Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: OT: DIY building my own dvd rack.
#81345 02/14/05 03:01 PM
buff
buff
The following assumes you want this open-ended, with no back or sides, just shelves. If your open to other designs, we can address those later.

Shelving is going to depend on what tools you own. If all you have is a hammer, circular saw and drill, you're going to be limited on the design. If that is the case, and this is ONLY a DVD/CD rack, then you could use MDF or a pine with extra vertical support columns. That covers the support issues, it's cheap and easy to put together. Remember, if using those two choices for building material, always prime first, and the paint will look much better.

If you don't want any extra support columns, and this might be used as an equipment rack, then I would use a hardwood(oak, braz.cherry, or a maple). Not saying that the other two mentioned materials won't work if no extra support is used, but why even take the chance. You don't want to be limited on weight if you're taking the time to custom build this unit. Also, if you use the hardwoods, you can stain the unit to match your current decor(I'm a fan of the hardwoods and nice stains).

Like anything, and what was mentioned before, if you cut exotic hardwoods or MDF, use a mask and glasses. That stuff isn't good for your lungs or eyes, but that's just part of the game.

[blue] "Welcome to my sky! Now buckle in for the ride!" [/blue]
Re: OT: DIY building my own dvd rack.
#81346 02/14/05 03:58 PM
veteran
veteran
1x6 boards should be plenty strong, up to about 5' wide. A better bet might be 3/4" ply (get a nice hardwood finish on one side), and rip it into 5-6" shelves. You can cover the cut end with a veneer or hardwood trim of the same wood species.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters