits of the tracks to get an idea if you'd like the DVD. By all means, you should do a search to see if you can find better prices if you intend to buy. If you're only renting, all this is irrelevant.

Babalu, thanks for the tip. I'll have to check out that concert.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#73599 12/25/04 08:26 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I can recommend The Band's "The Last Waltz" which many (ok, me) consider the greatest rock movie available on DVD in 5.1. I always loved this album and the 5.1 is pretty good. The video sets this apart from other rock concert movies as Scorsese doesn't do crowd shots and focusses on the performers, a long list of luminaries from the 1970s. The music definitely sounds better than my CD version.

Great! First replace vinyl. Now replace CD. When will it end!?

Merry Christmas everyone.

-dale

#73600 12/25/04 09:08 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Great indeed! The Muddy Waters segment alone is worth the price of admission.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#73601 12/25/04 11:09 PM
local
local
edvacdude, it appears you have 7.1 speakers and amp, but no discrete 5.1 music playback (except for Dolby 5.1).

If surround music is important, I'd recommend a combo player (DVD/CD/DVD-A/SACD), or lacking that an SACD player.

For DVD vido albums, Roger Waters - Live In the Flesh is great, both sound and video. Waters wrote all the lyrics on Pink Floyd's famous Dark Side of the Moon album.

For surround music without a DVD-A or SACD player, DVD-A albums have a Dolby 5.1 "fallback" track which sounds great. You can play them on most any DVD player. Good examples: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DVD-A), Eagles - Hotel California (DVD-A).

If you have SACD playback there are some superb surround albums: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD), Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD), Roxy Music - Avalon (SACD), David Bowie -- Ziggy Stardust (SACD). The Pink Floyd SACD album is especially spectacular.

Just because an album is SACD, DVD-A or surround doesn't guarantee it will sound good (even on Axiom speakers!) There are lots of poorly-engineered albums out there.

#73602 12/26/04 02:44 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
joema,
A universal DVD player is definitely on my wish list; missed including it I initiallly bought the Denon 3910, but had to return it, because I overran my spending limit Hopefully by the time I get to buying a dvd player next year, prices may have dropped on it, or I may end up buying the 2910.

It would have been nice if Denon had provided for their Digital Link feature in the 2910 model; I'm unable to budget for the 3910 which is double the price! Oh well ...

Ananth

#73603 12/26/04 06:09 AM
local
local
Just remember you can play most DVD-A discs RIGHT NOW on your regular DVD player. You'll get Digital Dolby 5.1 quality, which is generally better than CD, plus surround.

Unfortunately there aren't many DVD-A discs, and fewer still good ones. The Fleetwood Mac and Eagles DVD-As are good, and I very highly recommend them.

I also have Neil Young - Harvest (DVD-A), REM - Greatest Hits (DVD-A), Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (DVD-A), Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (DVD-A). All great artistically, but the surround mix is sub-par on all of them IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters