AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13315 Members
11 Forums
22873 Topics
404168 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17767
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11192
MarkSJohnson 10875
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Get a Gift Card Worth 20% of Your Purchase! Save hundreds!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7959 - 01/14/03 04:23 PM M60 ear fatigue?
truenorth Offline
regular

After considerable research I decided to go with the Axiom towers. I first bought a pair of M40ti and found it lacking a bid in the upper middle frequency compared to my old PolkAudio SDA compacts. Otherwise, it outperformed the Polks. Not satisfied I then upgraded to the M60ti which produced my missing upper middle sound I found lacking in the M40tis. Overall I am happy with the sound except that I noticed that I now have a listner fatigue after 15 minuites of listening at normal listening level in my 18x14x8.5 room with me sitting roughly 12 feet from the speakers slightly toe-in. Could this be related to the resistor adjustment phenomemon posted in the other post?

Thanks.

#7960 - 01/14/03 04:52 PM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
alan Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Toronto/New York/Dwight
Hi truenorth,

It could be. There are two values of resistors available. One lowers the tweeter output by 1to 2 dB. It's audible and noticeable but not dramatic. I use resistors on my M80ti's but not on the M22ti's.

The other value of resistor considerably reduces the tweeter output. Call Joe Vassallo and ask him to send you a couple of resistors. They are easy to install. He'll tell you how.

Regards,

#7961 - 01/14/03 08:55 PM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
ralderman Offline
old hand

Loc: Maryland
Hi all,
This is very interesting to me, can you explain the use of resistors in more detail, what is the benefits? What is the audible difference?

Thanks,

Rick

#7962 - 01/15/03 09:45 AM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
Patchwork Offline
veteran

the listening fatigue you are experiencing is likely due to the tweeters putting out too much sound. Consider it like if the treble setting on your receiver was too high. These resistors will lessen the dedibel level (volume output) of the tweeter. This would be like permanently reducing the treble setting.

Most listening fatigue occurs when speakers sound too bright to someone, which is quite likely what you are experiencing. I get that sometimes on my M22's when a recording is not very good. I also used to get it all the time from my computer speakers that had boomy, one-note bass.

#7963 - 01/15/03 04:47 PM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
jazzdrummer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland, US
I had a similar experience with my M60's. I used the resistors from Joe and they helped considerably. I would recommend giving it a try, just be careful removing the tweeter from the cabinet - they are verrrrry delicate.

#7964 - 01/16/03 12:35 AM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
truenorth Offline
regular

Hi Guys, Joe is sending me the resistors and will let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks!

#7965 - 01/24/03 09:37 PM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
truenorth Offline
regular

Ok. Now I am a happy camper! I installed the 2.7 ohm resistors and my ears are no longer complaining. As jazzdrummer mentioned before the toughest part in the entire process was to pop those tweeters out of the cabinet. Hint, if you are trying this I would suggest to use a very small flat screw driver to "pop" the tweeters. Now, I am wondering how is my ear going to react if I were to install 1.2 ohm resistors instead... something for alater project. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

#7966 - 01/25/03 04:26 AM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
Randyman Offline
veteran

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
ALOHA Alan!!!

It would be nice to know at what frequency the resistors reduce the outout. Are they aimed at a specific frequency and then attenuate at a lesser amount from that specific frequency (i.e a bell curve) or do they reduce the volume flat across a specific range.

I know I have been gone a LONG time (I was in school in Virginia for 4 months) and I am trying to get back into the swing of things.

We have had a lot of discussion here (in the past) about listening fatigue from the M60s (and I experience it on mine from some recordings) - but I am curious about this (so called) cure with the resistors. And wouldn't it be "almost" as good a effect to just lower the treble a bit???

Randyman!!!!!!!!!

#7967 - 01/25/03 06:04 AM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
fhw Offline
devotee

Loc: London, ON
Bite your tongue, Randyman!

No self-respecting audiophile would EVER touch the tone controls.

Welcome back.

#7968 - 01/25/03 07:53 AM Re: M60 ear fatigue?
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Welcome back, Randey(I remembered). Inserting a resistor in series with the tweeter reduces its output uniformly over its entire operating range, unlike the effect of a tone control.I'd be hesitant to do that, and not being an audiophile, would have no hesitancy in using the tone controls or even a graphic equalizer to help some of the lousy recording jobs sound less appalling.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.