Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 62 of 101 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 100 101
Re: the wine thread
pmbuko #205908 04/29/08 06:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
yep...If I'd bought a bottle of Four Vines, it would have been the Chardonnay.

fyi...had a bottle of 2001 Kenwood Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon tonight.

Very smooth, yummy fruit. Not very spicy, and old enough to eliminate nearly all the tongue biting tannins. Crazy easy to drink. Almost too easy for my taste. But still very tasty.

I just googled it, and was surprised to see the price online is between $60-70 per bottle. I paid $59 at a restaurant!

HomeDad #208446 05/17/08 11:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Having just returned from the wine festival, i'm unimpressed at the offerings this year.
Found only one i liked, never got through the whole show (vendors seem bent on dog and pony shows holding up the tastings) and the price went up another 5 bucks a head this year.

At some point it will become too pricey a ticket to bother attending anymore.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Paso Robles
spiffnme #208493 05/18/08 08:21 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Paso Robles looks like a good place to visit this fall. I was planning on going back to Napa, but I’m getting tired of the over inflated Napa prices. It’s getting hard to find a good bottle from Napa for under $20.

Are there good restaurants and decent places to stay in the Paso Robles area? How far of a drive is it between the wineries? In comparison to Napa, how is this are for the whole wine tasting experience one can expect from the Napa area?

chesseroo #208495 05/18/08 09:39 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
After another weekend of overindulgence, I have a few really great bottles to put on the list and a few to avoid as well.

Thursday started out harmlessly when I went to pick up a couple boxes of wine at a friend’s house that UPS dropped off for me while I was out of state. My buddy asked me if I was thirsty….six bottles later I went home.

Selby Pinot Noir – Outstanding Pinot. Crisp, ripe fruit on the nose and pallet. Nice finish. Medium body. http://www.selbywinery.com/vintages/currentvintages/a05LovePinotNoir.html

Can Blau Celler – Another great bottle from Spain. It’s a red blend that we found to be very well balanced with a nice fruity nose and pallet with just a hint of spice and smoke. This one is hard to believe it’s under $20. http://www.wine.com/v6/wineshop/Detail.aspx?product_id=93492

Nickel and Nickel chardonnay – Excellent chard with just the right amount of oak. At about $50 though, it’s not one I’d buy.

Rudd Winery Sauv Blanc – All of us were in agreement that this is the best Sauv Blanc we ever had. It was amazingly crisp with all kinds of ripe fruit. Pretty spendy for a Sauv Blanc at $35 though…. http://www.ruddwines.com/wines_sauv.cfm

2003 - Lamborn First Vintage Cab Sav. This bottle was opened to see if it was still good due to a mistake when storing it. It was stored too close to a cooling unit and had ice on the bottle. My buddy has several of these and all were stored wrong, so he decided to open one and get the anxiety over with. It was freaking wonderful. This bottle is on my top five now. Definitely one of the best bottles I’ve ever had. The nose was amazing. It’s one of those nice crisp fruity noses that you don’t need to put your nose in the glass to smell and not a hint of being too ripe or jammy – a perfect nose to me. I couldn’t find any fault with this bottle. They are out of the 03, but you can still buy some 04’s, which is their second vintage. I was told the 04 is even better, but have not opened one yet. http://www.lamborn.com/lambornfamily/page/exclusive.jsp

1927 Alvear Pedro Ziminex – This is a half bottle I bought from wine.com. They blend new barrels with old barrels, which is how it can be called a 1927 wine, because they blend it with the 1927 vintage. I’m not all that familiar with the process, but the wine sure was tasty. It’s super viscous and very, very sweat. A half bottle goes a long way. If you like thick desert wines, you’ll love this one. http://www.wine.com/v6/wineshop/Detail.aspx?product_id=92464

Friday night was a birth day party for a friend’s kid. We all brought a bottle of wine and tasted each. Out of all the bottles drank (many), only one is worth mentioning.

06 Wattle Creek Pinot. I am a wine club member of this winery and have yet to drink a bottle of theirs I haven’t enjoyed. The Pinot is one of theirs that sells out pretty fast, so this was a first time trying it for me. It did not disappoint any of us and I’ve already ordered two more cases because all my friends want a few bottles. It had everything I like; fresh fruit on the nose, nice crisp pallet and a good finish. http://shop.wattlecreek.com/product.php?productid=66&cat=53&page=1

Last night was another BB party. This time a friend turned 50, so we all chipped in and splurged with some real nice bottles. One’s worth mentioning……

99 Silverado Merlot. I’ve been hanging on to this one for a while and was concerned it might be too old. It wasn’t. Unfortunately, it just didn’t do much for me. The birth day boy loved it, so that’s all that really counts.

2000 – Marietta Angeli Cuvee. YUK…. I can’t believe I’ve been keeping this one for so long. It sucked. The 99 was an outstanding bottle, but all the other Angeli Cuvee’s have been horrible in comparison.

Selby Zin – I was disappointed with this one. Too jammy, even for a zin. http://www.selbywinery.com/vintages/currentvintages/a06BobcatZin.html

05 Jericho Canyon Cab Sav - I had to redeem myself for the Marietta, so I opened one of two of these I bought a few months ago. It was outstanding. I’d put this one right up there with the Lamborn we drank Thursday. On a point scale, this one would be a 96 with the Lamborn being a 97 (to me anyway). A little pricey (Napa, go figure), but I don’t feel ripped off. http://www.brix26.com/products/Jericho_C...alley-25-0.html

05 Papillon Cab Sav – I’ve mentioned this one before in this thread, and it’s still just as good. http://www.brix26.com/products/Orin_Swift_2005_Papillon_Cabernet_Sauvignon_Napa_Valley-335-0.html

05 Nickel and Nickel Merlot. We were a little disappointed with this bottle. After the Jericho and Papillion though, it would have to be a heck of a bottle to be noticed, which it wasn’t.

03 Fleury Red. At a $140 I was not impressed. Pretty bottle with a wax seal, but not worth the money.

99 Ridge Monte Bello – We finished the night with this bottle. The Monte Bello is the Napa Cab that dethroned France back in ’71. Year after year, the Monte Bello continues to score in the mid to high 90’. I’m not sure if my pallet was saturated at this point of the night, or if this bottle just all that great because it just didn’t “wow” me like I thought it would. It was a damn nice bottle, but just not on pare with the Lamborn or Jericho. http://www.wine.com/V6/Ridge-Monte-Bello-Cabernet-Sauvignon-1999/wine/55568/detail.aspx

Re: Paso Robles
michael_d #208496 05/18/08 09:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mike, Paso is a great place to go if you enjoy wine and don't want to spend a fortune, we go at least 3 to 4 times a year.
There are stretches of the highway where you can literally drive next door and hit 20 different wineries, or you can travel some of the back roads and find ton's of little boutique vintners.
This is a great resource for Paso itself pasowines
We always stay at the beach with my Brother In-law when we visit, but there is a place that I've always wanted to stay right in the middle of everything. Villa Toscana

The most I have ever paid for a bottle in Paso was $85.00 for a 2004 Turley Sirah, that we drank Tue. on my wifes birthday, and it was excellent.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
michael_d #208498 05/19/08 01:58 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Someone please remind me why i shouldn't move to Alaska again?
They seem to get more wines than our local stores.
They have money to buy it.
They drink many bottles of it.
So what were the cons?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #208502 05/19/08 04:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Many months of no daylight and extreme cold. ;\)

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #208515 05/19/08 02:23 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
He already lives in Canadia.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #208516 05/19/08 02:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That Sam the Eagle sig still makes me smile!

\:\)

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #208548 05/19/08 10:07 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Thanks Michael. That B&B looks very nice. I was all fired up to book the “cottage”, but at $2000 a night I think I’ll pass. The main house rooms look great though. I’ll see if the wino crew wants to go here instead of Napa this fall. They are also talking about going to the Walla-Walla area. While we all enjoy Napa, it’s time to venture out some more.

Chess, there’s plenty of drawbacks to living here. So many in fact, I’m looking at property in the lower 48 to move to in four years. I’m tired of two seasons and living in a remote area. The pay is a bit higher here than the national average, but so is the cost of living. It off-sets itself. My employer pays well, but they are global and the pay is the same everywhere. I just don’t have as many other hobbies as most other folks who live closer to civilization, so I have more to spend on the few hobbies I do have. And after drinking a damn fine bottle of wine that costs about a hundred bucks, one becomes a bit numb to the price, as long as the bottle is worth it. It’s those bottles that cost a lot that are crap that piss me off. And I doubt I can get much more than you can locally. I belong to several clubs that ship the stuff to me.

Page 62 of 101 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters